Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 7,775 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am a 32 year old single guy who grew up in Bergen County and left for college, more training (about 14 years worth) throughout various parts of the US. LA, TN, and lastly FL. Even though i grew up here in high school I barely know anyone and will be as if I am starting out brand new. I would hate to be stuck in suburbia with nothing to do.

I have a job that I would be working in Edison for 3-4 days and Old Bridge, NJ for 1-2 days during the workweek.

I was thinking of living in Hoboken and commuting to Edison and Old Bridge. I know Edison there is a train and by putting in my info on the NJT website. The PATH goes to Secaucus exchange and then to Metropark. Takes an hr it says.
Driving takes 30 minutes. Old Bridge take 45 min.

Where would you live if you were me, something fairly safe, clean, fun and with other 30 something single people to meet. Is Hoboken a viable option for me considering the commute time and factoring in traffic ?

Any HELP would be most appreciated !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 07:59 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matv78 View Post
Hi all, I am a 32 year old single guy who grew up in Bergen County and left for college, more training (about 14 years worth) throughout various parts of the US. LA, TN, and lastly FL. Even though i grew up here in high school I barely know anyone and will be as if I am starting out brand new. I would hate to be stuck in suburbia with nothing to do.

I have a job that I would be working in Edison for 3-4 days and Old Bridge, NJ for 1-2 days during the workweek.

I was thinking of living in Hoboken and commuting to Edison and Old Bridge. I know Edison there is a train and by putting in my info on the NJT website. The PATH goes to Secaucus exchange and then to Metropark. Takes an hr it says.
Driving takes 30 minutes. Old Bridge take 45 min.

Where would you live if you were me, something fairly safe, clean, fun and with other 30 something single people to meet. Is Hoboken a viable option for me considering the commute time and factoring in traffic ?

Any HELP would be most appreciated !!
Absolutely. I travel to Edison everyday from Hoboken takes about 35 minutes by car.

Hoboken has good restaurants and great options for getting into Manhattan, Path, bus boat. It is a great place to meet people. I highly recommend it.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:32 AM

4 posts, read 16,887 times
I'm fairly sure the PATH doesn't go to Secacus- NJT does though on a fairly regular basis.
I would also recommend Hoboken.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:29 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,772,956 times
path does NOT go to Secaucus but they are talking about making the light rail go there (if they get the money, HA)

Hoboken, hands down.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:51 AM

201 posts, read 619,402 times
Hoboken would be a nice fit if you could afford it. All the 20 somethings have been flushed out with the housing crisis and can't afford the half mill condos and 2k per month rents. A lot of 30 somethings there now. You also don't really need to live in Hoboken to go party there. You could live somewhere near there cheap like Guttenberg. You could also just rent in Edison. Not bad rents there only like 900-1000 a month.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:40 PM

2 posts, read 7,775 times
Thanks for all your input. I greatly appreciate it. Any thoughts on New Brunswick. I hear they put alot of effort to revitalize the downtown areas and there appear to be some new apartments there. Someone told me there are some non-collegy bars downtown also. Rent there is inexpensive compared to hoboken and much shorter commute. If there are other 30 somethings there it would be great but I don't want to be an old geezer walking into a bar full of 22 year olds. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Hoboken vs NB in this scenario. Thanks so much !

Old 03-08-2010, 09:07 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
35 mins by car to Edison is a bit of a Stretch, its more like an hr with all the Traffic no matter what time of day. You can take the PATH to Newark then switch to the Northeast Corridor line and take that to Edison, that should take 45-50 mins. You could go to Secacuse , but its cheaper going to Newark Penn via the PATH form Hoboken.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:25 PM

877 posts, read 2,838,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matv78 View Post
Thanks for all your input. I greatly appreciate it. Any thoughts on New Brunswick. I hear they put alot of effort to revitalize the downtown areas and there appear to be some new apartments there. Someone told me there are some non-collegy bars downtown also. Rent there is inexpensive compared to hoboken and much shorter commute. If there are other 30 somethings there it would be great but I don't want to be an old geezer walking into a bar full of 22 year olds. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Hoboken vs NB in this scenario. Thanks so much !
New Brunswick has always been my big hot spot, the girlfriend and I have hung out there many times, we've gone to Tumulty's (Irish pub), Stuff Yer Face (Beer and Boli place on Easton Ave), there's tons of bars around with lots of music. I used to play in a band and one bar we always got in was the Court Tavern on the corner of Spring and Church Streets. There's also Harvest Moon downtown which I think has more of a folky music scene.

I don't think much of the Rutgers crowd goes downtown (George St.) usually most of that is along Easton Ave. I could be wrong though, we saw people of all ages at Tumulty's, but I'm 25 so I don't really know anyone in their early to mid 30's who goes out around there. I've hung out many nights at Stuff Yer Face and that is mostly college kids. If you work in Edison why not take a stroll around one night after work and see what you think.

I like Hoboken, did some volunteer work at a shelter there when I was in college, looks like a mini-Manhattan, but that whole area up there is a little too preppy for my tastes. I'm sure many like that though, but that's just my personal opinion.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:44 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,045,739 times
I would say downtown Jersey City, West New York, North Bergen, Weehawken. Places with easy commute to HOboken and NYC because Hoboken is way overpriced.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:36 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
I would say downtown Jersey City, West New York, North Bergen, Weehawken. Places with easy commute to HOboken and NYC because Hoboken is way overpriced.
He's working in Edison,NJ , so it would be a reverse Morning commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey