Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 12:06 PM

13,374 posts, read 28,622,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
I may be wrong, but I was under the assumption that all he was doing was freezing or reducing the amount of state aid given to the municipalities. Then, its up to them to deal with the loss of that money. If they fire teachers, thats the municipalities fault, not Christies. Im sure there are MANY more ways they can cope with a smaller budget without having to fire teachers. They just dont want to.
Ding Ding Ding !!!! Exactly!!! How each town deals with the cuts Christie has no say in. I've read where some have stepped up to the plate asking for wage freeze etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 12:21 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,771,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
The rich don't ride NJ Transit they have chauffers!!

As far as the blue laws that should be up to the majority in Bergen County as to have it or not. I think he is looking at all the lost tax revenue but still it should be up to bergen County
The Gladstone line is mostly used by the Rich and Middle Class , as well the Morris & Essex lines , the Sparta line & Raritan Valley Ext. were also going to serve a big chunk of the Rich and Middle Class. When's the last time you were on the train? Its mostly used by College Students , Business men & women , Elderly people and people who just want to go into the city w/o the stress of traffic.

Well Paramus has a tough Blue Law , but its not like the whole county still does. My town has restricted hours , some towns have it restricted to certain store types like a bookstore or pet store. Unless The Railway & Bus Networks are improved in my county (they are very bad and lack connections) then the blue laws should be touched on the county scale. + you can easily go shop in neighboring Passaic & Hudson Counties which are less expensive due to the UEZ.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:28 PM

13,374 posts, read 28,622,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The Gladstone line is mostly used by the Rich and Middle Class , as well the Morris & Essex lines , the Sparta line & Raritan Valley Ext. were also going to serve a big chunk of the Rich and Middle Class. When's the last time you were on the train? Its mostly used by College Students , Business men & women , Elderly people and people who just want to go into the city w/o the stress of traffic.

Well Paramus has a tough Blue Law , but its not like the whole county still does. My town has restricted hours , some towns have it restricted to certain store types like a bookstore or pet store. Unless The Railway & Bus Networks are improved in my county (they are very bad and lack connections) then the blue laws should be touched on the county scale. + you can easily go shop in neighboring Passaic & Hudson Counties which are less expensive due to the UEZ.
Nexis....we must define "Rich" in different terms...lol. I've once in a blue moon used the Morris line into NYC and I am by no means rich....truth be told it takes way to long to get to NYC from Dover NJ on the train unless they've changed something in the last 20 years, that's about the last time I took one

Old 03-24-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Nexis....we must define "Rich" in different terms...lol. I've once in a blue moon used the Morris line into NYC and I am by no means rich....truth be told it takes way to long to get to NYC from Dover NJ on the train unless they've changed something in the last 20 years, that's about the last time I took one
Alot has changed , they added Kearny JCT http://wikimapia.org/1600577/Kearny-Junction so trains can go to NYC faster back in 1999 , so now it takes on an express train about 45mins. Alot of Rich along the Gladstone use the Park & ride lots. They also have overhauled the system 6x in past 20 years , trains now go an average of 60-90mph on local and up to 125mph on Express trains.

Last edited by DarkWolf; 03-24-2010 at 12:59 PM..

Old 03-24-2010, 07:42 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,698,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Its nice to see someone play the role of a tough guy. My problem is while I agree changes need to be made in the public funding of education, cutting some teachers is really not the solution. While I am sure we can lose a certain % of teachers, why hasnt Christie come out against upper administration? I have seen him rail and rail against the NJEA and teachers yet he seems very very quite about Supers,Asst Super,Special Projects,Curriculum Heads,Dept Heads. What gives??? I am sure you all know that most of these people are making upwards of 150k in districts all around the state. So I assume the easy thing to do is cut the teachers making 40k who spends all of her day in the classroom. While leaving the big wigs in place, pretty much doing nothing. How do we get this message to Christie, or does he even care? So is the tough guy really solving problems or just playing typical politics?

Because that is where the money is. As a percentage of the money spent on education administrator salaries are a drop in the bucket compared to the rank and file. People have to stop pointing at everbody else and saying why not them. We have to cut spending in a big way and we have to do it now. Do you think administrators are favored by Christie? Why would he favor them? Makes not sense.

This remonds me of the mass transit fare increase arguments in this forum. The people who took advantage of mass transit thought it was a much better idea to raise gas taxes.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:58 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,404,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Because that is where the money is. As a percentage of the money spent on education administrator salaries are a drop in the bucket compared to the rank and file. People have to stop pointing at everbody else and saying why not them. We have to cut spending in a big way and we have to do it now. Do you think administrators are favored by Christie? Why would he favor them? Makes not sense.

This remonds me of the mass transit fare increase arguments in this forum. The people who took advantage of mass transit thought it was a much better idea to raise gas taxes.
You just cant cut a teacher just to save money. You need to have teachers to educate children and not have 50 in a classroom. Cutting dept heads and all of the nonsense makes sense because they dont deal with children. They sit in offices and hide and make dumb decision after dumb decision. Each district in the state has anywhere from 15 to 20 higher ups making 150k a year and they dont deal with one child. Multiply that by all of the districts in the state and you call that a drop in the bucket? 533 X 17 higher ups is a huge number. I am not talking about principles or asst.

Last edited by knoxgarden; 03-24-2010 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: removed personal comments

Old 03-24-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
You just cant cut a teacher just to save money. You need to have teachers to educate children and not have 50 in a classroom. Cutting dept heads and all of the nonsense makes sense because they dont deal with children. They sit in offices and hide and make dumb decision after dumb decision. Each district in the state has anywhere from 15 to 20 higher ups making 150k a year and they dont deal with one child. Multiply that by all of the districts in the state and you call that a drop in the bucket? 533 X 17 higher ups is a huge number. I am not talking about principles or asst.

Who said cut teachers? I think cutting salaries or freezing wages at the very least is the way to go. I make no assumptions about teachers and how hard they work.There are far more teachers than administrators and the combined salaries of teachers are far greater than that of administrators. I don't suggest that fat does not need to be trimmed at all levels but lets start where we can acheive the greatest savings.

Last edited by knoxgarden; 03-24-2010 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: removed personal comments from quoted material and reply

Old 03-24-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post

I don't know anything the teachers union , but i do know about alot about infastrature and how it works , and Mass Transit. Do a little research and try understand a little more , its very complex. But as a Rail & Transit buff i don't like people saying things that aren't true or have no merit. The Gas will have to raised later this year to fund the Transportation Trust fund , which allows the state to build new Rail lines , Highways , Roads , New Traffic Lights , etc unless you want the tolls to go up a ton. The Gas Tax hasn't been raised since 1988 don't you think its about time? Other states have raised it over time , and when they raise it ,i'm sure they'll lower something else.

Last edited by knoxgarden; 03-24-2010 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: removed personal comments

Old 03-24-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I don't know anything the teachers union , but i do know about alot about infastrature and how it works , and Mass Transit. Do a little research and try understand a little more , its very complex. But as a Rail & Transit buff i don't like people saying things that aren't true or have no merit. The Gas will have to raised later this year to fund the Transportation Trust fund , which allows the state to build new Rail lines , Highways , Roads , New Traffic Lights , etc unless you want the tolls to go up a ton. The Gas Tax hasn't been raised since 1988 don't you think its about time? Other states have raised it over time , and when they raise it ,i'm sure they'll lower something else.
Ay caramba, see what I mean. We subsidize mass transit to the tune of $200 million and when we attempt to trim a little of the subsidy you get the sydrome of have the other guy pay for it. We will get nowhere with cutting the $2 trillon deficit with this type of thinking.

Last edited by knoxgarden; 03-24-2010 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: removed attack from quoted material

Old 03-24-2010, 08:31 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,637,493 times
TOS is very specific: "We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility."
Posts will no longer be edited to remove such material; posts will be deleted and infractions issued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey