Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 09:11 AM
E77 E77 started this thread

22 posts, read 56,819 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have made past threads of my situation but on this thread I am going to be much more specific and detailed since I am in need of having some answers and making a decision soon.

I used to live in the south and have moved back to NJ and have started looking for some places to rent a home in and relocate my family which include two children that are in middle school and high school.
My complication and situation is that i dont want to go to any place and have my kids go to bad schools and I have to also look for a place that is not very distant to my jobs. I work in Newark, NJ and I also work in Mahwah, NJ.

I am and have been looking to see what areas I could relocate to with my family that could be either near those areas or near the middle. If it would be in the middle it would have to be near route 21 to get to my full time job in Mahwah, NJ.

These are some things i am looking for in the area. And would appreciate some recomendations since I am desperate in looking for a place due to how my family are coming to NJ very soon and my kids need to return to school here in NJ.

1. Good schools with good people from the area.
2.Good area/Good location community
3. somewhat close to Transportation (and transportation to NYC when needed)
4.area that is not too too expensive meaning cost of living
5.Area that rent and/or homes are very expensive to purchase for the future once I am ready to purchase a home(nothing over $380,000 for a single home that is not worth it)
6.Where taxes are okay ranging from $4,000-$5,500(So that I can know what area to look for once I am ready to purchase a home in the future even though every home does range in taxes in every community.)

A couple of places I have been thinking of...(near newark but in a good area i have hear of )nutley, belleville, bloomfield and near the middle (garfield, hackensack, teaneck, etc)

Thank you very much for the help, I truly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 10:10 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,523,666 times
I'd add Maplewood to the list. You'd have the mid town direct right in town. I wasn't sure if it would work within your budget so I doubled checked. Your taxes would be pretty high though.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:36 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,005,152 times
If you're looking specifically for a house - it would be extremely hard, if not down right impossible to find one in Nutley, Belleville, Bloomfield, Clifton, Hackensack or Teaneck with taxes of $4,000 - $5,000. You might find a condo or a co-op, but then you would be subject to maintenance fees.

Just for a point of reference, average taxes in Nutley are around $8500 and up. Bloomfield and Belleville are around the same, with Clfton not far behind it.
Maplewood is just outrageous with their taxes, much like Montclair.

I'd say average taxes are probably around $8,000 in most of Northern NJ.
Have you tried North Arlington or Lyndhurst? - Not directly on rte. 21, but not far from it either.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:01 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
i think you are going to need to budge here somewhere. either in cost/taxes or location. 8500 taxes sounds high for 380k house but maybe not? i would have thought in the mid 6000s.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:27 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
Very challenging constraints; would otherwise suggest Rutherford.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:51 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,005,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
i think you are going to need to budge here somewhere. either in cost/taxes or location. 8500 taxes sounds high for 380k house but maybe not? i would have thought in the mid 6000s.
Not even close - gsmls.com, houses that are distressed selling in the low 300's have taxes of 7,500 and up. A property tax of 6,000 would mean a commute of at least 1 1/2 hours from rte. 21. Going west of 21 would put you out near rte 23 - try getting onto 46 or 3, now you're talking some real travel time.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:04 AM

2 posts, read 3,825 times
Looking to work in Mahwah NJ but want to live in PA and the closest commute to Jersey...any ideas on towns, I do not care if they are large or small in PA. Thank you

Old 05-03-2010, 09:45 AM

381 posts, read 1,309,153 times
As one who's also been looking all over, I'd agree that Lyndhurst seems like a decent fit. It's more affordable than many of the towns in this area and has very good transportation to NYC. I walked around there recently and thought it looked pretty liveable. There's a great Italian deli called Lentina's.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:50 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holtlb13 View Post
Looking to work in Mahwah NJ but want to live in PA and the closest commute to Jersey...any ideas on towns, I do not care if they are large or small in PA. Thank you
Whats wrong with living in NJ , the closet PA town is 1-2 hrs away depending on the weather , traffic ,and day. You could live in cheaper Urban Jersey & Use NJT Trains to commute North to Mahwah.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:30 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holtlb13 View Post
You should start a new thread with a question like this, but since you're here, I'm thinking many parts of Upstate NY are extremely closer than PA to Mahwah. Don't know what the NY prices are like, say in Rockland County or elsewhere, but that is 15-30 minutes vs hours on the road each day to/from PA. Taxes might be cheaper to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey