Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2010, 05:32 PM

4 posts, read 16,121 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

My husband and I are considering relocating from Brooklyn to New Jersey. We are parents of two young children and are primarily moving so that we can become homeowners and send our children to good public schools. We've been looking primarily in Maplewood but have now seen two properties in S.O. - one is in Tuxedo Park on Milton Place. It is significantly more house for a lot less money than what we've seen in Maplewood. Please share what you know about Tuxedo Park? Are there any major concerns about this area? Any particularly nice things? I understand it has an active neighborhood association? What about the relationship of the town with Seton Hall? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 06:43 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,273,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcz11 View Post
Hello All,

My husband and I are considering relocating from Brooklyn to New Jersey. We are parents of two young children and are primarily moving so that we can become homeowners and send our children to good public schools. We've been looking primarily in Maplewood but have now seen two properties in S.O. - one is in Tuxedo Park on Milton Place. It is significantly more house for a lot less money than what we've seen in Maplewood. Please share what you know about Tuxedo Park? Are there any major concerns about this area? Any particularly nice things? I understand it has an active neighborhood association? What about the relationship of the town with Seton Hall? Thanks in advance.
Prices are lower in Tuxedo Park. In general, the Eastern borders of both Maplewood and SO are cheaper, because of their proximity to less desirable neighborhoods.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:53 AM

4 posts, read 16,121 times
thanks elflord, I've been able to find lots about maplewood, very little about tuxedo park, I'm beginning to learn about the different neighborhoods in MW- one of the houses we're looking at is in the college hill section - it seems the closer to Springfield, the lower the asking price. The first time we drove up, we came through Irvington and I'd be happy if I never drove through there again

Old 03-17-2010, 11:41 AM

381 posts, read 1,309,064 times
I'm interested in this area too so I hope some local residents will chime in. It's probably the only part of So. Orange we can afford, and I'd love to be near Seton Hall and Our Lady of Sorrows. But safety is a concern.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:10 PM

1 posts, read 6,560 times
Hi mcz11
We are also parents of 2 young kids. I assume at this stage you may have already bought but in case you have not, I should tell you we just moved to Tuxedo park. My husband is Irish and we were living in Dublin for the last 5 years but I am from around here. We love it so far. there is a VERY active neighborhood association and seem to be lots of kids in the area. It is very quiet on the streets so the kids can play. The neighbors have been nice and it is a beautiful area. We also like the diversity of it. Both of us have lived in cities a lot, including in Brooklyn and Queens and did not want to be too far from the city. the commute is good for my husband- I work in newark.
And, as a matter of fact Tuxedo oark has the lowest crime rate in all of South Orange. You should consider it. Good luck!

Old 05-02-2010, 08:39 AM

7 posts, read 26,167 times
Proceed very cautiously with 2 young children and take a look at crime maps. You will see that South Orange has a significantly higher crime rate than Maplewood.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:06 AM

431 posts, read 942,343 times
The homes are nice but the schools are terrible so the high property taxes are going to be a double hit. Most people that live there with kids send their kids to private schools in montclair

Either:
The Montclair Kimberley Academy

- www.montclairkimberley.org
201 Valley Road, Montclair - (973) 746-9800
Montclair Cooperative School

- www.montclaircoop.org
65 Chestnut Street, Montclair - (973) 783-4955

The co-op is cheaper and requires parental involvement. I almost bought there. There was an article about buying homes there and the issues of sending kids to a nice schools. Just to get the an idea, the President Robert A. Altenkirch of NJIT lives there, so he has money like that to burn

EDIT Found it:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/26/re.../26living.html

Old 05-02-2010, 09:52 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,273,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamnwk View Post
The homes are nice but the schools are terrible so the high property taxes are going to be a double hit. Most people that live there with kids send their kids to private schools in montclair

Either:
The Montclair Kimberley Academy

- www.montclairkimberley.org
201 Valley Road, Montclair - (973) 746-9800
Montclair Cooperative School

- www.montclaircoop.org
65 Chestnut Street, Montclair - (973) 783-4955

The co-op is cheaper and requires parental involvement. I almost bought there. There was an article about buying homes there and the issues of sending kids to a nice schools. Just to get the an idea, the President Robert A. Altenkirch of NJIT lives there, so he has money like that to burn

EDIT Found it:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/26/re.../26living.html
The article is about Newark. Columbia high is ranked 89th by nj monthly

Top New Jersey high schools by rank | www.njmonthly.com

What is your basis for describing the schools as "terrible" ?

Old 05-03-2010, 12:14 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,522,983 times
Not true, most people in S. Orange and Maplewood send their kids to the public schools. The private school rate is similar to towns like Millburn and Chatham, something like 7 or 8 percent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey