Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 11:04 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
I'm with Shorebaby. As a Hoboken resident, I am pissed off at the behavior of some of these idiots. So far today already, I have walked across the street to get the newspaper, only to have to avoid bumping into people that cannot hold their booze and walk a straight line. In our building, we have a security guard on duty until tomorrow to protect it from the puke, pee, cigarette butts that littered our lobby and where bottles and cans that were tossed of terraces last year. In addition, I have also had a party of over-indulgers walk in through my front door in search of the party.
Mod cut

Seriously, I have NO problem with drinking. I do it myself and on occassion have over-done it (especially when I was younger). But at NO time did I put families with small children at risk as I lurched along the sidewalk. And NOTHING makes it alright to throw things off a terrace - especially burning cigarettes while people are walking below.

Have your booze, enjoy the music and the company at the bars, but try to remember that you are not 14 and getting loaded for the first time.

You chose to live in Hoboken with kids. It is to be expected and comes with the territory.

Last edited by Viralmd; 03-07-2010 at 11:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 12:31 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
You chose to live in Hoboken with kids. It is to be expected and comes with the territory.

So do laws, I think a $2000 fine is a little low, but it will do for now.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:24 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,722 times
Actually GiantRutgersfan, I don't have kids - I just expect people to observe normal, accepted codes of conduct - especially people in their 20's who should know better. That includes not having sex in a public area, using a toilet - or at least being discrete when forced for whatever reason to go outside (hey - it happens), not toss beer cans, bottles and lit cigarettes off rooftops or terraces, and when a guest at a person's apartment complex, not to throw their same said cans, bottles, wrappers, cigarette butts in my lobby. Again, you know, normal, accepted codes of public conduct...

Old 03-08-2010, 05:51 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Wow!!! No actually it is not expected and it doesn't come with the territory!!
Most of the mayhem is caused by out of towners who come to Hoboken to party for the day..party like an adult and be respectful of other people's property....not like an episode of girls gone wild or similar
I hope the cops stuck to their guns and did hand out the fines to the idiots who behave like this.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:05 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,075,065 times
I can understand a fat fine for public urination but $2K for an open container? I could see this being inforced in a police town like Roseland or Morris Plains but Hoboken of all places? This is Hoboken we're talking about people. This place was a crazy swinging party town before any of us were born and has been our entire lives and will continue to be after we're gone. What the hell is this state coming to?

Old 03-08-2010, 07:24 AM

84 posts, read 199,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
I can understand a fat fine for public urination but $2K for an open container? I could see this being inforced in a police town like Roseland or Morris Plains but Hoboken of all places? This is Hoboken we're talking about people. This place was a crazy swinging party town before any of us were born and has been our entire lives and will continue to be after we're gone. What the hell is this state coming to?
The town needs the money. Having seen in the past the carnage left by the morons who come in for the day, I see the fines as appropriate.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:03 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
They, IMO, are not wanting to give fines....but rather head off trouble at the pass. If they said there was a $50 fine, I'm guessing a whole lot more people would say "screw it" and do what they wanted. Events like this are hell for cops, they need to try to make sure trouble never starts rather than wait until there are fights, etc.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:48 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They, IMO, are not wanting to give fines....but rather head off trouble at the pass. If they said there was a $50 fine, I'm guessing a whole lot more people would say "screw it" and do what they wanted. Events like this are hell for cops, they need to try to make sure trouble never starts rather than wait until there are fights, etc.
The cops love events like this... They get overtime pay and get to see some action. I saw the cops beat up 2 different guys (deservably so in both cases). They enjoy it and dont let em tell you otherwise.

I have no problem with the cops or them giving out fines. They didnt make the fine $2000. But for the city to make the fine $2000 is a little ridiculous. Especially when the port o johns they had there were overflowing and I was literally standing in 3 inches of pee while in there. Disguisting.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:55 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,075,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piespies View Post
The town needs the money. Having seen in the past the carnage left by the morons who come in for the day, I see the fines as appropriate.
$2,000 for an open container? That has to be 10X as much as any open container law in any city in America. In Hoboken of all places? You know how much this will kill local business if people keep losing their buzz and eventually are bankrupt because they can't do something that's harmless and been going on in the city for over a century. That's pitiful.

I hereby announce my personal boycott of Hoboken. Former party city of fun times, good looking women, lose enforcement of menial laws, now turned into a totalitarian police city with social laws that would make Kudulfi proud. Forget those who write municipal laws for Hoboken. This New Jersey resident and former occasional patron of Hoboken will either go into New York or New Brunswick for the former deeds he used to enjoy in Hoboken.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:26 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
$2,000 for an open container? That has to be 10X as much as any open container law in any city in America. In Hoboken of all places? in Hoboken.
NYC is only a $45 fine for open container, hows that. $2,000 open container is ridiculous. A bit more understandable for pissing in public but still.

What if you puke in public? Is that a fine too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey