U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2010, 12:03 PM

27 posts, read 36,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Ha try & get a teaching job if you aren't part of NJEA

Actually there are plenty of non union teachers working in public schools.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 12:25 PM

3,858 posts, read 8,052,117 times
Quote:
Ha try & get a teaching job if you aren't part of NJEA
My wife didn't actually become a member of the union until she got her first teaching job. You're free to not join, but you don't get union representation either. You could go through your entire career and not need it. Or you could end up like a friend of hers who was walking to her car after school when she saw two girls pummeling another girl and and filming it. She pulled the two little nutcases off of the girl on the ground and yelled for help. Not two days later the parents of one of the attackers starting crying "brutality" and "lawsuit." Let's just say that incident alone made her dues very worth it.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:57 PM

12,926 posts, read 24,052,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
My wife didn't actually become a member of the union until she got her first teaching job. You're free to not join, but you don't get union representation either. You could go through your entire career and not need it. Or you could end up like a friend of hers who was walking to her car after school when she saw two girls pummeling another girl and and filming it. She pulled the two little nutcases off of the girl on the ground and yelled for help. Not two days later the parents of one of the attackers starting crying "brutality" and "lawsuit." Let's just say that incident alone made her dues very worth it.
I stand corrected as I thought if there was a union in place you had to join, that said I would assume if you are a teacher there are benefits to joining NJEA

Old 03-22-2010, 01:17 PM

3,858 posts, read 8,052,117 times
Quote:
I stand corrected as I thought if there was a union in place you had to join, that said I would assume if you are a teacher there are benefits to joining NJEA
Those types of situations do exist (they're known as "closed shops"), but by law they cannot exist in the public sector. My father worked for UPS until he retired which is a closed shop in that you must become a member of the Teamsters in order to work there as a package driver. They are free to do that because UPS is a private company.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:19 PM

555 posts, read 1,428,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Those types of situations do exist (they're known as "closed shops"), but by law they cannot exist in the public sector. My father worked for UPS until he retired which is a closed shop in that you must become a member of the Teamsters in order to work there as a package driver.
I don't believe you have to join but I believe you may be required to pay the dues regardless... I know when I first moved out here I was working as a cashier at a grocery store during college... that's what they told me... they took my dues even though I opted out of the union.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:32 PM

232 posts, read 231,722 times
It will be laughable when it all affects our kids. Who in the end do you think it hurts. Just when our country is doing so good against other countries. How did we get in this mess.... gov't gov't gov't mispending, greedy bankers and big business. Who gets hurt in the end that is the question.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:11 PM

27 posts, read 36,537 times
you never pay dues if your not in a union I fyou paid and not actually in the union, you were taken.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:02 PM

3,994 posts, read 8,726,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canear View Post
It will be laughable when it all affects our kids. Who in the end do you think it hurts. Just when our country is doing so good against other countries. How did we get in this mess.... gov't gov't gov't mispending, greedy bankers and big business. Who gets hurt in the end that is the question.
How did "greedy bankers and big business" cause any problems on the state level in New Jersey?

The major problem in NJ is taxes (on both businesses and individuals). And that is not a problem that is going to be fixed any time soon. Not when the state is already about 40 billion in the hole (over $3000 per person in this state, including children, retirees, and the welfare crowd)

Old 03-22-2010, 11:22 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,314,539 times
The problem with the NJEA is the plethora of useless positions they advocate that do NOTHING for the children of the state and suck up millions of tax payer dollars for their salleries and pensions.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:58 AM

232 posts, read 231,722 times
I'm all for cuts The cuts in some instances are extensive and to who the middle class. Your rebates are gone. Your kids will lose out with all the school cuts, college students are getting hurt, transportation etc etc. while the rich making $400,000 get a tax cut and actually make more money. While the middle class lose services and lose jobs. Just sounds like more typical NJ gov't. You need the cuts so bad it should be all around everyone needs to.N.J. Gov. 'Wrecking Ball' Christie swings budget ax, misses tax cut for wealthy | NJ.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey