U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 11:10 PM

173 posts, read 529,723 times

Advertisements

“In these difficult economic times, we cannot afford to overlook savings that can be achieved through reductions in administrative and non-educational spending," Christie said. "The Executive County Superintendents, in cooperation with Commissioner Schundler, will be working with school districts to achieve savings in those areas first."

Here's a quote from him. So he did say it but most of the media just want to pick up the tibit that he's picking on the teachers. So far, he hasn't done much wrong yet in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 03:33 AM

5,074 posts, read 7,089,836 times
From what I know about his ideologies, my opinion is that he is trying to force towns into shared services/regionalizing. I think it's a great idea, personally. There's no way there are two/three towns under 2 sq miles each and within 3 miles of each other that need their own individual superintendents of schools, their own 911 dispatchers and school administrations. You could save a boat load of money combining these things. The little towns just don't want to give up their control (again, my opinion). There are much larger towns with one superintendent and administration that do just fine with their schools...

Old 03-25-2010, 12:44 PM

15,000 posts, read 12,721,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va-jc View Post
“In these difficult economic times, we cannot afford to overlook savings that can be achieved through reductions in administrative and non-educational spending," Christie said. "The Executive County Superintendents, in cooperation with Commissioner Schundler, will be working with school districts to achieve savings in those areas first."

Here's a quote from him. So he did say it but most of the media just want to pick up the tibit that he's picking on the teachers. So far, he hasn't done much wrong yet in my opinion.
Not only that, but I believe the school districts decide what to cut.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:52 PM

2,936 posts, read 4,943,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Not only that, but I believe the school districts decide what to cut.
Yep, right now the local school district is looking to cut special ed over athletics. What a sense of misplaced priorities.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:22 PM

15,000 posts, read 12,721,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Yep, right now the local school district is looking to cut special ed over athletics. What a sense of misplaced priorities.
I would hope this isn't true.

As for athletics, I've heard rumors that the town of Sparta is planning on cutting their entire athletic department. Not sure if this is true though. Vernon is supposedly cutting Freshmen sports and golf.

Many teacher aids are either getting the ax, or cut to part time. Part time = no benefits.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:42 PM

1,907 posts, read 2,828,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va-jc View Post

What he said and what has been done are two different things. I have looked at all of the "budget" cuts released and not one has included anything that mentions upper level management cuts. Went to my own schoool board and asked questions and they said that legally they cant talk about it. Honestly its a joke.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:43 PM

1,907 posts, read 2,828,896 times
How about we start right with these guys whoever they are. "The Executive County Superintendents" a big joke this all is.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:50 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,042,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The Gladstone line is mostly used by the Rich and Middle Class , as well the Morris & Essex lines , the Sparta line & Raritan Valley Ext. were also going to serve a big chunk of the Rich and Middle Class. When's the last time you were on the train? Its mostly used by College Students , Business men & women , Elderly people and people who just want to go into the city w/o the stress of traffic.

Well Paramus has a tough Blue Law , but its not like the whole county still does. My town has restricted hours , some towns have it restricted to certain store types like a bookstore or pet store. Unless The Railway & Bus Networks are improved in my county (they are very bad and lack connections) then the blue laws should be touched on the county scale. + you can easily go shop in neighboring Passaic & Hudson Counties which are less expensive due to the UEZ.
I don't want to turn this into a debate about the (silly, in my opinion) blue laws, but it's funny how you can attack Christie for not being "progressive" and then come out so strongly to defend an ordinance rooted in the influence of organized religion.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:52 AM

12,381 posts, read 22,205,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
I don't want to turn this into a debate about the (silly, in my opinion) blue laws, but it's funny how you can attack Christie for not being "progressive" and then come out so strongly to defend an ordinance rooted in the influence of organized religion.
1# Because the roads and highways are maxed out everyday and Sunday is one day without these issues. I have no problem with small stores being open (on main street ,off the highways) but those big malls need to stay closed. And its not his business to tell us how to run our county, i don't care that it will bring extra money in. It will bring the rest of the weeks stress , and that will drive me & others out of the state.

On a side note the growing movement against 25% fare increases is growing , and its coming form Middle Class & City Folk like me , this will hurt alot of New Jerseyites. They Need to raise the gas tax , Christie is also lying , as this guy has pointed out. To those of you on this forum , i'm normally against raising taxes , but even if we don't bailout NJT , we need to fund the Transportation Trust Fund , if we don't and that runs out we will be in serious trouble. If a bridge collapses and its not on a major road , it won't be replaced right away. If the town's traffic light breaks , the town will have to raise there taxes to buy a new one. No new Rail Projects , No lighting , nothing unless we fund it somehow. I know it sounds like a terrible idea but , i'm thinking ahead 2, or 5 or 10 years down the road. Christie notes in that video and the guy attacks Christie on it , is the fact that NJ drivers are getting pinched by the 3 Tollways in the state , that is such a lie , the Toll Roads in NJ are used by about 40% of the state daily, and 70% weekly , People in Northwestern , Western , Central (I-195) , I-80 , I-78 get off scotch free. I-80 needs to get tolled East of Dover , its used by 170,000 people daily and its getting very costly to maintain it. The Electronic Tolling can pay for the maintenance & Further upgrades to the road , I-195 can also pay for itself , its a shortcut across the state and is heavily used during the spring-fall seasons. The I-78 Express lanes should be Electronic Tolled, seeing how traffic is getting worse and worse people wouldn't mind paying a fee to go faster. All these Tolls , will allow NJ too focus on neglected highways and bridges around the state. I'm saying that these new tolls should go to NJT , because i do see NJT paying itself off eventually. I do see Property taxes going down during this decade , do see alot of Urban Renewal Happening , but the Future of how we pay for our infastrature is gray and we need to fix that. Or face some harsh problems in the near future. I'm also still shocked that with all these cuts Christie hasn't squeezed the pork form the top. If he did we would only have to see about a 5% fare increase to pay off some new Equipment which actually got discounted. I know you guys won't agree with my , but theres a growing movement that will.

YouTube - Chris Christie admits targeting NJ Transit riders while sparing motorists!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey