Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2010, 11:25 AM

125 posts, read 504,811 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me more about the taxes and cost of house insurance in this are? We are looking 2000sq home. Also my husband will be commuting to Staten Island. Are the schools good? Are the towns small and homey feeling or congested? All the information would be much appreciated. We will be relocating from FLA. Our price range is 299000 and under.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 01:59 PM

877 posts, read 2,837,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimwick View Post
Can anyone tell me more about the taxes and cost of house insurance in this are? We are looking 2000sq home. Also my husband will be commuting to Staten Island. Are the schools good? Are the towns small and homey feeling or congested? All the information would be much appreciated. We will be relocating from FLA. Our price range is 299000 and under.
Manahawkin is IN Stafford so the taxes would be the same I imagine. Really not familiar with it except that it's right next to Long Beach Island, so traffic will be a bummer in the summer. I don't think it's that crowded aside from that. It will definitely be a long commute to Staten Island, I'd allow two hours at least. I'm in North Brunswick and it's more than an hour from here to Toms River.

I can't give you information on the taxes or insurance but that area is pretty reasonable I think, compared to some areas further north.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:33 PM

14 posts, read 51,496 times
You'll find a GREAT house for under 300k in Manahawkin. Most families live in the Ocean Acres section of town. There are mostly newer ranch and 2 story colonials there. Taxes are @ $6k for an average 2000 sq. ft home. My mom lives there and loves it. Every street in the acres section has a beach theme name to it. LBI is only @ a 10 mile drive east on rt 72. Most day trippers come to my town, Ship Bottom or Surf City b/c they are the towns on the island immediately north and south of when you come on.

Beach Haven west is an area of town that all houses are on lagoons. This is mostly a seasonal area, where the houses are 2nd homes. They are small ranches and cape cod style houses. There are a lot of year rounders there, but not every house is occupied for 12 months of the year.

Beachview area is your typical obnoxious mcmansions on acre plus lots. 500k+ and up. Taxes here are equal to some North Jersey towns in excess of 14k+ a year!
Mayetta area is kind of podunk......Although there are nice houses over here the older ones with cars on the lawns outweigh the new ones....

Good Luck with your move it's a nice town. A lot of people commute to NYC. As long as he's up early enough & on the road by 5:30 he'll be there by 7 - 7:30.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey