Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 07:28 PM

557 posts, read 1,708,008 times

Advertisements

How much does it cost to remove trees from an wooded back yard? Is it expensive? I realize it depends on the area/surface, but any idea would help, as I am clue-less. Same floor plan house sold after 75 days on the market, closed last November (two houses down). This house we are looking at has no back yard because of the trees, DOM 123. I wonder why people stay way from these houses? Is it very expensive to remove the trees? Is it a big headache? It seems that way to me, but I need some advice.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 08:39 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,727,706 times
Removing trees can be very expensive. It's hard to estimate, since the price is based on the size of the tree. Maybe someone that is in the business can tell you, but my estimate is between $500 to $1,000+ per tree, depending on what's involved. Stumps can be more to remove, at $100/stump. If there are a lot of trees to be removed, maybe you can get a cheaper rate. From my own experience, removing trees is cheaper in the winter months.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:05 PM

557 posts, read 1,708,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
Removing trees can be very expensive. It's hard to estimate, since the price is based on the size of the tree. Maybe someone that is in the business can tell you, but my estimate is between $500 to $1,000+ per tree, depending on what's involved. Stumps can be more to remove, at $100/stump. If there are a lot of trees to be removed, maybe you can get a cheaper rate. From my own experience, removing trees is cheaper in the winter months.
Wow!! That is expensive! There are A LOT of old trees, one next to the other, so to get a bit of a back yard it would cost a small fortune (probably 10-20K). Not to mention that this house does not have a finished basement, like the one that sold... Or, that their driveway is very, very long and not cemented - they have pebbles. The agent tried to tell me that this way is better for cleaning the snow, but I don't see how... We are new to the East Coast, moved here from California, so many of these things are new to us. I don't want us getting burned because of lack of experience...

Old 02-16-2010, 08:00 AM

23,318 posts, read 17,001,523 times
Default tree removal

In-law just had a 60 year old oak removed for a cheap price of $1,500, stump left in ground.

What side of the house are the trees on. Good to keep if southern exposure to reduce air conditioning costs.

What kind of trees?

A lot or acre sized property?

How large? height? what is the diameter of the trunk?

Any structures nearby which might be damaged?

You get a break if they leave the wood which you can sell for firewood to a firewood dealer to recoup some money.

Trees are a good thing unless they might cause damage.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:23 AM

80 posts, read 191,302 times
Wow. Some of those estimates are scary. Our tree guy charges $250 a tree, including stump removal. Guy is kinda weird looking (crazy hair, skinny, always agitated) but he can climb like a monkey and take a tree down from start to finish in 20 minutes.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:39 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,735,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrolaura View Post
Wow. Some of those estimates are scary. Our tree guy charges $250 a tree, including stump removal. Guy is kinda weird looking (crazy hair, skinny, always agitated) but he can climb like a monkey and take a tree down from start to finish in 20 minutes.

What area is he in? I have a couple trees that need to go soon.

OP, does the house have any backyard at all? Even a small one? We just bought a house on a wooded lot, our backyard is fairly small but has enough room to host a BBQ or whatever. We have about another half acre that is all wooded, orginally I was thinking that some day when I had the money I would love to push the tree line back so I could have a bigger yard. THEN I had to rake the leaves, suddenly the yard felt HUUUUUGE! I don't have to rake in the woods, so those trees can stay right where they are!!!

I don't have a gravel driveway but logistically I cannot phathom how it would be easier to clean the snow off, I'd think you'd lose a lot of gravel. Anyone have one and care to elaborate? I'm confused...

Old 02-16-2010, 08:51 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,893,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAVC View Post
How much does it cost to remove trees from an wooded back yard? Is it expensive? I realize it depends on the area/surface, but any idea would help, as I am clue-less. Same floor plan house sold after 75 days on the market, closed last November (two houses down). This house we are looking at has no back yard because of the trees, DOM 123. I wonder why people stay way from these houses? Is it very expensive to remove the trees? Is it a big headache? It seems that way to me, but I need some advice.

Thank you!
A big part of the answer will depend on your location. Best place to get answers is to ask a local tree removal company to come out & give you an estimate. Where is the house? I can recommend a company if it's in the northern Somerset county area, and I'm sure others here will be able to do the same for other parts of the state.

Also, remember that there are local ordinances regarding tree removal, even on yrou own property. Much as I dislike the fact that the government has any say over suc a thing, the fact is that they do. Make sure you look into it before you go removing trees. Again, the local experts will be able to explain the rules.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:33 AM

25 posts, read 75,722 times
You may be able to find someone who buys STANDING TIMBER that will actually pay you for the trees. Look in the Yellow Pages for loggers.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:51 AM

563 posts, read 1,283,035 times
There is a difference in price as well if the Arborist has access with large machines directly to the trees, if not it will cost more.
Definitely get a few estimates, they can vary a few hundered bucks a tree.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:52 AM

563 posts, read 1,283,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrolaura View Post
could you PM me the guys info please. Sounds like a great deal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey