U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 12:16 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,801,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Sebring View Post
could you PM me the guys info please. Sounds like a great deal
Ditto here. I would like to know the name of the person that charges $250/tree!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 12:24 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,801,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAVC View Post
"... Or, that their driveway is very, very long and not cemented - they have pebbles. The agent tried to tell me that this way is better for cleaning the snow, but I don't see how... We are new to the East Coast, moved here from California, so many of these things are new to us. I don't want us getting burned because of lack of experience...
How are pebbles better for cleaning (removing) snow? If you use a snow blower, you'll blow stones into your neighbor's house or vehicles! I'm guessing, you'll also ruin the snow blower.

There are other avenues to finish a driveway; cementing is only one. Look into blacktop and pavers, too.

As you can see from the posts, trees can be expensive to remove. You may be able to use this as part of your bargaining tool for the price of the house. Good luck with your decision.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:38 PM

49 posts, read 140,287 times
I don't think the issue is that snow on a gravel driveway is easier to remove, because it isn't. I think what the realtor was trying to say was that a gravel driveway with 3-4 inches of snow on it will provide much more traction than a smooth driveway with 3-4 inches of snow on it.

I guess it comes down to this: the gravel driveway is better for small snowstorms because you don't have to bother removing the snow(since you have enough traction), but the paved driveway is better for large snowstorms because you HAVE to remove the snow, and it's much easier to remove from a smooth surface than a rough surface.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:35 PM

1,924 posts, read 2,942,832 times
We had to have our blacktop redone and it really wasn't that expensive. It was a wreck and it would probably have been easier if they had nice, level gravel to start with! The trees could be another matter. If you are serious about the house the owners should be willing to let you send someone to get an estimate on the removal. It sounds more like you need to describe it as "clearing a lot" than tree removal though. Seeing if someone will buy the trees is a great idea. They probably would not remove the stumps but you could use the proceeds to pay for that.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:28 PM

261 posts, read 839,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
In-law just had a 60 year old oak removed for a cheap price of $1,500, stump left in ground.

What side of the house are the trees on. Good to keep if southern exposure to reduce air conditioning costs.

What kind of trees?

A lot or acre sized property?

How large? height? what is the diameter of the trunk?

Any structures nearby which might be damaged?

You get a break if they leave the wood which you can sell for firewood to a firewood dealer to recoup some money.

Trees are a good thing unless they might cause damage.
The house faces West, so the trees are in the back of the house (East). The land for this house has 2.7 acres, wooded. No structures nearby that can be damaged. Right now the house has almost no back yard because of the trees. They seem pretty old, and it seems that if you open the window you can almost touch them. I know it's OK to remove them, as many of the houses in the development had some of the trees removed, and their back yards look beautiful. I am just worried that if we purchase the property we'll end up spending a fortune on cleaning the back yard of some of the trees, in addition to all the other things we need to do. The yard is fenced, so I can't really ask for an estimate from anyone, unless I tell the current owners that I am considering making an offer, and I am not ready to do that yet... When I think of all the things that I need to do to this house, and all the money that I would have to spend I get really aggravated. Its a good house, but it needs soooo many things... Yet, the listing price does not reflect that at all.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:55 PM

21 posts, read 38,401 times
I contemplated hiring a contractor to remove some trees but instead I bought my own chainsaw and remove the trees at my leisure. It is a lot of work but I enjoy the exercise. I also have two wood burning fireplaces so I save the cost of buying firewood. I know this isn't for everybody but sometimes you have to try something different.
If you don't need the firewood there are a lot of people who would gladly cut down your trees for the free wood. Check with your homeowners insurance before you let somebody on your property for the free wood. Even if you hire somebody insist on an insurance certificate.

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-16-2010 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: No signatures

Old 02-16-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post

As you can see from the posts, trees can be expensive to remove. You may be able to use this as part of your bargaining tool for the price of the house. Good luck with your decision.
Yes, that's what I was thinking as well. If we decide to move forward with this house, we should take into account clearing the lot. Any idea of what's a reasonable sum to deduct from the price for that? I was thinking $15K... And how about the driveway? Have no idea how much that would be? This house is sitting behind another one, that has 1.2 acres of land. The driveway goes along the property line to the house in the back (the house for sale). It's pretty long...

Old 02-16-2010, 07:17 PM

21 posts, read 38,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAVC View Post
Yes, that's what I was thinking as well. If we decide to move forward with this house, we should take into account clearing the lot. Any idea of what's a reasonable sum to deduct from the price for that? I was thinking $15K... And how about the driveway? Have no idea how much that would be? This house is sitting behind another one, that has 1.2 acres of land. The driveway goes along the property line to the house in the back (the house for sale). It's pretty long...
FYI If I was selling this house, and I am not, why should I give you a credit for removing trees that I might enjoy having on my property? Suppose the house had a pool that you didn't want would you ask for a credit to fill in the pool.
I'm thinking you should be looking elsewhere. One reason the house is not selling is because it is on a flag lot, not the most desirable of locations.

Mod cut

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-16-2010 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: No signatures, per TOS.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living in NJ View Post
One reason the house is not selling is because it is on a flag lot, not the most desirable of locations.

Mod cut
Do you mind explaining the term "flag lot"? Does that mean is behind the other house?

Old 02-18-2010, 01:00 PM

101 posts, read 239,394 times
usually it is a property that just frames out the driveway, into the back of someone elses property- the shape of a flag. again, its not desirable, as you open your front door, and you can be staring at your neighbors backyard BBQ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey