U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 08:01 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,408,515 times

Advertisements

Hey, Gang!! Here's another one of my endless questions (ducking ) Can anyone tell me If i might find any of the following in Cape May County:

Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Wegman's, Pier 1, Macy's, Pottery Barn, Boscov's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 08:15 PM

16,611 posts, read 14,494,067 times
NO to Pottery Barn, Whole Food and Trader Joe's, the closest ones are in Marlton. NO to Wegman's, closest is Cherry Hill

Macy's is at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing, easy drive up the AC expressway. Boscov's is at Shore Mall in Pleasantville, right off the Parkway. A few Pier One's, Cape May Courthouse, Mays Landing and Somers Point.

The good part: First, more and more stores are coming down here. The year-round population was always too small, but that has changed a lot. Many big stores have opened in Rio Grande in the last couple years and they are still building (I am desperately hoping one day we'll get an IKEA). The Walk in Atlantic City is a great outlet mall of upscale stores. There are also tons of farm markets for fresh produce, even eggs, and many good seafood markets. There are MANY great restaurants that are not chains, hard to find that in Marlton and Cherry Hill!

Thank God, we DO finally have an Apple store, in the Pier at Caesar's!

Old 03-18-2010, 04:17 AM

7,780 posts, read 17,660,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Hey, Gang!! Here's another one of my endless questions (ducking ) Can anyone tell me If i might find any of the following in Cape May County:

Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Wegman's, Pier 1, Macy's, Pottery Barn, Boscov's?

Heres what I would do. Do a search for each of those businesses and their websites will have a store locater link where you put in your zip code and they will give you all the stores nearest to that zip

Old 03-18-2010, 06:22 AM

Thanks, folks. Hmmm...I was rather hoping that Courthouse would have a few of the places I mentioned. I mean...I do see the irony: looking for someplace semi-rural in which to live, but unwilling to drive 40 miles to my favorite places; the modern dilemma. I'm just hoping that the nearby shopping areas are not the "blah" bigbox venues of the Walmart/Target/Kmart variety. I simply don't patronize those places. HATE 'EM. But a BIG thumbs-up on the fresh seafood markets, anyway.

What about a good grocery store or food market (large organic selection, section of fresh prepared foods) in the county. I really can't imagine driving to Atlantic County from Lower or Middle Township).
Thanks so much for your help, OG and Frank.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:12 PM

I have to say, I am not familiar with the supermarkets and health food stores south of OC, because I do most of my food shopping down here. There is an organic grocery store in Northfield called Bonterra that has a good selection, though. I do know about the Whole Foods and Trader Joe's because I've looked into them myself. I sometimes bring a cooler with me when I go to my Mom's in NE Philly, and stop on the way home as they're both on 73!

Frankly, one of the facts of life down here is that you do generally have to drive a lot farther than you would in a more suburban or city area, whether it's to shop or to go to the family birthday parties. I am used to it and don't mind, to me it's worth it. Again 10 months of the year you won't mind, and for 7 or 8 of those months driving is actually a pleasure. One of my guilty pleasures is listening to the morning traffic on the radio as they talk about the stack-ups on 42 and the Turnpike, as I sail south down the Parkway with 3 other cars on the road with me! It makes me feel very smug (although payback is approaching quickly!) It is precisely because all the conveniences (and the jobs they bring) aren't here that it IS a pleasure to drive those 8 months, and that you can still get a decent home on a couple of acres for a comparable song.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 03-18-2010 at 06:21 PM..

Old 03-19-2010, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Frankly, one of the facts of life down here is that you do generally have to drive a lot farther than you would in a more suburban or city area, whether it's to shop or to go to the family birthday parties. I am used to it and don't mind, to me it's worth it. Again 10 months of the year you won't mind, and for 7 or 8 of those months driving is actually a pleasure. One of my guilty pleasures is listening to the morning traffic on the radio as they talk about the stack-ups on 42 and the Turnpike, as I sail south down the Parkway with 3 other cars on the road with me! It makes me feel very smug (although payback is approaching quickly!) It is precisely because all the conveniences (and the jobs they bring) aren't here that it IS a pleasure to drive those 8 months, and that you can still get a decent home on a couple of acres for a comparable song.
Yes, that is indeed the dilemma. I guess I'm beginning to wonder if I'm too old to be a "country girl." I have to take a deep look at my priorities. I'm already terrified of the "septic and well water" concept, more frequent power outages (and no water when that happens) and lack of decent hsopitals/healthcare. BUT when I think of being able to sit outside without the sound of screaming children. being able to sleep without the noise of neighbors' loud parties, to take a short drive to the beach throughout the year, to plant the vegetable garden I've always wanted and (mostly) to have room for the dogs to run like maniacs (and perhaps foster a couple more from local adoption/rescue shelters)...well...then it seems worth giving up many of the conveniences that densely-populated areas have.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:58 AM

Okay, it's not "Green Acres", either, lol. I wouldn't consider myself a country girl! You can always take a ride to Atlantic City and go shopping at Betsy Johnson and BCBG, that'll have you feeling like a city girl again! I didn't lose power during any of the recent storms although I know many, many people did. I usually lose power due to wind in bad storms (it blows so hard sometimes it knocks transformers down to the ground) but I am also right at the ocean, and it's not a frequent occurance. I wouldn't say I lose it more than others? Actually the worst power outage I ever experienced was during an ice storm when I was living in Marlton. I grew up on well water, in Sickerville, NJ, and lived to tell the tale! I don't know that is really a total lack of decent health care. Many of the Philly hospitals have satellites down here (like Rothman Institute), and Atlantic City Medical Center is also good, although you're right in that your choice of hospitals should something happen unexpectedly will be limited to Cape Regional or Shore Memorial. Is there anyway you could "try it on" and rent a place down here for a little while while you still have your home up there?

Old 05-31-2012, 08:22 AM

2 posts, read 2,604 times
Default shopping in South Jersey

South Jersey is a great place to shop..You can also find great deals in NJ AND BEYOND AT South Jersey Daily Deals www.gocheapon.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or