Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 02:58 PM

19 posts, read 36,610 times

Advertisements

Hi all

We're moving to the States next month from the UK and I want to do as much research as poss on towns to move to so we can start house hunting as soon as we get there.

My husband will be working in NYC so an "easy" commute (1hr max) is desirable.

We'll be renting for the time being as we'll be keeping our house in the UK. I've already had a lot of info on Westfield by one kind member of this forum and from what I hear about the town, it's on the top of our list! I've also heard good things about Springfield and Ridgewood but haven't seen too much info on these towns vs Westfield. We have an 8 month old baby so would love to live in a town where there are plenty of things to do, close to nature parks, not too far from the beach. We want him to spend as much time outdoors playing in parks, swimming, etc as he's already very active and I'd like to find new friends by joining mommy and baby clubs, etc. Good schools/preschools are not a factor just yet, as we don't know where we'll be in three years' time.

Residents of Springfield and Ridgewood, would I find everything I need in these towns? Westfield does seem like the perfect town (lots to do, great pool, not too far from the beach, very pretty downtown, lots of activities for children) but Ridgewood does seem to have a lot more houses for rent. We'll obviously spend a little time in these towns to get a feel of them but just want an idea of they are like to live in.

THanks in advance for your input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 04:49 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,808,345 times
I can't speak to the towns, but the train from Westfield is not direct into NYC. You have to get off the Raritan Valley line at Newark and get on another train bound for NYC Penn Station. If your husband is working in the financial district, this might not be all bad since he can then transfer to the PATH.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:04 PM

728 posts, read 1,965,676 times
Springfield is very nice but it does not offer a train to NYC, you have to go to a nearby town. Westfield and Ridgewood offer a train to NYC. My personal opinion if you can afford it go for Ridgewood. It is an awesome town, you would like it a lot.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:13 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Westfield and Ridgewood will be about equal in cost. Springfield will be less expensive, but in my opinion is not in the same league as the other 2 towns.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:16 PM

467 posts, read 1,522,483 times
I just purchased a house in Westfield. I really like the town and the price was reasonable. Ridgewood is also pretty nice. There is a slightly different ethnic mix between the two towns, as an FYI. Ridgewood seems a bit more waspy and older money. Westfield's real estate seems to be turning over and a younger crowd seems to be moving in.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:34 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
I would go with Westfield from your choices. Great downtown. There is not a direct train, but the commute is reasonable.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:25 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,789,495 times
I would go for Westfield too. Great downtown, great area to be in as a "visitor" for a couple years. Easy to get into NYC on train. Nice parks, great community pool (and private clubs too). Great schools.

Ridgewood is great, but Bergen County is much more crowded. Excellent schools.

Springfield - not in the same league. Will be fewer expats there. More crowded, not as nice. Harder to get into NYC. If you're looking in that area, I'd choose Millburn or Summit.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:39 PM

19 posts, read 36,610 times
Thank you all for your input! Westfield sure seems to be a popular choice and from the photos I've seen, it looks really pretty and the pool looks amazing! All we need to do now is get our visas through so we can get a definite move date and start properly house hunting

Old 03-24-2010, 07:27 AM

1 posts, read 4,472 times
We live in Springfield and have some friends in Ridgewood and Westfield. Our family moved from Europe 3 years ago and our son was 9 month old baby.
Downtown in R and W looks the same. There is a nice pool in Westfield.
The pool in Springfield is not very good. But there is the train station in Springfield (Short hills) 10 min walk, or you can take a Shuttle (to station). You can check the schedule to NYC here New Jersey Transit
it is only 45 min from Springfield to NYC, from Westfield you should take the car.
I dont like the Bergen county because the stores doesn`t work on Sunday (thats their low)
But there are 2 railroad lines to NYC in Ridgewood.
I recommend for you Springfield or Millburn. Springfield is very nice town and it is very closed to everything what are you seeking. You can walk to downtown in Millburn. The park in downtown is very nice with playgrounds and small river (you can feed the duck there)
There are so many parks around with playgrounds, zoo (in West Orange), pools (YMCA, The Connection, nice pool in Berkley Hights, School of fish (Funplex in East Hanover) Nice Trailside Nature Center, in Watchung (also they have huge playground). Gymboree classes for tots in Summit (I like that place more than in Westfield, because the room is bigger)
There are many nice preschools - Children`s Academy (montessori school in Springfield - I highly recommend) The Learning Circle-YMCA in Summit etc
There is public preschool in Millburn (for 3 years old) in Springfield (for 4 years old) There is no public preschool in Westfield. The pool in Millburn is very nice. There are 2 train station in Millburn - Short Hills and Millburn. There are many grocery stores in Millburn/Springfield (even you can walk to them). There is a nice mall in Millburn - Short hills mall.
So, my choice will be Springfield or Millburn.
Good luck!

Old 04-21-2010, 12:43 PM

5 posts, read 15,989 times
The bus to NYC is direct. It stops along North Avenue in Westfield and Expresses to NYC after Cranford train station. Goes to Port Authority in Manhattan, 42nd Street and 8th Avenue. Also, if you have a bus/train ticket - a little extra cost - you can use on both train and bus so depending on traffic/train delays, your husband has a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey