Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 12:15 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times

Advertisements

Many take the bus, using the Park & Ride at Exit 8 on the NJ Turnpike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 11:50 PM
ehs

341 posts, read 2,297,355 times
Just curious did you really move to Princeton? We like Princeton very much too, but we live at Edison Hollow South which is only 5 minute walk to Edison Train and another 45 min to midtown NYC Penn Stn.

However, we visited Princeton often. Friday night, we would book a hotel there thru priceline and spent a weekend there. We have stayed at Hyatt Princeton ($37), Chauncey Conference Center ($37), Courtyard by Marriott ($42), Extend Stay ($30), AmeriSuites ($35), Harrison Conv Center ($40), ... and found lots of good things in Princeton and ate at many restaurants there and went to many Princeton Univ concerts and seminars ...etc. also did some canoe along the Raritan River ...

So, if you like Princeton, given the long commute for your husband, you may want to hear other viable options, I guess...

Old 06-13-2007, 07:38 AM

276 posts, read 747,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehs View Post
I know many colleagues doing so for many years... Princeton is a very nice town to live. You got brand new 3 story public library and numerous nice stores, and in particular, Princeton Univ, that has lots of seminars and concerts ...etc. Amtrak is faster than NJ Transit and fewer stops so timing wise not much difference.
its too yuppy and wayyyyyyyyy overrated. besides the main street, what else do you have? people with 3 or 4 names that think they earned their fortune.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehs View Post
Just curious did you really move to Princeton? We like Princeton very much too, but we live at Edison Hollow South which is only 5 minute walk to Edison Train and another 45 min to midtown NYC Penn Stn.

However, we visited Princeton often. Friday night, we would book a hotel there thru priceline and spent a weekend there. We have stayed at Hyatt Princeton ($37), Chauncey Conference Center ($37), Courtyard by Marriott ($42), Extend Stay ($30), AmeriSuites ($35), Harrison Conv Center ($40), ... .
see the prices? ever wonder why they are so cheap?

cause THERE IS NOTHING THERE

Old 06-13-2007, 08:39 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,203,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meameame12 View Post
its too yuppy and wayyyyyyyyy overrated. besides the main street, what else do you have? people with 3 or 4 names that think they earned their fortune.
wow pure jealousy, I feel bad for you

Old 06-13-2007, 11:03 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
Frankly, when I lived in Princeton (have since moved back to NYC for work), I loved it there. Hated my job, but really liked the area and town.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:28 AM
ehs

Quote:
When you visit Princeton Univ, you can park your car at Princeton Public Library parking, and walk over, it is cheap and simple. Visit this wonderful children library within the big library that can sure to give your kids a new vision of the world. I never seen something like that, given the fact, we visited hundreds of museums, children museums, aquarium ...etc.

My brother-in-law's kid going to Piscataway High but spent lots of time at Princeton Univ Boodstore. Now, you would not wonder why he would get Top in Science League Competition on Biology, Chemistry and now Physics. Next year, he will take all AP courses of Biology, Chemistry and Physics... After finishing college textbook of Biology, Chemistry and Physics, AP courses are nothing.

He went out to lead a team of Science Leages at Piscataway to introduce all the tips he got and experience, so to certain extend, Princeton has lots to offer because of the university.

Go visit Princeton Univ website and check out the calendar, you will see the fantasy of another world if you never experienced.

Main St is nothing if you can not easily find professors, students to talk, even at Princeton Public Library, you found lots of retired professors who have lots of widsom you will learn lots of great tips by just talk to them.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:35 AM
ehs

Quote:
see the prices? ever wonder why they are so cheap?

cause THERE IS NOTHING THERE
In the US, hotel industry got about 65% occupancy rate, that is to say, if hotel can sell their 35% vacant rooms, given the fix cost capital investment, they will make extra revenue and profit.

A room let vacant or occupied, the marginal cost is very little, maybe just a few dollars. Now, the problem is that hotel would not let general "wealthy people" like YOU to know, or YOU may not want to pay full rack price ...

So, they give out all these surplus to savvy customers with good credit thru priceline (they do not want to give to homeless, if they do they want to go thru government and make government pay TOP dollars with some group rate!)
Yes, you need to have good credit, i.e. a good credit card to be able to bid on these rooms over piceline dot com.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:47 AM
ehs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Frankly, when I lived in Princeton (have since moved back to NYC for work), I loved it there. Hated my job, but really liked the area and town.
So, priceline is for you, you can bid a nice hotel at Princeton and enjoy weekend getaway, coming back to all the nice stores and restaurants there and visit your friends or relatives there ...

Priceline used to have cut off time on 6pm for same day bid, but later extend to 11pm. That is to say, after work at 8pm, you can still get a hotel and drive down Princeton, and you will get the wonderful vacation feeling. After all, gas price is high, and time is limited, but vacation is nothing more than a totally different environment to make a person become RISC (Reduced Instruction Set Computer) so that your clock rate will be 10 to 20 times faster and be able to function much faster after that ...

My favoriate is Chauncey Conference Center ARAMARK Harrison Lodging: Chauncey Conference Center, Princeton, NJ and this is one of the best hotel in NJ that cost me only $37 ... I know you lived at Princeton and love Princeton, but I almost 100% sure you never lived there and enjoyed the true spirit of Princeton ...

Old 06-13-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
wow pure jealousy, I feel bad for you
mine was an innocent observation of the pseudo-elite. you should have an inkling of what im referring to if you know the area, and can view it objectively. how can you not honestly say Princeton is not yuppy and elitist? how can you not say its wasp country? that area is old money.

no need to feel bad for me, as i call it as i see it. i know princeton. i attended an elitist university; i know the demographic and the sense of entitlement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey