Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 09:14 PM

6 posts, read 21,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I was raised in Nutley and moved away about 15 years ago. As with all towns, it has changed considerably. Property taxes are outrageous (as all Essex county taxes). My opinion on Cambridge Heights is the construction is poor and last I heard the taxes were $11K.

You might consider Whippany or Cedar Knolls. There is adequate transportation from NYC (approx. 50 minutes by bus) with park and ride lots available. Whippany schools are excellent and up to date. Townhouses you might want to look into: Oakridge/Eden Lane.
Cambridge Heights in Nutley is a beautiful place to live. I purchased in Cambridge heights 7 years ago. Taxes vary depending on the model you purchase. (Nutley tax rate is 2.05). There is a club house with a fitness center, pool and tennis courts. I never had a problem with the construction of my home.
Both of my children went through the Nutley school system K-12. I believe the Nutley school system prepared them for college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 05:21 AM

196 posts, read 766,703 times
Try Pequannock or (Wayne possibly the lionshead Lake section) You have a chance to find something in your price range. The school system in Wayne is excellent. Good Luck

Old 08-20-2007, 12:32 PM

10 posts, read 39,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
lorib - i found your post very interesting. from what I know, nutley is very much a "lifer" place - you're born there, and more likely than not, you remain there after HS/College. I have a friend who married a "lifer" and now lives there - she grew up in Passaic/Sussex counties. She, maybe because of her "outsiders" view, has a very different perspective on Nutley.

She finds the schools adequate at best - they are old and in desparate need of repairs (remember the ceiling collapse last summer? Thank God school was not in session at that time.). parents seem to be ok with the "status quo" and are not ready to adopt different things. It seems there is new astroturf being laid on the HS field while the school infrastructure is crumbing. To be fair, the field is funded by a grant, but you KWIM. Kids still go home at lunchtime (this *may* have changed), there doesn't seem to be much regard for families with 2 working parents. Technology has not caught on there - you can't email teachers, websites are woefully behind. There are no G&T programs and now they are going to be accepting students from other towns b/c they got a grant for an autism program - this when the schools are overcrowded - you've got some special classes being held in broom closets. All this after the reassessment last year - taxes in some cases doubled! From her perspective it seems people are resistant to change, and it's coming from those how have a long history there. If she had her way she'd move to another town, in addition to the school issues she sees, she just finds it a someone difficult place to be in, since she's 1) not originally from there, and 2) not Italian and 3) not Catholic.

I think it's a very cute town though.

Would be interested in your comments!
I'm a transplanted New Yorker. My family and I have resided in Nutley for 6 years. (At Cambridge Heights). Our community itself is very well managed with excellent ammenities and much more open space that is typical of townhome complexes in Northern NJ. It's a great place to be for young families.
For stay at home moms, and there are quite a few, there is a very active "Mommy & Me Club". Our community also has a fair proportion of empty-nesters and retirees as well as young NYC professionals and some families of Non-European ethnicities. Overall it's more diverse than the rest of the town. The Association's Board of Directors are a very "hands-on", saavy and dedidcated team.

I'd like to dispel the rumors that Cambridge Heights was shoddily constructed. Of 600 homes in the complex, less than 10% have required expenditure from the association for repairs. I've never had a problem.

The property tax re-asessments were completed some months ago and our taxes increased 7% and is now aprox. $11,000. For a 2,000 sq.ft. townhouse. .... not cheap ! I understand that many other Nutley homes outside of Cambride Heights were asessed at even higher rates because the last time a complete re-asessment was conducted was in 1974.

I agree with the writer who commented that the public schools on average are adequate at best. In 2006 NJ Monthly magazine rated the elementary schools from 8 to 9 (on a scale of 1 to 10) but the middle and high school were rated 7. There appears to be an ongoing effort to physically upgrade the schools. But I must share with you the Star Ledgers report just last week which pointed out that the middle and high school for the second year in a row has failed to meet the (controversial) Federal standards of the "No Child Left Behind" Act. So I do agree that the town has quite a way to go the improve both the middle and high school.

Ny commute to NYC is good, although you're likely to experience traffic delays if you catch the buses that stop along the perimeter of the complex between 7:45 am to 8:30 am. However you can catch the express bus on the other-side of Clifton Commons Shopping Center at Rte 3 save 20 minutes. Thre is a train station a few minutes away, (Delawana Station) but I'm not sure of the schedule and I think it goes only to Hoboken where you may have to transfer for NYC mid-town trains.

Nutley overall, - Quaint, safe town with good NYC commute. Not so great schools given the property tax rate.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:37 PM
lfj

1 posts, read 4,457 times
My husband and I are considering moving from Manhattan to Nutley (Cambridge Heights specifically), but I'm really concerned about the commute. I don't want more than an hour door-to-door to my job in Manhattan (West Side). Does anyone know if that's feasible from there on a regular basis? If it's not, is there anywhere in NJ besides Hoboken or Jersey City where it would be feasible?

Old 02-11-2008, 08:06 AM
sin

1 posts, read 4,145 times
we have 4.5 year ols son,
we are searching home to buy, we went to the cambridge crossing complex townhouse
in clifton. But we do not no anything about the school system in clifton new jersey.
I need help before desicion
school is very very important
thank
sin

Old 02-12-2008, 07:37 PM

110 posts, read 547,643 times
Nutley is mostly Italian -American. But if I'm correct, isn't there a Jewish synagogue in the Brookdale section Bloomfield? It's not far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey