Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 05:45 AM

4 posts, read 10,175 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am moving with my wife and 2 toddlers to NJ area in the first week of Aug. I am totally sort of lost as i am moving in from Asia, but want to live in an all American community to benefit from the cultural experience. We have visited New York lots of times before (where i will be working), but we don't want to raise children in the metro areas or urban areas.

Can someone please advise some good areas in the Middlesex County, NJ that to raise a family that is not too expensive on the rentals, yet has a lot of good schools and open areas and most importantly low crime rate and easy access to public transportation and malls within driving range. Someone pointed me to Milltown in Middlesex NJ, i would like to get some more ideas from this forum if possible.
thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 06:48 AM

237 posts, read 1,110,590 times
Since you indicated Middlesex County is of interest, I suggest researching South Brunswick. It has highly rated schools, lots of Open Space (especially in the southern areas of the County), as well as access to a good highway network and the Northeast Corridor train line of NJ Transit.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:08 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,953,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfella View Post
Hi, I am moving with my wife and 2 toddlers to NJ area in the first week of Aug. I am totally sort of lost as i am moving in from Asia, but want to live in an all American community to benefit from the cultural experience. We have visited New York lots of times before (where i will be working), but we don't want to raise children in the metro areas or urban areas.

Can someone please advise some good areas in the Middlesex County, NJ that to raise a family that is not too expensive on the rentals, yet has a lot of good schools and open areas and most importantly low crime rate and easy access to public transportation and malls within driving range. Someone pointed me to Milltown in Middlesex NJ, i would like to get some more ideas from this forum if possible.
thanks !
Try Plainsboro. Plainsboro has tons of rentals and is actually quite walkable now. Good luck with your move.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:49 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORMGLO View Post
Since you indicated Middlesex County is of interest, I suggest researching South Brunswick. It has highly rated schools, lots of Open Space (especially in the southern areas of the County), as well as access to a good highway network and the Northeast Corridor train line of NJ Transit.
Not a bad suggestion. Just a couple of things against it:

The commute to Manhattan is over an hour each way, which might impact the OP.
The OP wanted a specifically "All-American" experience (as much as that is possible in NJ). South Brunswick is probably 35-40% South Asian now (mostly new immigrants). Not that it is a bad thing, but if he or she wants an American cultural experience, a town with such a large group of new arrivals might not offer that.

Course, if he or she loves a good curry........

Old 06-27-2009, 11:15 AM

1,289 posts, read 6,096,399 times
Hands down the best schools in Middlesex County are in East Brunswick and South Brunswick. Edison and Metuchen have good schools as well. Between these four towns, I think you should be able to find a rental to meet your needs. What is your price range? If we know that we will probably be more helpful.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 06-27-2009, 05:32 PM

5 posts, read 9,821 times
Arrow Try Mercerville - Hamilton near Princeton NJ

I am Realtor and I service the whole state of NJ and I grew up in Hamilton - Mercerville, NJ area.

It is family friendly small town. Nice homes and a pike ride to the train station. Takes about 45 min. or less to get to NY from there.

Close to 195/295 NJ shore area and Phila. and right down the road from Princeton NJ. Mercer County Community College and so on.

Here some history facts about Hamilton - Mercerville NJ

Originally called "Sandtown," Mercerville is named after General Hugh Mercer who died on January 12, 1777 due to wounds incurred at the Battle of Princeton. Hamilton Square was named after Alexander Hamilton in a wave of anti-British feeling at the time of the War of 1812. It previously had been called Nottingham after the British town.

There are a number of historical markers in Mercerville, many detailing the path of the Continental Army under the command of George Washington through the area during the American Revolutionary War, especially related to the night march from the Second Battle of Trenton to the Battle of Princeton.

If you locate Quakerbridge Rd. in Mercerville, NJ you will see the big tree in the middle of the road that George Washington slept under.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:57 PM

30 posts, read 108,384 times
If you want a nice community with a real "downtown," good schools, low crime rate, and a convenient train station, Metuchen is your best choice. Of course, I'm biased, as I've lived there for 16 years, but we still love it and have raised our 15-year old son here and he's still friends with the kids from the local day care and we're still good friends with most of the parents of the kids from that day care (which is conveniently across the street from us). You don't get that kind of stability in most towns. It is 10-20% more expensive for real estate than Edison and other surrounding towns and taxes are higher (we pay $13K), but it's worth it.

Also, almost anywhere in town is a 10-15 minute, or less, walk to the train station, which is also downtown, where there are lots of nice downscale and upscale restaurants. The commute on the train, which is on the NEC line (so no transfers required), is 45-55 minutes, depending on the number of stops. As an aside, the poster from Hamilton has flawed info: trains from there to NYC are 65-75 minutes each way (not 45 minutes; see the link) - Hamilton is a nice town, though. Metuchen is also less than 5 minutes from the Turnpike, the Parkway, 287, 1 and 9, so it's easy to commute from Metuchen to almost anywhere by car (even NYC - if you leave before 6:30 am, it's only a 30-40 minute commute; evenings are tougher). And the closest Jersey Shore points are only 30-40 minutes away, right down the Parkway. Plus, it's only 10 minutes from New Brunswick and all that NB/Rutgers has to offer (great restaurants and bars, great theater/music/art galleries, and now even a pretty good football team).

New Jersey Transit

Old 06-29-2009, 06:11 AM

4 posts, read 10,175 times
Thank you for the suggestions and i will definitely check out Hamilton and Metuchen.
@ru848, i really liked the way your kid (grown up by now i am sure) is still friends with his day care buddies after all these years and that the type of bonding and community we were brought up in and would like our children also to follow the same values.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:25 PM

13 posts, read 58,721 times
If you are intersted in Union County (where I am from) I would be glad to give you some suggestions. Let me know

Old 07-03-2009, 07:53 AM

136 posts, read 723,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeswapit View Post
I am Realtor and I service the whole state of NJ and I grew up in Hamilton - Mercerville, NJ area.

Takes about 45 min. or less to get to NY from there.
If you gre up in Hamilton, you'd know that you have a better chance of winning the MegaMillions than getting to Manhattan in 45 minutes.
No chance. Not ever.

Stop trying to spread these falsehoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey