Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 05:26 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times

Advertisements

Centraljersey.com | Central Jersey News,Princeton Breaking News Sports, Entertainment, Obits, Homes, Jobs, Cars, Classifieds, Real Estate, Princeton News, Dining,Princeton Dining, The Princeton Packet

I find that outrageous , and disturbing. How can you replace a 145 year old Electric Train shuttle with a Bus. Buses run on Diesel or Bio Fuel but its not always reliable. + the line & Station are Historic. What are you thoughts on this ? It might cost up to 700 million $$ to remove all the tracks and station. Thats more than the 10 operating costs. Even though they say Bus Rapid Transit aka BRT thats basically a bus in sheep's clothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 12:40 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,885,417 times
I agree. Personally, as a person who's been meaning to visit Princeton to go the record store, I'm planning on taking the train, but not a bus. I hate taking buses.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:54 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,052,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Centraljersey.com | Central Jersey News,Princeton Breaking News Sports, Entertainment, Obits, Homes, Jobs, Cars, Classifieds, Real Estate, Princeton News, Dining,Princeton Dining, The Princeton Packet

I find that outrageous , and disturbing. How can you replace a 145 year old Electric Train shuttle with a Bus. Buses run on Diesel or Bio Fuel but its not always reliable. + the line & Station are Historic. What are you thoughts on this ? It might cost up to 700 million $$ to remove all the tracks and station. Thats more than the 10 operating costs. Even though they say Bus Rapid Transit aka BRT thats basically a bus in sheep's clothing.
I agree! They've been talking about this since '05 Study proposes Dinky changes - The Daily Princetonian

1500 riders a day back then, I would imagine that number has increased with the new Free B jitney that transports commuters from Princeton Boro to the dinky station during the rush hours.

There is a lot of opposition to the BRT, so hopefully they will keep the Dinky.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:34 PM

I think it would be a waste of money to do BRT

plus buses are never as roomy, spacious, or east to stand on when overcrowded as trains

Old 03-17-2010, 04:41 PM

And the dinky is electric how can you compete with that. Even if the bus is electric it runs on a battery and needs to be recharged unlike the dinky. And the line itself is historic , i don't even know how they can even plan to do this? And @ 700 million $$$? What a waste , you could build a streetcar system with that in Princeton & add 2 more light Rail extensions.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:03 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
If someone has the time, they may be able to come up with the name of the show that was on the Travel Channel a few weeks ago that touched on this type of topic. Decades ago, commuter trains were taken out of commission and replaced by commuter buses in several U.S. cities, and it was found that the oil and gas companies had "invested" slowly over time in the train companies, bought them out basically, then shut them down to replace them with diesel buses. This sounds like a smaller scale "plan". It would be interesting to know who owns the stocks for this dinky train now.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:41 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,773,597 times
I think they should keep the dinky, but charge the $15 each way that it costs to operate. It is too important to get rid of, and all the people that are really upset will be more than willing to pay what it actually costs.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
I think they should keep the dinky, but charge the $15 each way that it costs to operate. It is too important to get rid of, and all the people that are really upset will be more than willing to pay what it actually costs.
15$ each way? Its only 8miles , that doesn't make any sense , maybe 4.00$.

atlantagreg30127 : I guess people haven't learned form 20th century mistakes yet Its a Bus in sheep's clothing

Old 03-18-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post

It's costs less than that to go from Trenton to NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey