Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 09:08 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,114,896 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of putting my place on the market and found out that my place is actually smaller than what was listed by the selling agent 5 years ago.

The agent listed it about 350 sf more that what the public records show! Since the public records' SF is based on the master deed, I did some calculations from the floor plan and found the deed to be wrong.

Basically:
Selling agent shows: 1400
Public record shows: 1050 (based off wrong calcuations)
Master recalculation shows: 1150

Obviously that's going to work against me now that I try to put my place on the market. Is it too late to do anything about this? Can i get the public record changed? ... Also, the broker is still in business. :P

I'm kicking myself right now for not realizing this and trying to do something about this sooner so please be abit sensitive in your response. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 08:05 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,359,358 times
Nope, public record cant be changed. Hopefully the buyer wont see it - but prob will. I sold a supposeduly 700 sq ft condo and about 2 weeks before closing, the buyer states it is really 640 sq ft and said they want 5K knocked off the price. We settled on 2 K off price.

Nothing you can do.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:49 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,958,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
I'm in the process of putting my place on the market and found out that my place is actually smaller than what was listed by the selling agent 5 years ago.

The agent listed it about 350 sf more that what the public records show! Since the public records' SF is based on the master deed, I did some calculations from the floor plan and found the deed to be wrong.

Basically:
Selling agent shows: 1400
Public record shows: 1050 (based off wrong calcuations)
Master recalculation shows: 1150

Obviously that's going to work against me now that I try to put my place on the market. Is it too late to do anything about this? Can i get the public record changed? ... Also, the broker is still in business. :P

I'm kicking myself right now for not realizing this and trying to do something about this sooner so please be abit sensitive in your response. Thanks!
Misrepresenting facts in real estate is FRAUD and aside from your damages the law is that you are automatically rewarded tripple damages in New Jersey when fraud is proven. In your situation that doesn't seem hard to prove. I don't know what statue of limitations is on this but I would consult with a "real estate" attorney and not assume nothing can be done.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:48 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,807,138 times
Have you measured it yourself?

Old 02-22-2010, 06:55 AM

555 posts, read 1,649,387 times
Just be careful... unless it was marked (A) on the listing as the Assessed square footage, you have no leg to stand on... any other number is an estimate by either the owner or their realtor... your realtor should have explained that to you when you were looking at listings.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:22 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,277,727 times
Most listings in NJ don't show the sf anyway, so why put it out there? Just list the unit as an "X bed/Y bath" unit, and leave it at that.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:43 AM

453 posts, read 1,736,166 times
I would also pull out your condominium documents. The Master Deed should have an accurate square footage for each unit as filed with the state when built or converted.

Rhys

Old 07-28-2010, 06:24 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,509,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Have you measured it yourself?
Ditto. If I'm buying a skirt, I don't trust the size on the label - I try it on before I buy it.

Square footage should have been verified as part of the inspection prior to purchase.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:29 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,166,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Square footage should have been verified as part of the inspection prior to purchase.
inspection?? i doubt any inspector calculates the square footage. maybe the appraiser would.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:03 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,989,151 times
Many times listings that include sq ft also include a disclaimer that says something to the effect of it is up to the buyer to validate the number. This language is there specifically because realtors were getting sued over incorrect numbers. Hard to imagine any realtor would leave themselves open to a lawsuit over it these days.

I know this thread is old, but I wonder what exactly the OP had to prove what the realtor listed the sq ft as.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey