Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 04:59 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,707,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
True , but more people will lose there jobs if this goes up by 30% , why not cut services and only raise it by 5-10%?

Because the hole is bigger than that. Half measures are what got us into this mess to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 05:18 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,782,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Because the hole is bigger than that. Half measures are what got us into this mess to begin with.
What do you mean?

Old 02-22-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
What do you mean?

We are facing a 2 billion dollar deficit, we have to take bold action a 5% fare increase is not bold. NJ politicians have been afraid to raise taxes and cut services. Deep cuts in services are needed and at least some increases in taxes, fees etc. are needed. The lack of bold action has lead to this mess.

Last edited by shorebaby; 02-22-2010 at 06:58 PM..

Old 02-22-2010, 11:09 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,874,803 times
The money problem at NJT is not with the sub-par service they offer (or in South Jersey's case don't offer) but in a bloated administration that doesn't know what it's doing.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:39 AM

555 posts, read 1,650,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
We are facing a 2 billion dollar deficit, we have to take bold action a 5% fare increase is not bold. NJ politicians have been afraid to raise taxes and cut services. Deep cuts in services are needed and at least some increases in taxes, fees etc. are needed. The lack of bold action has lead to this mess.
NJT is not part of the NJ Government... even if they started making a profit, it wouldn't lower taxes in NJ, they are a seperate entity. While I agree the NJ Government needs to take bold action, fare increases are an entirely different topic.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:42 AM

555 posts, read 1,650,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
The money problem at NJT is not with the sub-par service they offer (or in South Jersey's case don't offer) but in a bloated administration that doesn't know what it's doing.
While I disagree on the 1st point, you nailed the second point. Like so many agencies that are born and feed off the Government... umm, wallet, they have no idea how to operate in a fiscally responsible way. Whether it be union salaries (ticket punchers making over $100k), no show jobs, or any other avenue of wasted money, they just can't seem to be competitive when there is no competition.

As for service, I rode the trains for years while in college in Hoboken... I always found them very reliable and easy to use. I think people really need to adjust their expectations for cheap public transportation.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:48 AM

88,224 posts, read 84,127,726 times
Quote:
True , but more people will lose there jobs if this goes up by 30% , why not cut services and only raise it by 5-10%?
It's tough, because most of us commuters have to pay the train fare AND keep a car for non-commuting use, although I only ever own used cars--I'm not going to pay a $300+ car note every month to park in my driveway or a train lot when I'm also paying $300 a month to use the trains.

They could also take into consideration that the NJ-to-NY commuters are earning money in New York and bringing it home to spend in New Jersey, but I doubt that will get much attention.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:17 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,782,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's tough, because most of us commuters have to pay the train fare AND keep a car for non-commuting use, although I only ever own used cars--I'm not going to pay a $300+ car note every month to park in my driveway or a train lot when I'm also paying $300 a month to use the trains.

They could also take into consideration that the NJ-to-NY commuters are earning money in New York and bringing it home to spend in New Jersey, but I doubt that will get much attention.
I'm sorry to hear that , its at least 150 a month hear. Maybe you should gather follow commuters and voice your opinion alot of Conductors and Us Rail Fanners support you. I just started riding rail a few months ago for my hobbies and soon for my job. This slightly hurt me , but my mom said she would cover what ever monthly pass i need. But that doesn't help my friend in East Orange who takes 2 trains to get to school in New Brunswick 3X a week.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:33 PM

88,224 posts, read 84,127,726 times
Quote:
I'm sorry to hear that , its at least 150 a month hear. Maybe you should gather follow commuters and voice your opinion alot of Conductors and Us Rail Fanners support you. I just started riding rail a few months ago for my hobbies and soon for my job. This slightly hurt me , but my mom said she would cover what ever monthly pass i need. But that doesn't help my friend in East Orange who takes 2 trains to get to school in New Brunswick 3X a week.
I've been taking the trains to Hoboken for 30 years now. I do have to say the service is pretty good, best on the Bergen/Main line, which I have the most experience with, but not bad on others I've used over the years (Boonton Line and now NJ Coast Line).

I don't recall ever having a problem with a conductor. There used to be a cranky one that appeared sometimes on my Bergen train, but I haven't seen him in years.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmert View Post
NJT is not part of the NJ Government... even if they started making a profit, it wouldn't lower taxes in NJ, they are a seperate entity. While I agree the NJ Government needs to take bold action, fare increases are an entirely different topic.
Well that is not accurate.

NJ Transit union leader warns of fare hikes of up to 30 percent, service cuts, employee furloughs | New Jersey Real-Time News - - NJ.com

"Christie last week said his administration would withhold nearly $33 million in NJ Transit subsidies. He called the agency a "political patronage pit" and said it could cut costs before raising fares."

If it were making a profit there would be no need for a state subsidy and taxes would indeed go down.

Yikes look at the size of the subsidy!

http://maplewood.blogs.nytimes.com/2...jersey-trains/

"It won’t be pretty. One of Gov. Christopher J. Christie’s solutions to close a $2.2 billion hole in the state’s budget is to cut $32.7 million from New Jersey Transit’s $296 million yearly subsidy."

Yowzer, that subsidy accounts for 10% of the deficit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey