Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 10:59 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,570,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I would agree with this list exactly, maybe throw Moorestown and Mt. Laurel onto the end of it, although those two and maybe Marlton could be a pretty long commute to Vineland (although without much traffic). Haddonfield and Cherry Hill probably split up the commute the best and both fit the "upper crust" distinction, although as other mentioned Haddonfield is probably different from Arizona (although I've never been to Arizona so I wouldn't know).
I was a little curious about how "upper crust" Scottsdale, AZ was compared to what we consider it to be in NJ. It looks like a very nice place, but the big factor I was looking for was housing prices. The OP never mentioned a price and looking at Scottsdale it has two areas.

In one section houses are in the $250k - $300k range, in the other houses are in the $650k+ range. Property taxes are also WAY less then they are in NJ. Depending on what area the OP is coming from and what the budget is, it may really impact how much "up scale" they can afford in NJ.

It really isn't meant as a knock, but housing cost per sq. ft. in NJ is way higher than it is in AZ. Your $600k home in NJ can be 3/4 smaller, or even more than the one in AZ and that isn't factoring in the property tax difference. Before anyone could make a real recommendation that isn't just based on vagaries of "upper crust" and commute times, we would really need to know a price range and what the OP feels are acceptable property taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 12:52 PM

681 posts, read 1,508,883 times
Back to Collingswood. I suppose you are right. There are plenty of Victorian homes but many are in need to rehabilitation. Perhaps I meant that Collingswood tries the hardest to move itself up the socail ladder. I also strongly object to some of its direction that has resulted in tons of RENT/SALE signs on Haddon Ave. They better bring in some REAL retail.
That aside, I think the OP may want to take a walk along Collingswood for the sake of proximity and affordability of homes.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:18 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,826,392 times
hey NJgoat. Do you go the Collingswoods cruise nights in the summer? We do

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Not to start a town war, but I have to argue the "upscale" Collingswood comment. I was born and raised there. My parents still live there. It's a decent town whose reputation has exceeded itself. Just about the only thing "upscale" with Collingswood is the downtown, which has certainly changed a lot for the better over the years.

For the most part the houses are older and smaller and the population tends to still be really mixed socio-economically. When people say "upscale", Collingswood isn't what comes to mind. If they ask where's a cool place to go to dinner and stroll main street, then Collingswood hands down.

It's a town that has a wonderful veneer, but it's really just particle board underneath. The school system is average at best. The elementary schools are generally good, but the high school and middle school have a lot of issues. The town has come a long way, but it's not there yet. I compare it to a neighborhood in Philly that is gentrifying. There are some nice stores and restraunts. The yuppies are buying and fixing up houses, but it still could go either way.

I only say this because so many people associate Collingswood with the media and marketing image the town has and never take time to actually see what's really going on. Young couple looking for an affordable place to live with easy access to the city, Collingswood all the way. Established family with kids looking for upscale...that's just not Collingswood. Maybe, one day, but not today.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:06 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,570,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I've been there a few times. Never showing, just going. It's a nice event and I usually take my son there a couple times to look at the cars and head into the Pop Shop for some ice cream.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:26 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,526,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I love the cruise nights.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:28 AM
crx

1 posts, read 1,386 times
If you have not visited, it may be a bit of a culture shock.
We moved from Cave Creek, AZ almost 2 years ago to Bergen county. We sold our house for $400k.
We have yet to find a neighborhood or house as nice as the one we sold for under $800k in Northern NJ.
Before moving to Cave Creek, we lived in Scottsdale off Franklin Wright and the 101. That house we sold for $600 back in 2004, in North Jersey it would easily be 1 million plus with 20k plus in taxes.
After 2 years we are still looking and have expanded our search to South Jersey.
We went to look at the Cherry Hill and surrounding area earlier this week, its “ok” once you get to the nice areas on the East Side of Cherry Hill (except the roads are horrible, full of pot holes). The town itself is nothing to brag about. Taxes are very high (higher than Bergen county). We did see houses in the 650 - 750 range that we liked, but the $20k + taxes...
If the town was a little nicer (newer shopping areas, cleaner, roads better, etc…) it would work for us, after being here for 2 years and comparing to our house in Cave Creek, not the one in Scottsdale.
It all depends on where in Scottsdale you lived and what your used to.
Its worth taking a 3 -4 day trip and exploring the area before you decide.
Best of Luck

Old 03-20-2010, 11:44 AM

467 posts, read 1,188,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crx View Post
We moved from Cave Creek, AZ almost 2 years ago to Bergen county. We sold our house for $400k.
We have yet to find a neighborhood or house as nice as the one we sold for under $800k in Northern NJ.
Before moving to Cave Creek, we lived in Scottsdale off Franklin Wright and the 101. That house we sold for $600 back in 2004, in North Jersey it would easily be 1 million plus with 20k plus in taxes.
After 2 years we are still looking and have expanded our search to South Jersey.
We went to look at the Cherry Hill and surrounding area earlier this week, its “ok” once you get to the nice areas on the East Side of Cherry Hill (except the roads are horrible, full of pot holes). The town itself is nothing to brag about. Taxes are very high (higher than Bergen county). We did see houses in the 650 - 750 range that we liked, but the $20k + taxes...
If the town was a little nicer (newer shopping areas, cleaner, roads better, etc…) it would work for us, after being here for 2 years and comparing to our house in Cave Creek, not the one in Scottsdale.
Best of Luck
Well, I haven't got the job yet. They are flying me out this Wednesday for a second interview and to see the facility. But, I would like to be prepared if they offer me the position.

We currently live here at McDowell Mountain Ranch just off of east Bell, just before the road turns at the top of the hill before it hits the mountain. We are never going to get rid of the house. We bought it for $280,000 12 years ago and we are original owners. Hot tub in the backyard, putting green, waterfall and round table stand up gas pit. So we will always have this house.

But, I'm mainly looking for a place (Apartment) in an upscale area, hopefully one that is fully furnished. No, I don't want to stay at an Extended Stay Hotel. No, I'm not a rich guy. I'm more of a double wide trailer trash kind of a guy, living in and mixing in with the Jones, try to keep up....LOL.

So, she will be working for a new company in north Philly and I will be working in Vineland...if I get the job. I am apartment/house hunting via Satellite on Google's.

Thanks for all of your advice everyone!
Head coach

Old 03-20-2010, 11:45 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,287,714 times
LOL at Cherry Hill being "ok" in "the nice areas." Cherry Hill is probably one of the nicest towns in the state (cue someone saying "that's because NJ isn't nice!!!"), and has been named as one of the top places to live in the country.

Other than the traffic, the roads are fine. The potholes are probably just due to the recent storms and temperature changes. Unlike AZ, it does get below 60 degrees in NJ.

House prices in Northern NJ and Southern NJ are like two different worlds. Although they may be older than what you're used to in AZ (and probably still a little more expensive), you can get a pretty good house in Cherry Hill for $400K.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:23 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,826,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I love the cruise nights.
and the pop shop!!

Old 03-20-2010, 02:45 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,529,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crx View Post
Best of Luck
I lived in Cherry Hill for many years.

First off, South Jersey & North Jersey are 2 different worlds. That goes back to colonial times. At one point they were 2 separate colonies.

Most of Cherry Hill has been built up since WWII. I remember when my family moved there in 1964 & there were several working farms not too far from our house. I remember watching them tear down orchards to build housing developments &/or shopping centers over the years.

Of course the roads were in hideous shape. It was a horrible & unusual winter this year. Potholes happen in those rare years. Welcome to 4 seasons. (and yes, it was a lousy winter in NC. . .) I had a blow by blow description of the lousy winter weather in South Jersey from my sister who still lives there as well as friends, & checked KYW-TV's website more than once for weather updates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey