U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 05:10 AM

1,907 posts, read 2,828,896 times

Advertisements

Why would they agree to pay freezes when cops and firefighters who are both higher paid then teachers are doing nothing at all in terms of pay freezes? Once they agree to pay freezes the NJEA would have no choice but to agree. You cant pick and choose who gets cut and expect a union to fall in line. Freeze all state and municipal workers and then the NJEA would look silly if they didnt agree. Until then lets not act as if this isnt a vendetta against teachers.
Please dont tell me cops have a tougher job. Those cops in those great NJ suburban towns have the greatest gigs on earth. I would actually be for freezing suburban cops pay and raising the salaries of those who work in urban cities.
Pay freezes for everyone solves the problem, until then kuddos to the NJEA for holding firm.
I guess Christie thinks a cop in Edison or Cranford is justified making 150 to 200k? Nuts.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:48 AM

12,807 posts, read 23,579,484 times
Yes kudos to them as many of their co workers get the ax due to their selfishness

Old 03-24-2010, 06:40 AM

2,936 posts, read 4,943,585 times
Yes, I second that, kudos's while 9 unfortunate souls in my town get the AX!
Thanks for your $700, have a nice life!

Old 03-24-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Why would they agree to pay freezes when cops and firefighters who are both higher paid then teachers are doing nothing at all in terms of pay freezes? Once they agree to pay freezes the NJEA would have no choice but to agree. You cant pick and choose who gets cut and expect a union to fall in line. Freeze all state and municipal workers and then the NJEA would look silly if they didnt agree. Until then lets not act as if this isnt a vendetta against teachers.
Please dont tell me cops have a tougher job. Those cops in those great NJ suburban towns have the greatest gigs on earth. I would actually be for freezing suburban cops pay and raising the salaries of those who work in urban cities.
Pay freezes for everyone solves the problem, until then kuddos to the NJEA for holding firm.
I guess Christie thinks a cop in Edison or Cranford is justified making 150 to 200k? Nuts.
Oh and by the way..your reference to cops & firefighters...that blue line for the most part is different they tend to look out for each other.
You say in one breath..let's not pick on the teachers and then in the next you slam the cops.
You actually have no idea if any police or fire salaries have been frozen or not
the bottom line is the NJEA is a big bully who should have been smacked back decades ago.
When the president of NJEA's solution is to not let the SURCHARGE tax expire on people who make over $400K, they have lost all credence. She does not want to make concessions her solution is to keep a SURCHARGE tax on these people who by the way ALREADY pay taxes:

First article on the web site....I have TWO words for her and it isn't Merry Christmas....and no I make no where near $400K

We are dismayed at this governor’s priorities and tactics. He has rejected out of hand the possibility of extending a surtax on the state’s wealthiest residents; those individuals making more than $400,000 per year. Under the surtax, they were asked to pay an additional tax on any income over $400,000.

New Jersey Education Association

Old 03-24-2010, 08:07 AM

7,913 posts, read 16,486,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Oh and by the way..your reference to cops & firefighters...that blue line for the most part is different they tend to look out for each other.
You say in one breath..let's not pick on the teachers and then in the next you slam the cops.
You actually have no idea if any police or fire salaries have been frozen or not
the bottom line is the NJEA is a big bully who should have been smacked back decades ago.
When the president of NJEA's solution is to not let the SURCHARGE tax expire on people who make over $400K, they have lost all credence. She does not want to make concessions her solution is to keep a SURCHARGE tax on these people who by the way ALREADY pay taxes:

First article on the web site....I have TWO words for her and it isn't Merry Christmas....and no I make no where near $400K

We are dismayed at this governor’s priorities and tactics. He has rejected out of hand the possibility of extending a surtax on the state’s wealthiest residents; those individuals making more than $400,000 per year. Under the surtax, they were asked to pay an additional tax on any income over $400,000.

New Jersey Education Association
Bravo. Probably the best post I've read on here in at least the last month.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:26 AM

2,936 posts, read 4,943,585 times
Love the NJEA letter; "its wrong to ask our men and women who made a "modest" wage to pay 1.5% of their income for healthcare expenses. Really? what will your members say when they are handed pink slips? Let's see 1.5% vs. zero income due to unemployment....knowing the way they teach math, they will accept the zero income.

NJEA = Dumb and Dumber!

Old 03-24-2010, 10:22 AM

15,246 posts, read 10,459,164 times
Default njea doing a great job

What job would that be?

Teachers are not the NJEA.

NJEA is a relic from times gone by.... our version of Britiish royalty.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:45 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,181,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
A tax that the old Democrat administration could have EASILY extended towards the end of their tenure but decided not to but it is Christie's fault to not extend it.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:48 AM

5,272 posts, read 9,893,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Baba, obviously your a teacher or one is in the family. YES police in Point Pleasant have agreed to a pay freeze this year and to contribute 1.5% of their salary to health benefits. And this is in addition to 6 cops getting laid off and demotions. As for salaries, cops and firefighters will always make more then teachers. They put their life on the line everyday. Yes the urban areas are more dangerous than other areas. I haven't heard of any teacher unions voluntarily agreeing to freezing their salaries and paying for health bennies yet. ALL unionized public employees must agree to these things or this state will be unaffordable "for the children".

Old 03-24-2010, 11:19 AM

and as an after thought those with high incomes live in much better neighborhoods, pay property taxes out the wazoo of which more then likely 60% go to the schools and their kids if they have any more then likely go to private schools, so in addition to contributing to the schools they pay more to educate their own kids
But lets add a surcharge tax, penalize thenm for being successful and people wonder why the wealthy are fleeing and taking their tax money with them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey