Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 07:46 AM

8 posts, read 41,715 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been living in NYC for almost 10 years and have decided to make the move to the burbs. We need an easy commute to NYC and would like any recommendations on the best towns to start our search. People have recommended West Orange, Montclair and Nutley. We'd like a nice community with a good school system. We're thinking of maybe starting with a townhouse. Please let me know if you can help!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 12:03 PM

51 posts, read 523,603 times
montclair would be the easiest transition from nyc. more culture, diverse population, etc. but it can get pretty pricey. nutley would be the most affordable of those 3 and is pretty nice. i'd also look into westfield, madison and summit. all are pricey though. more affordable towns like rutherford, hasbrouck heights and woodridge are worth a look as well.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:43 PM

32 posts, read 189,668 times
Default moving to the burbs

Millburn,Summit, Springfield are good towns. Also, New Providence,Cranford, and Westfield.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:46 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,459,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesk28 View Post
My husband and I have been living in NYC for almost 10 years and have decided to make the move to the burbs. We need an easy commute to NYC and would like any recommendations on the best towns to start our search. People have recommended West Orange, Montclair and Nutley. We'd like a nice community with a good school system. We're thinking of maybe starting with a townhouse. Please let me know if you can help!

Thanks!
In Rahway we are getting a lot of young professionals coming out
because of easy commute into city and the NY Times article that ran a few weeks back
The school system needs (and is ) improving
The High School Band is one of the Best on the east coast
The High School MCJROTC drill team is one of the best in the Nation
The Disney movie Cadet Kelly with Hillary Duff has the actual drill team in the movie

Changes to Cheer About. Really. - New York Times

Old 05-31-2007, 07:34 PM

13 posts, read 67,543 times
We're in the same boat...lived in manhattan for 10 years, had a baby and now moving to the burbs. We'll be moving into Maplewood (35-40 mins. into Penn Station). From what we've seen and heard from other folks, it's a really cute town. Not sure of your lifestyle, but if you're looking for a small, quaint, tight-knit community type of place...Maplewood is an option. We did a lot research and visited a couple of towns in Jersey and most of them don't have a town center, which we wanted...we like the feel of that old world neighborhood.

Here are some resources for you to check out:

NJ Top Public Schools
http://www.njmonthly.com/topschools/hslist.lasso

If you want to compare schools from different towns, this is a good link:
http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/go/NJ

This should give you a good idea of what Maplewood has to offer:
http://www.maplewoodonline.com/

Some of our other choices were:
South Orange - didn't find any homes that we liked there.
West Orange - wanted more of a town feel.
Montclair - too expensive. Also note, there are some not so good areas of Montclair

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:38 PM

54 posts, read 191,253 times
Yeah, Montclair is pretty nice but has lots of pockets of very undesirable areas. Maplewood/South Orange are also very quant and nice by certain parts of the towns border very undesirable towns as well. My personally recommendation for towns to check out are..
1.)Summit - very nice downtown, train to nyc, excellent schools.
2.)Madison or Chatham - downtown is smaller than Summit's and very quaint. Train. Excellent schools as well.
3.) Westfield - same as above, only a longer commute to the city

Old 06-04-2007, 01:19 PM

Thank you so much. This information is great-- and we totally are in the same boat. I really appreciate your insight.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:58 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
I think there are some not-so-nice areas of Maplewood too, no?

Old 06-04-2007, 03:00 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
I think there are some not-so-nice areas of Maplewood too, no?

I would go more along the lines of MrOutrageous. I don't think you can really go wrong with those towns.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:03 PM

thank you for all the input. if anyone knows of any nice townhouse communities, i'd really appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey