U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 01:07 PM

478 posts, read 1,473,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
ok. you paid 2010 first and second, but you DO NOT HAVE THE RATE for 3rd and 4th! that comes with your NEW tax bill, sometime in July! the calendar is 3rd/4th of this year, and 1st/2nd of next year. FISCAL YEAR.

THE TOWN DOES NOT COLLECT MORE MONEY OVERALL ON A REASSESSMENT! PERIOD!

My 2010 RE tax for the 1st and 2nd quarters is what I paid last year for all four quarters of 2009. Thats double in my book with no improvements on property! Own the house 34 years I can tell the difference...and what happen to make it go double as I posted in #17 post.

Now the 3rd and 4th quarters of 2010 can be same amount as first two quarters,lower or even higher..that I don't know yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 03:40 PM

153 posts, read 419,368 times
Can you scan and post this tax bill with private info redacted? That way we can see what's up.

There are very few instances where revals can cause taxes to double like that - and almost all of them involved waterfront property in a handful of Ocean County towns. I've never heard of this going on in any other part of the state.

Tahiti and Obrero sound right - you got your reval but not your new tax rate.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:18 PM

12,284 posts, read 30,667,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS37 View Post
Can you scan and post this tax bill with private info redacted? That way we can see what's up.

There are very few instances where revals can cause taxes to double like that - and almost all of them involved waterfront property in a handful of Ocean County towns. I've never heard of this going on in any other part of the state.

Tahiti and Obrero sound right - you got your reval but not your new tax rate.
Believe me, we ARE right. We've both been through it, and it's been discussed ad nauseum on this board. He does NOT have his new tax rate - NO TOWN IN NJ DOES YET. This typically does not come out until .... June'ish? School budget votes haven't happened yet, municipal budgets haven't been ratified.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:19 PM

12,284 posts, read 30,667,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo2009 View Post
My 2010 RE tax for the 1st and 2nd quarters is what I paid last year for all four quarters of 2009. Thats double in my book with no improvements on property! Own the house 34 years I can tell the difference...and what happen to make it go double as I posted in #17 post.

Now the 3rd and 4th quarters of 2010 can be same amount as first two quarters,lower or even higher..that I don't know yet.
mind sharing the town?

Old 04-07-2010, 06:03 AM

5,676 posts, read 12,654,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armx View Post
[i]
Going to Delaware is always a wise decision what with no sales tax, looooowwww property taxes and financially, fairly well managed state.
Although property tax is lower in DE (and housing was higher) when we considered that state and used a cost of living calculator, it was actually higher $6K higher than PA. Also in DE it is common that the land is LEASED which adds to your monthly costs.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:10 AM

"Now that the housing bubble has burst, up to 60 percent of the nation's taxable property may be overassessed, meaning owners are paying thousands of dollars more in taxes than they need to, experts say.
That is leading to a flood of appeals in many markets from homeowners eager to cut their taxes and speed the process of aligning tax valuations with reality."

Overtaxed homeowners start to fight system - Real estate- msnbc.com

Old 04-07-2010, 12:41 PM

322 posts, read 458,737 times
Quote:
"Now that the housing bubble has burst, up to 60 percent of the nation's taxable property may be overassessed, meaning owners are paying thousands of dollars more in taxes than they need to, experts say.
That is leading to a flood of appeals in many markets from homeowners eager to cut their taxes and speed the process of aligning tax valuations with reality."

Overtaxed homeowners start to fight system - Real estate- msnbc.com

Anytime you quote cable news carlo, it's a bad scene. These pundits have to make ratings dude, there are no real news people there.

Just listen please, you have local people, in the know, trying to guide you.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:01 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,410,303 times
I guess people that have been underpaying taxes due to long time since the last reasessment are now paying their share and are upset about it. Maybe you should not look at it that your taxes went up 100%, you should look at it as you were only paying 50% of what you should have been paying for the last 20 years. Personally I do not think most towns get any money from the state for their education budget. Makes no sense for the state to collect taxes just to give them back to the towns. If your town wants good schools, make your property taxes cover it, and then have the state cut the tax rate there.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:42 PM

1,287 posts, read 2,420,440 times
Quote:
Well if it false info..why am I paying double the RE tax now?????

I'm not speaking about Harrison Township..only my township..and I do have my 2010 tax bill already and paid for the 2010 first quarter and second quarter.
Because it's based on last year's tax rate. Your tax bill will go down significantly in the second half.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
Because it's based on last year's tax rate. Your tax bill will go down significantly in the second half.

I doubt that very much!

The way they seem to do it..the 1st and 2nd quarters are from a budget agreed on in Dec.2009 for CY 2010 (thats why I know and paid the first two quarters of 2010)..and the 3rd and 4th quarters will be an estimate of the budget of CY 2011 which will be settled on Dec 2010! The FY is July to June all know that..so budgets are final after the last quarters here..my case they were final after 3rd and 4th quarters of 2009 ( 4th quarter due Nov1st) new budget out Dec.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or