Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 09:48 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,976,646 times

Advertisements

FIRST, I need to explain that by "alternative lifestyle" I am not talking about just gays, but about the whole non-traditional thing. What I mean is best explained here: Alternative lifestyle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

New Jersey is allot more conservative than it lets on, I have noticed in my 28 years of living here. Here, just about everyone seems to expect people to follow the same exact life script: be a kid, ride a bike, get older and play sports if you are a boy (non negotiable) go to college and party, get out of college and work somewhere for a few years then get married, have kids, the kids grow up while you grow out of shape, the kids leave the house and you move to Florida to die.

That's it. No gays, no Child Free people, no bohemianism, no "just slacking and enjoying life". In Jersey, it's the Norman Rockwell nightmere...only with a sprinkling of "Jersey Shore" and "My Cousin Vinnie" thrown in.

The prevailing attitude in Jersey is probably the same as the Bible Belt, only not as racist and not with the religious backing to it. Around here, it's just tradition backing things up and no one wants to challenge those traditions and if you do, get ready to be treated as an absolute weirdo and no one will be on your wave length.

I think the issue is also that all of our cities here STINK. They are all ghetto as can be and crime ridden and no one wants to live there. Hence, we are all one big suburb with bad-area only cities and no places for someone who is a little different from the three-kids-a-dog-a-husband-and-wife-and-a-SUV lifestyle to congregate with like minded people.

I am 28, straight male, childfree, never want kids and am into magick (purposely spelled with a "k") pet rodents, heavy metal, alternative and ambient music...I might as well be living in Alabama the way people look at me. I could not imagine how hard it must be for gay people in Jersey or childfree woman.

Note to all: if you are even slightly away from the usuall suburbanite Mod cutmarried and with a bunch of little mod cut running around the yard or plan on being as such soon, Jersey is not for you.

This is just one more reason I am leaving as soon as I get the funds together to do so.

EDIT: granted, you will be left alone more often than not for the most part, but that is just the thing, you will be ALONE Here in Jersey, 99% of the people are really blue-collar traditional Norman Rockwell types, and alternative type people are few and far between. You can live here without being harassed on a day to day basis, but get ready for an existince that is marked by being around people with whom you are not on the same wave length with to say the least.

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-25-2010 at 05:16 AM.. Reason: Inappropriate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 10:06 PM

177 posts, read 700,547 times

Old 02-25-2010, 12:59 AM

1,604 posts, read 3,884,739 times
I think, for the most part at least, that people from NJ really don't care what you're lifestyle is, and if we find you weird, we avoid you to avoid unnecessary conflict.

It's less racism, more apathy

Old 02-25-2010, 02:17 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,583,343 times
Everyone everywhere is naturally a racist. Its a natural human condition of processed thought and decision making. The politically correct game everyone plays is to see how well they can pretend they are not.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
I think, for the most part at least, that people from NJ really don't care what you're lifestyle is, and if we find you weird, we avoid you to avoid unnecessary conflict.

It's less racism, more apathy
That is what I am saying in the end in after the big bold letters in red that say EDIT, if you are into something different from the norm you will be left alone...and I mean ALONE. You will be the only one and be surrounded by people living the same lifestyle as you are and be a complete outcast. At least in other states there are cities/areas where being alternative is common place but in Jersey, no such luck.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Everyone everywhere is naturally a racist. Its a natural human condition of processed thought and decision making. The politically correct game everyone plays is to see how well they can pretend they are not.

This is not about racism, but about lifestyle...hence the title "New Jersey is not very friendly to ALTERNATIVE LIFESTYLES." It has nothing at all to do with race.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:17 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,933,638 times
I'm not sure your "lifestyle" would be accepted most places....you can't blame NJ for that....

Old 02-25-2010, 05:01 AM

23,539 posts, read 17,216,356 times
Default Who is this NJ of which we speak?

Myth of NJ being the issue will work for now.....

At some point when you look up from your pain you will see NJ is not the issue. Best of luck.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:03 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,375,484 times
For the most part, gays, child-free couples, etc., are far more accepted than you think- especially in today's society. And you threw in the "racism in the south" thing, Mod cut if we're so prejudiced, how do you explain Atlanta having one of the biggest (if not THE biggest) gay populations in the country?

I think you're projecting some of the treatment that you've recieved due to some admittedly unusual things like being into "magick with a 'k' " and pet rodents, and trying to extend that treatment to others you feel are in "different" groups. What you fail to realize is two things:

- The treatment you're receiving isn't an NJ-centric thing- you'll likely be looked at strangely in 99% of the country
- The other groups you mentioned don't get the treatment you do, because in general, they're far more commonplace nowadays, and aren't out trying to "make a statement" like I'd be willing to bet you are in your dress and attitude.

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-25-2010 at 05:15 AM.. Reason: Rude, personal attack

Old 02-25-2010, 05:19 AM

50,730 posts, read 36,447,875 times
I'm a "child-free woman" and have not experienced any frowning upon due to that (maybe with the exception of a family member or two). Maybe you're just not in the right place. There are areas in every state that are more conservative, and areas where they are more liberal and forgiving of a bohemian type lifestyle. Heck, I was surprised to find there's a very large gay area in Houston when I spent 6 months there a couple years ago...no one bothered them and they were integrated in the community...however if a gay man chose to move 30 miles south to Baytown or one of the other refinery towns, I'm sure it would be a very different experience. There are plenty of bohemian towns in Jersey, but why would you expect a suburb would be one of them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey