Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 04:46 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,920,137 times

Advertisements

OP, you should probably stay in the $250-300k range. You could go higher than that, but you'll find yourself in great trouble if you end up getting laid off or some unexpected expenses pop up (especially with you being the only income earner). I've witnessed many people who max out on what they can qualify for, have a bad situation occur, and end up filing bankruptcy because they can no longer pay their bills. That said, opt for a home in the $250-300k range; you can always upgrade once you save more money and/or have a salary increase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 05:19 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
OP, you should probably stay in the $250-300k range. You could go higher than that, but you'll find yourself in great trouble if you end up getting laid off or some unexpected expenses pop up (especially with you being the only income earner). I've witnessed many people who max out on what they can qualify for, have a bad situation occur, and end up filing bankruptcy because they can no longer pay their bills. That said, opt for a home in the $250-300k range; you can always upgrade once you save more money and/or have a salary increase.

While I agree you shouldnt go crazy with a huge mortgage but where in NJ is he going to find homes for 250 to 300K? I am assuming he wants to live in a decent town with decent people which lead to Good schools. Not to mention a townhouse or condo is out of the question with 2 kids. Where is the OP looking? Towns? Where are the rest of you finding these homes for 250 to 350K? Thanks.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:25 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,907,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
While I agree you shouldnt go crazy with a huge mortgage but where in NJ is he going to find homes for 250 to 300K? I am assuming he wants to live in a decent town with decent people which lead to Good schools. Not to mention a townhouse or condo is out of the question with 2 kids. Where is the OP looking? Towns? Where are the rest of you finding these homes for 250 to 350K? Thanks.
Camden

Old 02-16-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Camden
Thats what I am saying.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:45 PM

101 posts, read 460,465 times
OP- I think I can relate - I am looking to move into house #3(luckily, bought first house in 2003 at 26 before prices went wild)... anyway- If I did it all over again, I would by a fixer-upper in a great location with good schools- if it wasn't big enough make sure there is room to expand, and taxes won't choke you. Your needs will probably change- as the kids get older you will wish you had more and more space.

Also, a note- your mortgage(assuming you get a 30 year fixed or similar) will never go up- but your salary will. If you are young- I err on the side of overspending- as your income will most likely rise.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:45 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Honestly, as a home owner to be and in the same situation as you (make about the same income, 2 kids), I would recommend to get a bigger house. I have only look at houses in good school town ranging from 400k to 550k. I ended up getting a house slightly higher than my target range but it is a two family. So rent will take care of the tax and insurance.

Ask yourself this question when you look at the property: Is this the best I can offer to my children? If no, then move on to the next property.
Whole bunch of people with that exact mindset bid up houses to the current extremes and are now facing foreclosure.

"Buy now or be priced out forever" Hah.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:14 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,885,417 times
Quote:
Southern New Jersey. I would NEVER pay more than $250,000 for a home in my neighborhood, and at that price I'd feel ripped off. We have decent schools, a safe neighborhood, etc

Old 02-16-2010, 10:29 PM

316 posts, read 943,179 times
375K I'd say

Old 02-17-2010, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
Southern New Jersey. I would NEVER pay more than $250,000 for a home in my neighborhood, and at that price I'd feel ripped off. We have decent schools, a safe neighborhood, etc

So you are saying if you work in North Jersey like most people do buy a home in South Jersey? Right.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:53 AM

89 posts, read 444,765 times
Quote:
What exactly do you plan on doing then? Renting forever? Not that this is not possible but do you really expect things to come back that much more? Even if Real Estate another 10 to 15% everything wont be that much cheaper. Not to mention "nice" places in jersey will always be overpriced.

Well, what I don't plan on doing is purchasing something that I will never be happy with. In the interim, yes, I will continue to rent and save for a larger down payment. Condo's and townhouses, which seem to be what most people in my situation elect, are not an option because I have fundamental issues with homeowner associations.

OP, with no debt, over 100K in savings, and a willingness to purchase a preowned car, you're doing better than most Americans! Keep up the good work! I just don't know where you're going to find something in Central or Northern NJ that you'll be happy with...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey