U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-25-2010, 07:25 AM
 
78 posts, read 285,085 times
Reputation: 40

Advertisements

hi,
I'm currently working for the city of ny, but live in nj, on my pay stub there is a deduction for NEW YORK CITY TAX WAIVER , just wondering if anyone know what that is?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-25-2010, 11:05 AM
 
95 posts, read 455,327 times
Reputation: 52
Inquire with your payroll department, if these are NYC taxes then these should't be withheld as you are not an NYC resident. Hope this helps.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2010, 12:36 PM
 
397 posts, read 1,137,120 times
Reputation: 172
I used to work in NYC and live in NJ. I had the deduction taken out of my paycheck, but would file state taxes in both NJ and NY. My NY return would always include what had been taken out. Hope this helps!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2010, 02:33 PM
 
78 posts, read 285,085 times
Reputation: 40
great thanks for the info! I did get a letter from them to fill out an extra tax form, guessing that's what it's for, will see, hopefully get it back in my return.

thanks again.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2010, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Central, NJ
2,310 posts, read 4,812,001 times
Reputation: 2961
Just make sure they are not taking out city tax. You do have to pay NY state tax but they should not be taking out city.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2010, 07:49 AM
 
78 posts, read 285,085 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Just make sure they are not taking out city tax. You do have to pay NY state tax but they should not be taking out city.
Not sure if this the same thing as the City tax you mentioned, saw this on the NYC.gov Personal Income Tax page:

Personal Income Tax
New York City charges a personal income tax to City residents. The tax is administered and collected for the City by the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance. A resident uses the same filing status and taxable income as for State purposes, but applies different tax rates and credits.


Who must pay this Tax?
Every income-earning individual, estate and trust who resides in New York City must pay personal income tax. Part-year residents figure their tax based on income and deductions based only on the days lived in NYC.

Most people living outside the City are not subject to NYC personal income tax. However, non-residents who are employees of the City of New York must file Form 1127 and pay taxes each year. The amount is equal to the personal income tax they would owe if they were City residents.

So i that looks like me, as i'm living in nj but working for the city of ny right now, hopefully i'll get it all back!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2010, 10:56 AM
 
95 posts, read 455,327 times
Reputation: 52
Hmm... doubt that you will get it back, as you are taxed as if you were an NYC resident if you are employed by the city. I may be wrong though.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2010, 11:03 AM
 
413 posts, read 979,459 times
Reputation: 283
so, if you work in NYC and live in NJ - u have to pay state taxes for both states and NYC resident tax?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2010, 01:11 PM
 
95 posts, read 455,327 times
Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggy_mba View Post
so, if you work in NYC and live in NJ - u have to pay state taxes for both states and NYC resident tax?
You don't pay both states taxes. When you file NJ tax returns, you receive credit for taxes paid to NY state. You also don't pay NYC taxes unless you work for NYC gov (not 100% sure if the city sags you for being its employee despite non-residency status).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2010, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Central, NJ
2,310 posts, read 4,812,001 times
Reputation: 2961
Quote:
Originally Posted by soni2926 View Post
Not sure if this the same thing as the City tax you mentioned, saw this on the NYC.gov Personal Income Tax page:

Personal Income Tax
New York City charges a personal income tax to City residents. The tax is administered and collected for the City by the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance. A resident uses the same filing status and taxable income as for State purposes, but applies different tax rates and credits.


Who must pay this Tax?
Every income-earning individual, estate and trust who resides in New York City must pay personal income tax. Part-year residents figure their tax based on income and deductions based only on the days lived in NYC.

Most people living outside the City are not subject to NYC personal income tax. However, non-residents who are employees of the City of New York must file Form 1127 and pay taxes each year. The amount is equal to the personal income tax they would owe if they were City residents.

So i that looks like me, as i'm living in nj but working for the city of ny right now, hopefully i'll get it all back!
Sorry about that. I didn't realize you worked for the city.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top