Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 09:44 AM

66 posts, read 194,493 times

Advertisements

The obvious question is why? Here is my list...

1. Absurd Property Taxes
2. Congestion
3. Traffic
4. Crime

Where are they moving to? and Why to these places?

1. Florida
2. Northern Virginia
3. North Carolina
4. Pennsylvania
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 09:51 AM

453 posts, read 1,741,975 times
Had to chuckle at this one. I don't know about PA, VA, or NC, but all four of those complaints are pretty high up on the list of topics discussed regularly over in the Florida forums here.

Rhys

Old 02-17-2010, 10:00 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEBCAK View Post

1. Absurd Property Taxes
2. Congestion
3. Traffic
4. Crime

1. Florida
2. Northern Virginia
3. North Carolina
4. Pennsylvania
I couldn't disagree with #4 more. In fact, I think that's a big reason why many choose to stay in Northern New Jersey. It's been discussed almost to death in this forum. Northern New Jersey's suburbs, along with Western and Southern Connecticut, and Massachusetts, are most definitely the safest in the country. It's a testament to the high population density that these figures are mostly as low as they are. Suburbs with comparable population density outside of the Northeast and Upper Midwest have much higher property (and personal) crime figures.

Last edited by mike0421; 02-17-2010 at 10:27 AM..

Old 02-17-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I couldn't disagree with #4 more. In fact, I think that's a big reason why many choose to stay in Northern New Jersey. It's been discussed almost to death in this forum. Northern New Jersey's suburbs, along with Western and Southern Connecticut, and Massachusetts, are most definitely the safest in the country. It's a testament to the high population density that these figures are mostly as low as they are. Suburbs with comparable population density outside of the Northeast and Upper Midwest are much higher.
Good point.. I guess if we wanted to really look at Crime as a reason, you would want to Lump in Paterson/Passaic/Newark/Jersey City in the mix for "Crime" as well as being part of Northern NJ..

In my experience. Anything north of Paramus or Rt 4 is pretty safe.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:22 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Shhhh...no one is leaving NJ. Just check a few of the other threads around here, and you'll find that in reality, people are moving to NJ in droves, and happily paying the high taxes because NJ is "worth it". The whole "flight from NJ" thing is a ruse to make people think it's a bad place to be, so the folks in charge can limit the inflow.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Shhhh...no one is leaving NJ. Just check a few of the other threads around here, and you'll find that in reality, people are moving to NJ in droves, and happily paying the high taxes because NJ is "worth it". The whole "flight from NJ" thing is a ruse to make people think it's a bad place to be, so the folks in charge can limit the inflow.
lol.. great analogy Bob. Articles like this prompted my thread.
Study finds wealthy leaving NJ, sinking tax revenue | dailyrecord.com | Daily Record

Old 02-17-2010, 10:36 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,270,239 times
Quote:

1. Absurd Property Taxes
2. Congestion
3. Traffic
4. Crime

1. Florida
2. Northern Virginia
3. North Carolina
4. Pennsylvania
That's pretty funny, because 3 out of the 4 states you listed are MORE DANGEROUS statistically than NJ.

NJ is a very safe state...where does the false information come from? It's frustrating.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
That's pretty funny, because 3 out of the 4 states you listed are MORE DANGEROUS statistically than NJ.

NJ is a very safe state...where does the false information come from? It's frustrating.
How can an entire state be "more dangerous" than another state? When you cross the border into that state, is there a gang of thugs waiting to assault you? I know you're just referring to statistics that get published, but stats like that are ridiculous. Every state has good areas, and every state has bad areas- dismissing an entire state as "dangerous" is absurd.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:43 AM

555 posts, read 1,653,772 times
Quote:
Study finds wealthy leaving NJ, sinking tax revenue | dailyrecord.com | Daily Record
I don't have the data to prove it, but my guess is you're mis-interpreting data... wealth is leaving NJ because it's VERY expensive to DIE in NJ. Frankly, having retirees leave the state isn't really a huge deal but it does make our net wealth appear lower (not sure how net wealth helps a state). Those wealthy people aren't leaving for any of the 4 reasons you mentioned...

1) They're wealthy... they probably like high property taxes because it keeps the blue collars and the criminal types out...

2) They're wealthy... they can afford nice lots in some of the more spacious areas... the uppity parts of Bergen county like Alpine definitely aren't congested. Even in the midwest, the normal lot size for a home is under 1/2 acre so most of our suburbs aren't any more crowded than any where else that isn't completely rural.

3) They're retired... they arent driving during rush hour and frankly traffic isn't that bad outside of rush hour (and extremes like Black Friday & holidays)...

4) Outside of the 3 or 4 urban areas in NJ, we have some of the lowest crime statistics in the country. People definitely aren't fleeing the rich areas of the state because they're afraid of crime.

So why are the wealthy leaving? One is again the death tax... two is likely weather... I know I personally want to retire to Aruba... three is they no longer need the opportunities of NJ and may choose a lifestyle change.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
That very article was discussed here a week or so ago, and it was dismissed by many as being a lie, or as being of no consequence. So what if $70 billion of wealth has left the state! So what if the people moving in aren't as wealthy as those leaving! It doesn't matter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey