Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 08:10 PM

587 posts, read 2,178,604 times

Advertisements

You want limo service but you are not willing to pay for it lol. Its called "mass" transit for a reason! The buses are dirty because most people that ride them don't care about cleaning up after themselves. Here are some suggestion for you: take an earlier bus so you wont be late, speak up when you see someone liter, if you see trash on the bus pick it up and dispose of it propely, take a cab, save up and buy a car!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 09:56 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times
NJ has some of the lowest gas taxes in the nation, and car drivers get away time and time again while transit riders get socked. The world looks at our country like a greedy pig drunk on oil, and its stuff like this that makes us look bad. Look at all the damn SUV's on the road. They can easily afford higher gas taxes, and they are being wasteful chocking out pollutants to carry their behind around, meanwhile ppl who take transit keep our roads and air clearer.
I'm already hating Christie. NJ has 4 more years of this crap.
BTW, for those folks who think NJ Transit buses are bad, come to Long Island, its even worse.
I guess in a world according to Chris Christie, everyone drives a GMC and the Jersey Shore is underwater from icecap melting...

Old 02-17-2010, 10:30 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,885,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
Where are you from in South Jersey? No offense but if you live somewhere like Salem County or Burlington, then I would see why it would take sometime to get to somewhere like Philly.

Yeah, we have bad service. Try taking the 25 from Maplewood to Newark heading to school or work. You WILL be late. It goes all the way down Springfield Ave. With all the people that take the bus and 9 times out of 10 its crowded after you go passed the Irvington terminal stop, you would think they would have MORE bus service but it's the opposite. The bus is jam packed with people. If you get a seat, you won't be able to move much with all the people in the middle of the bus. The bus takes forever to come, if you wait by the bus garage in Maplewood, you'll be helluva disappointed to see these buses coming out of there with the whole "Out of service" sign. Sometimes, they're running late so they have the "out of service" sign at the 43rd Street stop and then turn on the "25 Springfield Ave, Newark Penn Station" heading towards the next stop right by Investors Savings and Florence Ave. Horrible.

It's not just the 25 bus as well. I could go on about the 70 as well even though it's slightly better. I wouldn't rely on using the 70 bus to go to Livington Mall at all. It takes a long time to come too.

I could also talk about the 107 too. I had the misfortune of being on the bus with a bus driver that didn't what the 107 route was. Instead of going on the Turnpike extension that takes you to the Lincoln Tunnel, the guy went on the regular Turnpike that takes you to the Meadowlands. Us passengers had to tell him where to go because he didn't know what he was doing. To make it all worse, I had an appointment at a place I had to be in New York and I was two hours late.

That's why all you people with cars should be happy you don't take public transportation. NJ Transit is the worse.
I'm from Vineland in Cumberland County, bordering Gloucester, Atlantic, Salem, and maybe Cape May counties. We have a population of 60,000ish and are the larges city in NJ (landwise). You at least can TAKE the 25 to school or work. All I can suggest is taking an earlier bus. We can't take ANYTHING to work unless it's along one of the three bus routes that go through town, slower than molasses. BTW, two of those routes are the same route.

The one train line that's in South Jersey, they got rid of the only train line that arrived in Philadelphia allowing commuters to arrive on time for work without being two hours early. They also have a bus route that makes the same stops as the train, and scheduled it so that if you miss the train, and don't rush you'll miss the bus too.

I do however go to school in North Jersey, and have learned a few things. Don't take the bus (I've only ridden it once), Light Rail is pretty awesome, and that trains are a great way to travel.

(Btw, I'm not sure how you define South Jersey, but it's more or less every thing South of certain parts of Northern Burlington County and South of Ocean County)

Old 02-17-2010, 10:31 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
the reverse of government slogans, less for more.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:11 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Theres rumors swirling around on mutiple transit sits , of a 20-30% increase are the mad? OMG WTF.....this will cripple 80% of the State , ppl will have to quit jobs , kids won't go to school. Christie think before you act.
yup, since something like 8% of the people in the state take public transportation to work.

If you think that public transportation costs to much, start your own public transit company and make a bundle. Charge 50% less than NJT and you will have all of the customers that you want.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:51 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
yup, since something like 8% of the people in the state take public transportation to work.

If you think that public transportation costs to much, start your own public transit company and make a bundle. Charge 50% less than NJT and you will have all of the customers that you want.
3.5 million ppl use Transit in NJ each day , the bulk of that NJ which is 1.5 million ppl and the rest is private which hooks into NJT.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:08 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I'm pretty sure they are announcing 20% to 30% fare hikes so that when they actually raise the fare 15%, we'll be expected to be thankful.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:22 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
Yeah, Christie is going to mess this state up even worse. Like I said before in another thread, all these cuts aren't going to fix the situation. And these people are probably going to vote him again because of that too.
Christie is not raising the fares, he is cutting the subsidizing. NJ transit is raising the fares because they like all the others refuse to cut the fat on the top....they will lay off the little epople not the fat cats

Old 02-18-2010, 11:25 AM

555 posts, read 1,654,050 times
I'd encourage you all to read the comments... they are... in a word... enlightening...

Comments on NJ Transit union leader warns of fare hikes of up to 30 percent, service cuts, employee furloughs | New Jersey Real-Time News - Page 7 - - NJ.com

Btw... how does a $33M cut in state funding for NJT equate to a 20 - 30% rate increase... hmmm... is it more that NJT has a $200M defecit that they've created and need to fill through a rate hike? Could it be the union mouth piece is simply using this planned cut as an excuse to cover their own ineptitude at running an organization?

Oh yeah... Conductors making over $100k a year... goodness gracious... the money we pay our unskilled workforce... well at least they can afford to live in NJ, right?

Old 02-18-2010, 12:00 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Well I said this from the get go..we all want the state to stop spending, our taxes not to increase or good lord go down..to get to that point is going to be painful... but every person that is affected by any of this will scream to high heaven.

Anyone have a viable solution to present to Christie that will keep our taxes in check but still avail us to all the fat we are used to?

The union mouth pieces are always going to scream..lay offs blah blah blah..but I would bet my last nickel the lay offs start at the bottom of the food chain....

It's like my husband and I saying we need to tighten up but then one of us has a hissy because we aren't doing all the things we have grown accustomed to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey