U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 07:02 AM

2,771 posts, read 5,413,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
I don't know of any teachers driving SUV Caddys and even if you find a few I think we can agree that vehicle for a teacher is the exception rather than the rule. As far as 4 bedroom 2 bath homes being "fancy" I think you'll find thats the norm today.......isn't that what the American dream is supposed to be......get a good education then a nice house....a family and enjoy life ? Just because they've worked hard and realized the American dream why does that make them a target to be bashed ?
I don't think a teacher's salary (50-90k) is going to buy a 4br/2 bath in a good neighborhood. Unless you bought pre-bubble, you need two incomes in that range (preferably towards the top of that range) to get something resembling a middle class lifestyle in NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 07:17 AM

3,858 posts, read 8,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Time for a little reverse psychology - Take a film crew to tape the teachers driving into the school parking lot with their SUV Caddy's.
I'm going home and asking my wife where she's been hiding her SUV Caddy-I'm tired of fixing things (myself, because we can't afford to take it to a shop) on her 10 year old econo-box!

Quote:
Follow the teacher to their fancy 4 bedroom 2 bath house
Once again, somehow I'm on the losing end-only two bedrooms and one bathroom here. And $6000 a year in property taxes to boot!

Quote:
tape the outside of the house sans street address (don't need any wackos paying them a visit).
How do you suppose one would get any mail if that were the case? And if we're so anonymous how come grocery shopping with my wife takes two hours because she stops to chat with students and their parents because we all patronize the same store?

Quote:
2 car garage.
Two car garage!? Where!? I've been wanting one of those for years! Right now the lawn tractor and snow blower are outside under a tarp. I have to say, FrmlyBklyn has really opened my eyes-my wife has been holding out on me! I wonder where she's socking all that cash away?

Old 03-24-2010, 08:32 AM

2,936 posts, read 5,044,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I'm going home and asking my wife where she's been hiding her SUV Caddy-I'm tired of fixing things (myself, because we can't afford to take it to a shop) on her 10 year old econo-box!

Once again, somehow I'm on the losing end-only two bedrooms and one bathroom here. And $6000 a year in property taxes to boot!

How do you suppose one would get any mail if that were the case? And if we're so anonymous how come grocery shopping with my wife takes two hours because she stops to chat with students and their parents because we all patronize the same store?

Two car garage!? Where!? I've been wanting one of those for years! Right now the lawn tractor and snow blower are outside under a tarp. I have to say, FrmlyBklyn has really opened my eyes-my wife has been holding out on me! I wonder where she's socking all that cash away?

I wonder how you did in reading comprehension. While I appreciate the laughs, my idea was based on the previous post where "JohninWestbury" was talking about LI teachers. Thanks again for the laughs - it made my day!

Old 03-24-2010, 08:47 AM

Let me clarify - since a fair number of you think that previous postings are a "let's bash the teacher's rant".

I have nothing against teachers, I've been in the classroom, and baby-sitting 30 screaming kids (elementary and middle, some h.s. as well) is not my idea of an ideal situation. The fact remains, the taxing system in NJ is BROKEN! Property taxes going up 6%+ every year in a "no inflation" economy - something is very very wrong. The local homeowners can not be expected to foot the burden for "free healthcare, free pensions, 25 and out careers. It's unheard of, and union or no union, it's unreasonable for the workers of this state to expect this. How many people do you know received a raise in the last two years. Personally, none, but the teachers in my town have received two consecutive raises in excess of 4% each year. They can easily afford not to take a raise this year - but the proof is in the pudding, they want their raise. Well, when they go to work tomorrow, take a look around, next year, one or some of them aren't going to be there.

As educated professionals, teachers should be willing to come to the table and discuss this. Yet, all we get is stone-walling by your representatives (NJEA). So far, I've seen nothing constructive offered by either the state leadership or local union leadership, the only thing I've heard so far are threats - school quality will go down, little Jimmy and little Amy will not get a good education. Hogwash!

The bottom line is we are all in this together, whether the teachers like it or not. Either we compromise (sometimes marriages are like that) or there will be drastic changes - my town just proposed laying off ten teachers. 1.5% for healthcare is nothing - I pay 25% and no, i'm not in the 400k bracket, not even close.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:04 PM

249 posts, read 656,672 times
Quote:
Let me clarify - since a fair number of you think that previous postings are a "let's bash the teacher's rant".

I have nothing against teachers, I've been in the classroom, and baby-sitting 30 screaming kids (elementary and middle, some h.s. as well) is not my idea of an ideal situation. The fact remains, the taxing system in NJ is BROKEN! Property taxes going up 6%+ every year in a "no inflation" economy - something is very very wrong. The local homeowners can not be expected to foot the burden for "free healthcare, free pensions, 25 and out careers. It's unheard of, and union or no union, it's unreasonable for the workers of this state to expect this. How many people do you know received a raise in the last two years. Personally, none, but the teachers in my town have received two consecutive raises in excess of 4% each year. They can easily afford not to take a raise this year - but the proof is in the pudding, they want their raise. Well, when they go to work tomorrow, take a look around, next year, one or some of them aren't going to be there.

As educated professionals, teachers should be willing to come to the table and discuss this. Yet, all we get is stone-walling by your representatives (NJEA). So far, I've seen nothing constructive offered by either the state leadership or local union leadership, the only thing I've heard so far are threats - school quality will go down, little Jimmy and little Amy will not get a good education. Hogwash!

The bottom line is we are all in this together, whether the teachers like it or not. Either we compromise (sometimes marriages are like that) or there will be drastic changes - my town just proposed laying off ten teachers. 1.5% for healthcare is nothing - I pay 25% and no, i'm not in the 400k bracket, not even close.
Every time someone mentions 4% or whatever % raises teachers are getting, they miss one important fact. When a contract is written and it is reported that 4% is given for a particular year, it does not mean that everyone, or even anyone is getting 4%. The 4% "raise" is 4% that is added to the current pool of money that has to be distributed among all of the steps on the pay scale. On my last contract that meant a 1.2% raise. Yes, any raise is nice during these poor economic times, but it certainly wasn't the percentage that people think it is. That 4% is also not only allocated for teacher salaries. Within our contract there is a pay scale for security guards, custodians and secretaries. Some people end up with larger percentages than others, but I know of no step on the pay scale where people actually got the 4% that everyone loves to report.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccnj View Post
Every time someone mentions 4% or whatever % raises teachers are getting, they miss one important fact. When a contract is written and it is reported that 4% is given for a particular year, it does not mean that everyone, or even anyone is getting 4%. The 4% "raise" is 4% that is added to the current pool of money that has to be distributed among all of the steps on the pay scale. On my last contract that meant a 1.2% raise. Yes, any raise is nice during these poor economic times, but it certainly wasn't the percentage that people think it is. That 4% is also not only allocated for teacher salaries. Within our contract there is a pay scale for security guards, custodians and secretaries. Some people end up with larger percentages than others, but I know of no step on the pay scale where people actually got the 4% that everyone loves to report.
Thanks for expanding on that. Well, I'm waiting for the admins in my town to take a "hit" as well, since not only are they proposing 10 teachers go, they also will let 6 custodians and five secretaries go as well. What I haven't seen is what the admins will be giving up - can't wait for the next school budget meeting.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:54 PM

232 posts, read 231,683 times
I think it is a mess. In one of the towns by me 24 teachers, guidance counselors a vice principal and sports were eliminated. Only to be told that sports can't be eliminated. Sports are more important then education I guess. Parents offered to pay for the sports, offered to drive their kids to school just so the teachers could stay on. 11 more teachers will have to be let go so that sports can be put back. Who is this hurting.... gov't messes up in the past and teachers are getting hurt now. By the way I don't make as much as teachers and I live in a 4 bedroom 2 1/2 bath home on several acres. So you shouldn't judge by the house.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canear View Post
I think it is a mess. In one of the towns by me 24 teachers, guidance counselors a vice principal and sports were eliminated. Only to be told that sports can't be eliminated. Sports are more important then education I guess. Parents offered to pay for the sports, offered to drive their kids to school just so the teachers could stay on. 11 more teachers will have to be let go so that sports can be put back. Who is this hurting.... gov't messes up in the past and teachers are getting hurt now. By the way I don't make as much as teachers and I live in a 4 bedroom 2 1/2 bath home on several acres. So you shouldn't judge by the house.
Keep varsity sports - eliminate all the other extra stuff. School is about academics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey