Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 10:48 PM

20 posts, read 70,073 times

Advertisements

My few sense.
From what you are looking to spend...and travel time....Glen Ridge/UPPER MONTCLAIR would probably be the place. Although pbergen seems well versed, and the others mentioned might be nice. But Montclair is about most liberal.
BTW...Yes, as someone said, Lower your expectations.
But welcome to one of the Best States in Country.
Hope you don't get too cold in Wintertime though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 08:17 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,038,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmee View Post
Thanks SO much for all the great info. Quick question re: Princeton...I was actually very interested in the area as it seems a good fit for our lifestyle but it sounds like the commute ain't so great, correct? Right now, my husband commutes from San Jose to San Francisco and back during the work week...he drives to the train station, takes the train up, and hoofs it a few blocks to his office. I think it's about 1-1.5 hours one way commute. Would Princeton or other towns further "inland" be a lengthier commute than this into the city?
yeah, the commute from princeton to nyc is kind of a schlep, although plenty of people do it everyday. i'd say that the absolute minimum (door-to-door) is 90 minutes, but with any sort of delay, your husband will be looking at 2 hours or more.

basically, your husband's commute time would depend on three factors:
a) whether or not he catches an express train
b) how long it takes him to get from your house to the princeton junction train station
c) how long it takes from ny penn station to his office

there are a number of express trains in both directions, which are the key to making the commute bearable. an express train going nearly non-stop from princeton junction to ny penn station takes about 55 minutes, whereas an express making about half the stops will take roughly 75 minutes. local trains take about 90 minutes and are to be avoided except when necessary.

but don't underestimate how much the door-to-door commute can be lengthened by points b and c.

first of all, as frugalmom noted, the princeton junction train station is actually located in the neighboring municipality of west windsor rather than princeton proper, which means that you can't just roll out of your bed in princeton and hop on a train to nyc 5 minutes later.

to get to the train station by car, you'd have to drive about 3 miles from downtown princeton (the area around the university) or up to 6 miles from the township's northern/western fringes. and as viralmd mentioned, commuters who are not residents of west windsor township have a 4 year wait for a parking permit at the station, meaning that your husband wouldn't be able to get there by car unless you dropped him off everyday. this would require leaving the house 15-20 minutes in advance.

the other option for getting to princeton junction is to ride the "dinky", which is a shuttle train that connects downtown princeton with princeton junction and takes 5 minutes one-way. since no parking is available at the dinky station, this is really only an option if your house is located within walking distance.

if he were to take the dinky, your husband would still need to leave the house at least 20 minutes in advance: figure on a 5 minute walk to the dinky stop, 5 minutes to wait for its arrival, a 5 minute ride on the dinky to princeton junction, and then 5 minutes (or more) waiting for the train to nyc.

assuming he catches the express train, in this best case scenario (no delays and only 5 minute waits for each train) your husband would arrive at ny penn station about 75 minutes after he left the house.

from there, factor in the time needed to get from the lower level of penn station to his office. even if it's within walking distance, he'll probably need about 15 minutes: 10 minutes just to get upstairs and onto street level outside of the station, then if he's lucky, maybe a 5 minute walk to the office.

so your husband is looking at a 90 minute door-to-door commute at an absolute minimum.

but if he has to switch to the subway or bus once he arrives at penn station, add another 10-20 minutes. and if there are any delays with the dinky or northeast corridor train or traffic on the way to princeton junction, tack on some more time, which could easily bring the commute up to 2+ hours.

in my opinion, the daily commute from princeton is not worth it unless you have a job or family ties in that part of nj. princeton is a great town and is close to some lovely rural areas that totally defy the popular stereotypes of the state, but i think you can find everything you're looking for in one of the inner-ring suburbs mentioned earlier.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:01 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,523,666 times
Your description of an ideal place for you accurately describes my old home of Maplewood, NJ. You can get afeel for the vibe of the town on a website, Maplewoodonline.com. We were so sorry to leave for a job relocation. Though I only lived there for 3.5 years...it is the place I always refer to as home.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 586 times
Quote:
I haven't a clue about New Jersey (native Californian) so any advice about where to live (or NOT to live) and other considerations would be much appreciated. Oh, and bring on the reality checks as needed!

J
Jenmee, do you have an update? If you made it to NJ, what's your experience been like? Where did you settle? I'm coincidentally in the Bay Area and considering a move to the Princeton area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey