Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2010, 05:09 PM

4 posts, read 12,365 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move to Ocean County from Middlesex due to my wife's job at Lakewood. Can someone suggest us a safe place to rent may be an apt for 1 year? We looked at New Hampshire commons, washington square in lakewood but just want to compare with the nearby towns as well. Any nice one in tomsriver and in Jackson? We want to restrict ourself to $1300/per month rent.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 06:53 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,592 times
I'm assuming you don't have school age kids, but if you do, you would probably want to look at Toms River, Jackson or Brick.

I'm sure all three have nice rentals in your budget, just don't know the rental market well enough to recommend anything.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:47 PM

877 posts, read 2,839,367 times
Look in Brick or Toms River.

Few years ago Brick was ranked safest town in America, Toms River was not far behind. My ex girlfriend grew up in Jackson, which is definitely inferior to the other two. She lived in one of the better neighborhoods close to Great Adventure. The east side of town near Lakewood has some shady areas. Crime is pretty high, there's even an apartment complex there that locals have referred to as "Jackson's version of the projects" built in an attempt to get bums out of the woods. Jackson is huge territory-wise, about 100 square miles. It is growing quite rapidly now although I've heard the recession helped slow it down. Personally I wouldn't live there, their slogan has been "Where Hicks and Hoods meet".

Old 03-11-2010, 06:32 AM

4 posts, read 12,365 times
yes, we don't have kids but expecting one soon. In particular, does anyone have feedback on some of the apts managed by Kamson community? they have one on the hooper avenue in Brick and couple in the west county line road, toms river? My wife is planning to look at them during lunch hours. Are they worth visiting?

Old 03-11-2010, 02:05 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,801 times
Look into Point Pleasant; it's about 12 miles from Lakewood.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:33 PM

877 posts, read 2,839,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatTheTraffic View Post
Check out Howell, too. It's Monmouth County but borders Lakewood. There are a ton of new apartment complexes around town, and the rent is on par or a little bit more affordable than Toms River.

The vast majority of apartment/condo complexes in Brick and Toms River are fine, but a couple (Maple Leaf Park in Brick, Hope's Crossing in Toms River) have some Section 8 people in them and the problems that go with that. Just make sure to take a look around and ensure your would-be neighbors are the types you'd want to live with.

Howell, Brick and TR schools are all pretty good if you have kids. In TR, "East" and "North" high schools are the best.
Yeah Howell, Brick and Toms River all kinda compare pretty well with each other. I got some friends in Howell from Brookdale, it's a very quiet area and is alot more spread out than other towns in Monmouth County, although I've heard it is getting more expensive now. That said I'm not familiar with the apartments there. For condos check out Point O'Woods on Bergerville Rd off Rt 9 (behind the bowling alley).

How about Wall? I never see much here about that town, only thing I really know about it is that it contains the most dangerous intersection in the state of New Jersey: the Rt 33, 34 & CR 547 circle. My father used to drive for Olympic on that circle all those years ago, said that then he saw it in the paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey