Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 10:05 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,124,732 times

Advertisements

So I got laid off recently while in the process of interviewing agents to sell my home... I narrowed it down to one agent who has a great record of selling homes within weeks of listing them.

Question is, if you are not working fulltime, would you try to sell a house on your own instead of going the realtor route?

It would probably cost us about 26k to sell (2.5% each to buying and listing agent). If I try to sell on my own, we may be able to save about 10k after paying 2.5% to buying agent and factoring in marketing costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 04:34 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,105 times
I would. I have done it in the past. It's not hard at all with some common sense and hard work. Search past threads here on sellng FSBO, there are great tips. Depends how much that 10k means to you....

Old 02-24-2010, 05:31 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
So I got laid off recently while in the process of interviewing agents to sell my home... I narrowed it down to one agent who has a great record of selling homes within weeks of listing them.

Question is, if you are not working fulltime, would you try to sell a house on your own instead of going the realtor route?

It would probably cost us about 26k to sell (2.5% each to buying and listing agent). If I try to sell on my own, we may be able to save about 10k after paying 2.5% to buying agent and factoring in marketing costs.
Most agents want 6%. And some drag their feet if you force them to accept 5%. With that said, I would still use a realtor due to fact that the RE market is horrible and you will need the exposure and traffic that they bring.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:31 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,018,863 times
Your agent should be able to sell your home for more money by maximizing the marketing and attracting many qualified buyers. I'm not saying you can't sell it yourself, I'm just saying that the agent has a lot more experience, and should be able to upsell your home. The next two months should be hectic, as everyone will scramble to take advantage of the tax credit. Good Luck.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:37 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
i would suggest if you sell yourself, find a way to get it on the MLS and make sure buyers agents know you will pay 2.5%.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:22 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,105 times
It will cost you about $500 to get it on the MLS....your listing will be on realtor.com with all the other listings. With some creative marketing and a possible incentive towards closing costs you should be able to "outsell" the competition. Who knows you may even find buyers with no agent and get to save all the commission...

Old 02-24-2010, 08:52 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,185,759 times
if you're in a rush you must try a realtor who could possibly bring in more traffic. otherwise, you could try listing on FSBO and get it on MLS and see how it goes. you can have open house by yourself and also try newspaper ads and craigslist, etc. if you're willing to pay commission to buyer's agent make sure you mention it on your online listing (will bring in more traffic from buyer's agents). you can always remove go with a realtor if there is no movement in a few weeks after trying to sell it yourself.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:36 AM

17 posts, read 68,968 times
It also depends on where you live. My inlaws in Warren County had to rent out their property because they couldn't sell it themselves. That was after posting it on realtor.com, advertising in the newspaper and creating a website with videos and photos of the house....and offering realtor fees. So, it is definitely relative on where you live and the condition of the housing market.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:55 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,124,732 times
Thanks for the response everyone.

I live in Hoboken so despite its small square mile long size, there are alot of inventory on the market. Currently about 250 2BR condos are listed. I would say that's alot and it's rising 'cus spring is around the corner and more people are looking to list to take advantage of the better weather and the tax credit.

I think it may be wiser to use an agent in light of those facts, won't you agree?

I'm still torned but am learning more towards using a realtor now.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:12 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,807,339 times
If you are woman, trying to sell a home, you also need to consider safety issues. At the very least have someone else there with you when showing your home.

There have been stories of women realtors who were raped while showing houses to men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: