U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 07:55 AM

12,949 posts, read 24,128,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canear View Post
I'm all for cuts The cuts in some instances are extensive and to who the middle class. Your rebates are gone. Your kids will lose out with all the school cuts, college students are getting hurt, transportation etc etc. while the rich making $400,000 get a tax cut and actually make more money. While the middle class lose services and lose jobs. Just sounds like more typical NJ gov't. You need the cuts so bad it should be all around everyone needs to.N.J. Gov. 'Wrecking Ball' Christie swings budget ax, misses tax cut for wealthy | NJ.com
From what I understand and I could be wrong that is not really a tax cut..it was a special tax, in addition to the taxes already paid, that is set to expire and Christie is letting it expire.

Do you really think in all fairness that just because some one makes over $400K a year that in addition to property tax, payroll tax etc they should have to pony up more???

Your link is from the Star Ledger, they can never make up their mind which side of the fence they want to be on...Moran, Mulshine I take their columns with a grain of salt, more personal view then facts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 07:56 AM

2,771 posts, read 5,427,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
My wife didn't actually become a member of the union until she got her first teaching job. You're free to not join, but you don't get union representation either. You could go through your entire career and not need it. Or you could end up like a friend of hers who was walking to her car after school when she saw two girls pummeling another girl and and filming it. She pulled the two little nutcases off of the girl on the ground and yelled for help. Not two days later the parents of one of the attackers starting crying "brutality" and "lawsuit." Let's just say that incident alone made her dues very worth it.
It makes sense to join the union, because they will bat for you when something like this comes up. I don't think anyone can reasonably accuse them of not representing the interests of the workers. It is the state and local governments that can quite reasonably be accused of failing to represent the interests of the tax payer.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:45 AM

7,968 posts, read 16,819,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canear View Post
I'm all for cuts The cuts in some instances are extensive and to who the middle class. Your rebates are gone. Your kids will lose out with all the school cuts, college students are getting hurt, transportation etc etc. while the rich making $400,000 get a tax cut and actually make more money. While the middle class lose services and lose jobs. Just sounds like more typical NJ gov't. You need the cuts so bad it should be all around everyone needs to.N.J. Gov. 'Wrecking Ball' Christie swings budget ax, misses tax cut for wealthy | NJ.com
Jon Corzine, in selling this tax increase last year, labeled it a 'temporary' one. The hard left in New Jersey lapped that one up, and joined in the chorus. However, it is now set to expire, and the now that the Democrat is out of power, they are using their own language against themselves. If Corzine and his movement was sincere, they should have just labeled it as a permanent tax increase.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:51 AM

15,996 posts, read 11,028,949 times
Default NJEA knows people

NJEA ads are playing to the level of students they produced. Fortunately many have overcome their stunted educational experience.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:31 PM

153 posts, read 425,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
The problem with the NJEA is the plethora of useless positions they advocate that do NOTHING for the children of the state and suck up millions of tax payer dollars for their salleries and pensions.
Ironically their support of the status quo means that hundreds (perhaps thousands) of their suburban members will be joining the ranks of the unemployed this year, while the Abbott gravy train continues to roll at full speed in the "chosen" 31 districts.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:26 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,123,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Time for a little reverse psychology - Take a film crew to tape the teachers driving into the school parking lot with their SUV Caddy's. Follow the teacher to their fancy 4 bedroom 2 bath house - tape the outside of the house sans street address (don't need any wackos paying them a visit). Next, run an ad with the tag line - Teachers need a raise to support their lifestyle followed by the clips of the Caddy SUV and fancy 4 bedroom 2 bath, 2 car garage.

Let's see how they'll dig themselves out of that one.

I don't know of any teachers driving SUV Caddys and even if you find a few I think we can agree that vehicle for a teacher is the exception rather than the rule. As far as 4 bedroom 2 bath homes being "fancy" I think you'll find thats the norm today.......isn't that what the American dream is supposed to be......get a good education then a nice house....a family and enjoy life ? Just because they've worked hard and realized the American dream why does that make them a target to be bashed ?

Old 03-23-2010, 08:10 PM

2,936 posts, read 5,063,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
I don't know of any teachers driving SUV Caddys and even if you find a few I think we can agree that vehicle for a teacher is the exception rather than the rule. As far as 4 bedroom 2 bath homes being "fancy" I think you'll find thats the norm today.......isn't that what the American dream is supposed to be......get a good education then a nice house....a family and enjoy life ? Just because they've worked hard and realized the American dream why does that make them a target to be bashed ?
I didn't know the American dream consisted of ripping off your neighors and employers, forcing them to eat dog food for retirement while you eat caviar for yours off the coast in your Bayliner.

As for the 4 bedroom, 2 bath home being the norm - in the 50's, the true "golden" era, the American dream consisted of June Cleaver being home with the Beaver and Wally, while Ward was out earning a living. The home was a 3 bedroom, 1 bath house with one TV, one car garage and a station wagon parked out front.

As for working hard - compared to what? If working hard equals 8 months on, 4 months off, then I'm all for it. Just what will they do if there aren't enough tax dollars to pay them, since every one is out there "working hard".

Old 03-23-2010, 09:24 PM

249 posts, read 658,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
But unfortunately if you want to teach there is no getting around the NJEA, you must join.
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Ha try & get a teaching job if you aren't part of NJEA
You don't have to join NJEA. If you opt out they just won't back you if needed (support, lawyers, whatever)

Getting a teaching job has nothing to do with the union because new teachers don't join the union UNTIL they get a job.

Perhaps these fancy cars in the parking lot also have something to do with the fact that many teachers are married and may have a spouse with a well paying job. One of the teachers in my school is married to a cop that makes a six figure salary. And that's before his overtime. Judging teacher salary by the parking lot is dumb. You don't know what kind of debt people go into to buy fancy things. Some people have to have every name brand item, but then struggle to pay the rent.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:34 PM

607 posts, read 782,176 times
Quote:
I didn't know the American dream consisted of ripping off your neighors and employers, forcing them to eat dog food for retirement while you eat caviar for yours off the coast in your Bayliner.
I know at least 12-15 teachers - none of them come anywhere close to your description

Quote:
As for the 4 bedroom, 2 bath home being the norm - in the 50's, the true "golden" era, the American dream consisted of June Cleaver being home with the Beaver and Wally, while Ward was out earning a living. The home was a 3 bedroom, 1 bath house with one TV, one car garage and a station wagon parked out front.
Tell me how many families today are living this 50-year old "ideal" life? Most are at least 2 income homes. And even your average cape today is a 4 BR/2 Bath - I know, I live in one.

Quote:
As for working hard - compared to what? If working hard equals 8 months on, 4 months off, then I'm all for it. Just what will they do if there aren't enough tax dollars to pay them, since every one is out there "working hard".
Which 4 months are off? And what, exactly, is your definition of working hard? No doubt there are any number of jobs not in the teaching profession that I could cite that fail to meet your criteria.

And BTW - I voted for Christie, and support his efforts - painful thought they will be.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:53 AM

12,949 posts, read 24,128,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccnj View Post
You don't have to join NJEA. If you opt out they just won't back you if needed (support, lawyers, whatever)

Getting a teaching job has nothing to do with the union because new teachers don't join the union UNTIL they get a job.

Perhaps these fancy cars in the parking lot also have something to do with the fact that many teachers are married and may have a spouse with a well paying job. One of the teachers in my school is married to a cop that makes a six figure salary. And that's before his overtime. Judging teacher salary by the parking lot is dumb. You don't know what kind of debt people go into to buy fancy things. Some people have to have every name brand item, but then struggle to pay the rent.
Another poster already enlightened me and explained a "closed union shop" my response was I stand corrected
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey