Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 09:33 AM

9 posts, read 41,143 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are renting in Avenel right now, but our lease is up in about two months and we're looking at moving to either Clark or Cranford. Can anybody give any advice as to which is better? They seem pretty close in most important aspects, but we're looking for someplace with a low crime rate, affordable living, good schools, conveniences in town (ie stores and stuff), proximity to train (I commute into NYC) and such. Basically we're looking for a place to settle down, and the plan is to rent there for a year to make sure we like it before buying. Can anybody give me any advice on why I would or would not want to live in either?

Thanks,
Stu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 10:49 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times
Cranford is considered more desirable, and housing prices reflect that. Cranford has a downtown (Clark does not) and a train station (Clark does not). Cranford's schools are a notch above Clark's.

Also, Clark has a reputation for racism, whether it's deserved or not (when I was growing up, it was deserved).

Old 03-04-2010, 10:59 AM

18 posts, read 43,279 times
Red face Cranford

I have lived in Cranford since 1978 and have never regretted our decision. Small town feel, nice downtown area, activities in new Community Center for all, sports programs,two town pools, library,parades. Lots to do if you want to get involved.

My two kids both attended all public schools and both went to a great university and were well prepared. Wakable neighborhood schools including High Shool. We are both teachers so we stayed on top of our kids (should do wherever you live). We feel the school system is first class.

Only drawback is the possibility of flooding. Check carefully with Realtor for areas. We had to buy flood insurance to get mortgage so we went in with our eyes open. Two floods since 2000 (none before that). Much of town does not flood.

Iwould highly recommend Cranford based on our experiences.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:13 PM

89 posts, read 444,619 times
My only issue with either town is the generally small lot size. Seems like most houses are on a tenth of an acre or slightly larger...

Old 03-04-2010, 12:47 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Your money may go slightly farther in Clark, but you'll lose the proximity to the train, and the walkable downtown. Of course, if you're not living within walking distance of the train station in Cranford, you're out of luck anyway, since there's a long wait list for parking.

Last edited by Viralmd; 03-04-2010 at 02:27 PM..

Old 03-04-2010, 04:19 PM

54 posts, read 244,299 times
I lived in Cranford for 4 years and my in-laws live in Clark and my husband grew up there. I would say Cranford hands down for the reasons people have mentioned. I think with the new parking garage it is easy to find parking for the train now...but I could be wrong..

Old 03-04-2010, 04:31 PM

478 posts, read 1,749,183 times
My brother lives in Cranford..his house is smaller then mind and cost like $75,000 less...but he pays $9000 in RE taxes while I pay $4000 a year..I worked in NYC too (was laidoff)... commuted from ocean county..yes a bummer but love where I live.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:24 AM

47 posts, read 118,018 times
Pretty much what everyone has said here is true. Clark is a nice town. But Cranford is a little nicer and has more of a downtown with the train station right in the middle of the town. But its also more expensive. If u can afford it. Choose Cranford. If not, u won't go wrong by choosing Clark either.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:51 AM

6 posts, read 39,273 times
We recently moved to Clark and don't regret our decision. Although there is no down town area like in Cranford, there are plenty of stores, super markets and restaurants to satisfy many people's needs. Plus Cranford, Westfield, etc. are so close that it doesn't really matter. We came from and work in the city so we know what its like to live close to stores. We take the Rahway train to work which is the same distance as going to Cranford but the Rahway train home can be faster. I also notice that you do get more lot for your money in Clark than in Cranford as we know people that live there. Good luck

Old 06-14-2010, 08:08 PM

143 posts, read 415,842 times
Both are good areas, I would suggest you take a drive around & see what you like. I rented for a year in Cranford years back and really like the town. The only reason we did not stay was that I needed to be closer to a east/west corridor (78/22) for my job.
Overall I would choose Cranford: I would say schools are better (you can look up scores on the state site or check greatschools.com) and the neighborhoods are very well kept up. Some areas of Clark (esp near parkway) are a little worn out looking IMO. I have heard about the racism - esp in Winfield Park- but many towns in the area (including my current one) have that reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey