U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 02:19 PM

747 posts, read 2,187,337 times

Advertisements

Expect to pay closer to 3k for a nice 2br. Of course, everything is relative, including your definition of "nice" but if parking isn't included it will probably be around $200 so it shouldn't be a dealbreaker for you.

Just keep in mind Hoboken refers to a city and not just one neigborhood. So not all apts will be walking distance to the PATH which is your ideal commute to the WTC/FiDi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 10:41 AM

2 posts, read 9,834 times
This first recommendation of mine may be further away in actual distance, but it's shorter on time.

I did the commute to NY from Bloomfield, NJ, which wasn't bad by train. They didn't run on weekends though, so the buses were the weekend option (although I'm pretty sure you can actually take buses from Bloomfield all week as well, which may be a more comfortable option overall). Montclair was the hip/trendy downtown there, which was very nice. With your price range, you could probably find a place there. There's also Glen Ridge, which is between Bloomfield and Montclair. Anyway, I'm recommending this area because I used to commute to the city from there, and it's faster to get into NY, as well as much more cost-effective than commuting from most (if not all) of the previously-mentioned "nice places to live" on the NEC line.

However, I eventually moved to New Brunswick, which is where I am now. Before I moved here though, I'd make the drive from Bloomfield to New Brunswick a few days a week for at least six months. As for commuting to NY from New Brunswick, I do NOT recommend it on a regular basis. Some people do take the train and use the monthly pass, but from my personal experiences, five days a week just didn't feel worth the loss of time and money.

Before I finish off this post, there's one other option that hasn't been mentioned here (probably because of the popular stereotype), but I think it may be something worth looking into...

Have you considered Staten Island at all? The room mate I had in Bloomfield moved there, and I believe his commute time to Midtown NY was about the same. However, if you're looking to get into the Financial District regularly, it's probably an improvement - plus the ferry from SI is free. Driving into the city from there is another possibility if you each have your own cars, and the drive to New Brunswick is likely to be less than 50 minutes from there as well...depending upon which part of SI you'd be living in, of course.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:15 PM

50 posts, read 154,047 times
What about Bayonne? Check the "Alexan city view". The commute to Rutgers is a 30 minutes drive in the turnpike and with the light rail across the street it should be an easy comute to Wall Street.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:24 AM

181 posts, read 96,735 times
Consider renting in Secaucus. The Secaucus Junction Transfer Station is a big hub for the train system. There are apartments you can rent, with parking, for as little as $1700 a month.

From Secaucus, you have a drive commute of 45 mins up to 90, depending on traffic, to New Brunswick. You can also take the train to New Brunswick if desired. There are frequent trains to New York Penn(10 minute ride), Hoboken where you can catch the Path or the NY Waterway, and Newark, also a Path location.

I don't think I am allowed to make a link, but look for xchange.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:29 PM

239 posts, read 1,003,043 times
I've lived in Hoboken and now live in Westfield. Both are very nice places to live. I never wanted to leave Hoboken...Westfield has a Trader Joe's and not too far away (10-15 min) A Whole Foods. We have been here a little over two years and LOVE it. We are very much involved in the family-fun aspects of this town, but our new neighbors (two young married couples who coincidentally just moved from Hoboken) love it here too. I've posted this here before, but this is my friend's blog about Westfield. There are lots of photos and entries that I think give a great perspective on life here:

Westfield Clio

Other popular towns around this area are Scotch Plains, Fanwood (train station in Fanwood), and Cranford. Each of these has their own downtown area. I also like Metuchen, very charming. Millburn is very pretty too, and so is Maplewood. Not sure about the commute times but I think it's accurate to say that 45 minutes is probably unrealistic--unless you're only counting the station-to-station times from the NJ Transit timetable.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:26 PM
equ

10 posts, read 38,657 times
Kind of late to this thread, but my partner and I do almost exactly this commute. We were in Hoboken and now are in downtown Jersey City. Sole difference is that now I no longer work downtown but in midtown... Her reverse commute drive is not bad given that it's 36 miles. About 45min in the morning, up to an hour in the evening to Piscataway. She's also found some people who work in her building in Rutgers to car pool with.

She says that her drive improve considerably once we moved to JC (and where we are in JC, parking is easier as well). So that would be my recommendation, but definitely look in both towns.

She actually enjoys her morning drive most of the time. The evening one can be bad, but the issues are mostly around New Brunswick or Hoboken, not really in JC or on the turnpike, so we do ok.

Last edited by equ; 04-08-2010 at 03:36 PM..

Old 04-08-2010, 03:35 PM
equ

Quote:
Originally Posted by univ0681 View Post
Can people chime in on the expected length of a Hoboken to Rutgers New Brunswick commute by car at, say, 9:00 and 9:30am - and the commute back to Hoboken at, say, 3:30pm and 7pm?

(I am assuming traffic is really bad from 7-9am, and then from 4-6pm; if I am wrong, please let me know)

Google maps gives three routes:

1. US-1 S/US-9 S and US-1 S 32.6 mi 40 mins (1 hour 20 mins in traffic)
2. I-95 S 34.5 mi 42 mins (how much in traffic?)
3. Garden State Pkwy S 46.4 mi 54 mins (1 hour 20 mins in traffic)

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Since we do this, I'll answer:
1. Only take 1&9 soutbound and merge on to tpike after newark airport
2. Or take tpike all the way (78 extension)
3. Just say no.

Public transport depends on where in Rutgers. If it's right by the train station, sure (but fares are going up). If it's a univ bus etc, then it will take way longer than the drive.

Once again, Hoboken will add a (painful) 10 minutes to this drive compared to a convenient spot in JC.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:00 PM

747 posts, read 2,187,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Since we do this, I'll answer:
1. Only take 1&9 soutbound and merge on to tpike after newark airport
2. Or take tpike all the way (78 extension)
3. Just say no.
I would say that normally it's about equal between #1 and #2. The crucial difference is that if there is ever an accident or disabled vehicle on 1/9 on or near the Pulaski Skyway, then you are really screwed. It's simply the inherent result of having no shoulder/breakdown lane. It takes forever for the PD and tow trucks to get up there and move cars away.

The other day her car was in for service so I went to run an errand, pick up my wife, have a late lunch and come back to JC. A disabled vehicle that had been reported on my way out there was still there on my way back, literally 2+ hours later and the backups only increasing. I was once incredulous that delays on such a short span of road could reach 3+ hours, but now I see why.

The OP will have to use NJTP anyway (and use EZpass!). It's a question of getting on the TP immediately (I78 extension) or using 1/9 briefly. There's no upside to using 1/9 instead of getting on the TP immediately; the tiny fare difference doesn't justify the risk of sometimes disastrous delays.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:10 PM
equ

Exactly. From Hoboken and from North JC, Pulaski is easy to enter. Where we live now (south JC), we almost never use it.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:44 PM

28 posts, read 99,482 times
Can people perhaps share any information they may have as to the flavor, amenities, pros & cons, etc of the following three places: Metuchen; Millburn; Maplewood?

We're a dual-career couple, no kids. We will be living in the East Coast for the first time (currently in the Bay Area). We want a reasonably good commute (to Fin District in NYC by train; to Rutgers in New Brunswick by either train or car), an area that has a town/village feel with an interesting downtown (big plus for good food, i.e. restaurants + shops + perhaps Trader Joe's), and the potential to have a little bit more space than if we were to live either in NYC or Hoboken. We won't be buying immediately, and plan on renting first (budget of maybe 2-3k for a 2 bed apt/condo/townhouse; can pay a bit more if needed).

We really like North Berkeley in the Bay Area (in case some people here are familiar with it). We like South Berkeley a little bit less. [If this comment is cryptic, simply ignore.]

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or