U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 03:40 PM

4 posts, read 20,848 times

Advertisements

I live in central jersey and planning on remodel my small kitchen this summer, anyone worked with someone before that does a good job? I had some bad experience with contractors before, they almost always late and sometime doesn't even show up or they trying to rip me off. I need someone that's reliable and will do their job right. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 06:59 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,558,867 times
Plenty of contractors looking for work out there now. Make sure the people you hire are licensed and insured. And make sure they do not hire illegals.

I do recommend Candelino Kitchens 908-353-6094. Tell him SergioM recommended him.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:30 PM

21 posts, read 56,354 times
No matter who you hire never give a deposit up front, if the contractor has no credit with his suppliers do you really want to do business with him/her?
One exception;
Custom made cabinets will require a deposit because they are being made to fit your kitchen.
Pay the contractor for his supplies the day they are delivered and pay him weekly based on percentage of job completion.
When the job is completed hold back 10% untill all inspections are approved then pay him his 10%.
You should expect the contractor to do a good job in a timely fashion and he expects to be paid in a timely fashion.

Good contractors always show up when they are supposed to provided they are paid on time.

Dealing with a contractor is not rocket science. You expect a good job done timely and he expects to get paid. When one party does not live up to expectations the job can go bad real fast.

Good luck

Old 02-27-2010, 06:32 AM

1,046 posts, read 3,558,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living in NJ View Post
No matter who you hire never give a deposit up front, if the contractor has no credit with his suppliers do you really want to do business with him/her?
One exception;
Custom made cabinets will require a deposit because they are being made to fit your kitchen.
Pay the contractor for his supplies the day they are delivered and pay him weekly based on percentage of job completion.
When the job is completed hold back 10% untill all inspections are approved then pay him his 10%.
You should expect the contractor to do a good job in a timely fashion and he expects to be paid in a timely fashion.

Good contractors always show up when they are supposed to provided they are paid on time.

Dealing with a contractor is not rocket science. You expect a good job done timely and he expects to get paid. When one party does not live up to expectations the job can go bad real fast.

Good luck

Contractors are not going to order cabinets, take out permits and schedule you in without a down payment. With this advice contractors will think that you are not ready to do the work and will not take you serious. You just need to know who you are dealing with

Old 02-27-2010, 06:45 AM

21 posts, read 56,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio M View Post
Contractors are not going to order cabinets, take out permits and schedule you in without a down payment. With this advice contractors will think that you are not ready to do the work and will not take you serious. You just need to know who you are dealing with
NFN but before you comment on a post perhaps you should read the entire post.

BTW My advise worked for me for over 30 years as a contractor.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:02 AM

10,425 posts, read 44,630,567 times
Quote:
One exception;

I do not agree with the dealer Sergio always recommends. They sell 3 average brands which I have no love affair with, Marsh and Mouser are just basic builders grade while Pioneer is a slight upgrade. If you wish for any modern goodies you will not find it with these brands. Ask that dealer if they discount from list price. If they do not then nothing more need be said about them anyway.

That company that Sergio always recommends I have trouble with. The 3 brands of cabinets they sell are just basic at best and come with few options. Just a basic decent builders grade box. Not that there is nothing wrong with a basic no frills box, depends on what you are looking for. I have no love affair with Marsh and Mouser while Pioneer is just ok.

Good luck
Mod cut No cabinet dealer will order you cabinets without a deposit. Who do you know will lay out that kind of money for cabinets with the hope that the customer will pay?

So why do custom cabinets require a deposit more so? Those clowns lay out minimal dollars for materials. Those dealers ordering stock or semi stock cabinets lay out big dollars to order. Go ahead and see what happens if you go to the real rapists at the big orange who only want your little green. They charge you 100% in full and tell you 6-8 weeks when they know damn well the truth is 12 to 14 weeks. Now how can I get get cabinets in 5 days and it takes them 3 months?

Custom cabinets will require less money up front because there is less $$ outlay on the cabinet makers part. From the consumers point of view, custom made is a gross waste of money for an inferior product. Also from the consumers stance, buying from the big box stores is about as stupid a punching yourself in the face till you fall down in pain. They charge full list price which is MSRP. Who ever paid sticker price for their new car? No one except those uneducated consumers. No one pays list price but the big box stores get away with it.

Today most all small kitchen showrooms discount heavy from list price. Search these dealers out.

I do agree with everything else you said....except paying as materials are delivered don't really work with cabinets.

I do not agree with the dealer Sergio always recommends. That dealer only sells Marsh and Mouser brands which I have no love affair with. Pioneer is just ok. If they do not discount from list then who cares what brand they sell

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-27-2010 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: Rude, verging on personal attack.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:59 PM

46 posts, read 124,172 times
It seems a matter of common sense to me that any contractor should expect a deposit up front before ordering any materials. The customer could change their mind, pass away, refuse to pay, etc. and the contractor may not be able to recover the costs of the materials.

That being said, the unfortunate experience I have had is that my contractor charged me over $3000 more to remodel my tiny kitchen than what I later found out my neighbors paid for the exact same materials in an even larger kitchen. I made the mistake of not getting several estimates BEFORE agreeing to the work. My neighbor's contractor not only charges much less but does a much nicer job. This was a huge mistake on my part, and I have no recourse now except to learn from it. I obviously will never recommend this contractor, and if I ever hear his name mentioned around the community, I will tell people about my experience and suggest they talk to the contractor who is fair and professional. One way or the other, my contractor will get what he has coming to him for greedily taking advantage of a senior citizen on a fixed income. I would never wish any harm on anyone-not even my worst enemy, but fate has an uncanny way of making people pay an unthinkable cost for taking advantage of others. What goes around, comes around, and ultimately, we reap what we sew! Be very careful if you think you can rip people off without paying a huge consequence down the road when you least expect tragedy to call upon you. At the very least, you will wind up losing ten times as much money as what you got from your customers out of greed.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:48 PM

5 posts, read 7,855 times
i mentioned this company many times tonight actually and they lay out money when needed. Russo Contracting Inc. redid my kitchen, bathroom, and built a deck off the back of my house. They helped me when i needed it and gave me the benefit of the doubt and they trusted me, which is why I trust them and i am giving their name out so much. they did great work for me and my friend, who told me about them. CALL THEM!! check out their website too russocontracting.com you will not be disappointed.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:47 AM

2,710 posts, read 6,215,563 times
Quote:
Yea, good luck with that. Never pay a contractor the FULL amount up front, but generally accepted practice with contractors is a 1/3 up front so they can buy materials, a 1/3 when the job is half completed and a 1/3 when the jobs competed. Contractors are just as afraid your going to be one of those customers from hell that is going to nit pick every little thing, want discounts and extras for free or are going to try to stiff them out of money. No contractor is going to get involved with a big job without some kind of payment schedule.

I have had small jobs done without money up front, like I had sidewalks and driveways poured and paid them in full after the job was completed. But big jobs require you to put up some cash.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,040 times
Hello my name is Toni Ann and I am a sales associate of Tony Skulitz, Kitchen Wizard and More LLC. He is a licenced contractor and does all types of indoor and outdoor remodeling as well as handyman work as well. His website is [url=http://www.handymanTony.net]Kitchen Wizard and More LLC - Home[/url] and his phone number is 732-228-1961. When calling please let him know I referred you. He comes to you for everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey