U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 12:34 AM

13,466 posts, read 14,451,501 times

Advertisements

"New Brunswick to pay $1.4M to retiring 6 employees for vacation, sick time"

New Brunswick to pay $1.4M to retiring 6 employees for vacation, sick time | - NJ.com

Old 03-02-2010, 05:59 AM

15,912 posts, read 10,962,018 times
Default accrued sick/vacation time

Henceforth while this antiquated government practice exists, the pay received at retirement will be equivalent to the salary/hourly rate in place during the year the leave was originally offerred. It shall not be calculated using the pay rate in the year of retirement.

Hear about the millions the two water authority folks received in north Jersey????!!!!!!!

Duh!

Old 03-02-2010, 06:42 AM

2,771 posts, read 5,415,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post

New Brunswick to pay $1.4M to retiring 6 employees for vacation, sick time | - NJ.com
I guess that's the price you pay for "the benefits" of NJ. I wonder which of these "benefits" these retirees will provide, "in return" for this windfall ?

Old 03-02-2010, 07:57 AM

5,370 posts, read 10,130,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post

Doc, this is happening all over the state. They are getting out before they may have to use their time. Now they can buy a waterfront house in the Carolinas or Florida for cash and receive a 6 figure pension with free bennies till they drop dead. Talk about pension reform.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:03 AM

158 posts, read 518,425 times
Speechless.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:11 AM

4,085 posts, read 7,448,676 times
If you like the benefits of being a cop, go be a cop. Whining about what cops get is just sour grapes.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:15 AM

2,212 posts, read 6,174,764 times
Shame they don't tie these things in to some kind of performance, like reduction in crime.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:42 AM

2,771 posts, read 5,415,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
If you like the benefits of being a cop, go be a cop. Whining about what cops get is just sour grapes.
It's not that we "like the benefits of being a cop". It's that we don't like paying for these benefits, especially when it's clear that the system is gamed at the tax payers expense.

Whoever negotiated that package wasn't a good advocate for the interests of the tax payer.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:05 AM

269 posts, read 817,155 times
It's not about the cops. There are plenty of others who have lucrative pension and benefits packages funded by taxpayers. It is nothing personal against the people who achieve these lofty positions, it's just that these pension and benefit packages will eventually bankrupt local, state and federal governments. They were badly structured deals based on poor planning and economics.

With the changing worker/retiree ratio, generally rising taxes and costs, declining payback on stock market and other investments, how can governments/taxpayers continue to fund these (and frighteningly more) deals? The money just isn't there.

Look at what is happening in Europe, and some of our states, now.

Mark Steyn: America's future could be all Greek to us | greece, government, america - Opinion - The Orange County Register

Old 03-02-2010, 11:30 AM

4,085 posts, read 7,448,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
It's not that we "like the benefits of being a cop". It's that we don't like paying for these benefits, especially when it's clear that the system is gamed at the tax payers expense.

Whoever negotiated that package wasn't a good advocate for the interests of the tax payer.
I don't like paying for anything. I wish things were handed to me and things were done for me for free, or very little. I don't mind paying for a good, licensed, insured plumber to come fix a clogged drain if he charges me $10. That's what I think it's worth. But they are all in collusion to charge 10x that. Waaahhh!!! It's corruption! It's waste!! I see them sitting in their trucks drinking coffee, wasting time!!! Maybe if there were no waste there would be a good, insured, licensed plumber out there who charges $10 to unclog a drain!

"we don't like paying"... Who EVER likes paying??? Nobody. People pay because they have to. If you can get the same exact service for less, would you pay the higher cost? No. If you could get the same exact service for free, would you pay? No. But it's a fact of life - you typically have to pay for things, and you typically get what you pay for or don't pay for. You want cops? You have to pay. You want to pay less? Have your town hire security guards with walkie talkies and get rid of most cops. Have two cops for your town and 5 security guards with walkie talkies who are not allowed to get involved. They do that in Seattle and it saves them money. So what if a teen girl can get beaten severely right in front of them while they do nothing but call police??? Seattle's taxes aren't as high as ours because they're saving money!!!

Personally, I think a lot of people in the corporations I work for and with are way, way overpaid. Same goes for their competition. But hey, the job market supports their pay. So why should I begrudge someone getting what the market supported him or her getting? That would make me whiney crybaby, like some people are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or