Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 04:52 PM

12 posts, read 24,273 times

Advertisements

Hi, My family and I are moving from New York to New Jersey in order to be near to my elderly parents. We are looking fora single family home or townhouse from 250-300K. We have been looking where the taxes are reasonable (or, as reasonable as their going to get). We do not want to just live anywhere, to us crime is a factor. We need to have accessibility to transportation into NYC, so we have been looking in places like Union, plainfield, roselle, hillside, etc, we are at wits end and could use some advice. I like areas like Sayreville, Edison etc. But it does'nt seem like we are gonna get any bang for the buck. Especially when it comes to taxes, so any advice that anyone can give us would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 05:02 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,905,478 times
Try Belleville (essex county) or Kearny (hudson county).

Old 02-15-2010, 08:17 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,019,551 times
People seem to like Rahway. It has a brand new train staiton and the town has been going through a major redevelopment phase for a few years. There are many new townhomes and condos available.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:54 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,859 times
You will never find a place in NJ where taxes are reasonable and a decent home in your price range of 250K. Sayreville is a dump. Edison is just as bad. I suggest you move to South Jersey or really out of NJ for reasonable prices.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:04 AM

thanks everyone for the responses! My wife and I are really doing our homework. We are going to take a look at West Orange. I know that the taxes are high in Essex county, but we are going to look at two properties in our price range. I am just a little concerned why the taxes are low knowing what I know about West Orange.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:10 PM

24 posts, read 103,878 times
Older homes have low taxes compared to newer homes. Also the towns with the best schools have higher taxes. Try Old Bridge, South River, North Brunswick for somewhat low taxes, lower crime rate and are 1 hr commute to NYC.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:28 AM

12 posts, read 134,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson1576 View Post
thanks everyone for the responses! My wife and I are really doing our homework. We are going to take a look at West Orange. I know that the taxes are high in Essex county, but we are going to look at two properties in our price range. I am just a little concerned why the taxes are low knowing what I know about West Orange.
I was going to suggest West Orange. We are looking for our first home in the same price range, and have found quite a few properties in our range there. Often they will need some updating, but are not complete fixer-uppers.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:47 PM

We are also looking in that area, and have in fact found a good agent, But, we are looking everywhere! We don't want to just settle, we are looking for the right fit!

Old 02-18-2010, 08:24 PM

19 posts, read 124,533 times
Hi Samson1576,

I'm from Brooklyn, NY and just recently bought a home in Union, NJ (Putnam Manor section). I absolutely LOVE it! The taxes are relatively decent, I have the bus that goes direct to Port Authority right across the street, the Union train station a little walk away (prob about 15-20 min). I get in to the city in about 30-45 min generally. My budget was 250-300 and I ended up buying this home for 290k because the former owner was a pig(!) and it's a little bit of a fixer (mostly cosmetic). I highly recommend this area! I recently saw a home a few blocks away that looked pretty fantastic for the price ($275) and considering it was in the Washington school district, I was very surprised at that price. Give it a shot...

Old 02-19-2010, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizFit View Post
Hi Samson1576,

I'm from Brooklyn, NY and just recently bought a home in Union, NJ (Putnam Manor section). I absolutely LOVE it! The taxes are relatively decent, I have the bus that goes direct to Port Authority right across the street, the Union train station a little walk away (prob about 15-20 min). I get in to the city in about 30-45 min generally. My budget was 250-300 and I ended up buying this home for 290k because the former owner was a pig(!) and it's a little bit of a fixer (mostly cosmetic). I highly recommend this area! I recently saw a home a few blocks away that looked pretty fantastic for the price ($275) and considering it was in the Washington school district, I was very surprised at that price. Give it a shot...
Thanks so much, I really do like union, it has that homey feel to it, and I am familiar with the area because I shop on Rt. 22 from time to time. It is definitely one of our choices!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey