Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 10:12 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,281,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante80 View Post
All NYC boroughs have nice areas and not so nice, even in Manhattan. It all depends on what you are use to. I live Bensonhurst, Brooklyn currently, right next to Bay Ridge. With the subway, it only takes 40 minutes to get to lower Manhattan. The neighborhood is very diverse and safe. I suggest you check out the different neighborhoods in NYC and in Jersey City, Hoboken and decide what is more your preference. Let me know if you need to know about any Brooklyn neighborhoods.
is this a good place for me if i had a roommate-area, price, size, proximity to nightlife, transportation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 12:14 AM

51 posts, read 261,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
i went on re/max website and found these. tell me if they are good areas.

[SIZE=4]75 Monroe Street, # 1[/SIZE][SIZE=4]Hoboken, NJ 07030[/SIZE]

229 Greene Avenue, Brooklyn, NY

Fairview, NJ

65th & Broadway, West NY, NJ

Palisades Park, NJ

Palisades & Franklin, JC, NJ

Bleecker St & South St., JC, NJ

West Bergen, NJ

Fort Lee, NJ

Cliffside Park, NJ

Madison & 62nd, West NY, NJ

Fairview, NJ

Lake St. & Montrose Ave., JC Heights, NJ (is that a city)

West Bergen, NJ

Fairview, NJ

117-12 Ocean Promenade Unit 3-K
Queens, NY

Union City, NJ

Cambridge Ave & North St, JC, NJ

Lexington & West Side Ave, West Bergen, NJ

Union & Minerva, Greenville, NJ

Bronx, NY

Guttenberg, NJ

Long Island City

Wards Island

Weehawken

Randalls Island

Roosevelt Island
Ok...these are all over the place...and mostly places that don't fit your criteria...either due to safety, nightlife, ease of transportation, etc. Most parts of Jersey City do not meet your criteria...including West Bergen, Greenville, and the Heights...which are all sections in Jersey City. The only part of JC that meets your criteria are certain parts of Downtown JC...zip code 07302. Most of the other places you mentioned in NJ are either more suburban lacking nightlife and ease of public transportation...or grittier...or not completely safe for a young female....with the exception of Weehawken which would be worth considering because of it's close proximity to Hoboken and NYC.

Based on the above selection of towns...it seems like you are looking for a town along the river. Are you looking to rent something by yourself or with a roomate? And you're budget is approx $1500/mo right...whether you are living by yourself or with a roomate? I think you mentioned earlier that you would even consider a studio if need be right...so it doesn't sound like size is an issue??? And you want something urban right? So you want safety, nightlife, ease of transportation, along the river for approx $1500 right? Am I missing anything?

If I am on target with everything...it really sounds like Hoboken would be ideal for you or certain parts of Downtown JC. If you don't mind paying $1500/mo for a small apt by yourself...or sharing a really nice place with a roomate...you can definitely afford Hoboken or Downtown JC...and both meet all of your criteria. Your best bet is to look on craigslist.com for "apts/housing" or "rooms/shared" to get a better idea of what's available in your price range and various options. Are you going to be able to check out areas and apts before you move here...it sounds like that would help you narrow down your search and feel more at ease?

Old 06-07-2007, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishi View Post
Ok...these are all over the place...and mostly places that don't fit your criteria...either due to safety, nightlife, ease of transportation, etc. Most parts of Jersey City do not meet your criteria...including West Bergen, Greenville, and the Heights...which are all sections in Jersey City. The only part of JC that meets your criteria are certain parts of Downtown JC...zip code 07302. Most of the other places you mentioned in NJ are either more suburban lacking nightlife and ease of public transportation...or grittier...or not completely safe for a young female....with the exception of Weehawken which would be worth considering because of it's close proximity to Hoboken and NYC.

Based on the above selection of towns...it seems like you are looking for a town along the river. Are you looking to rent something by yourself or with a roomate? And you're budget is approx $1500/mo right...whether you are living by yourself or with a roomate? I think you mentioned earlier that you would even consider a studio if need be right...so it doesn't sound like size is an issue??? And you want something urban right? So you want safety, nightlife, ease of transportation, along the river for approx $1500 right? Am I missing anything?

If I am on target with everything...it really sounds like Hoboken would be ideal for you or certain parts of Downtown JC. If you don't mind paying $1500/mo for a small apt by yourself...or sharing a really nice place with a roomate...you can definitely afford Hoboken or Downtown JC...and both meet all of your criteria. Your best bet is to look on craigslist.com for "apts/housing" or "rooms/shared" to get a better idea of what's available in your price range and various options. Are you going to be able to check out areas and apts before you move here...it sounds like that would help you narrow down your search and feel more at ease?
i am definitely thinking about getting a roommate because that way i can afford a nicer place. so are Brooklyn and JC very similar.

1500 is for me only so if i had a roommate, ours together could go higher, but me alone would be no higher than that.

yes. a studio is fine.

yes, i want something close to the river and near manhattan.

i may be coming to NYC this summer so i will check out those places.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:05 AM

359 posts, read 2,589,717 times
Quote:
would it be more expensive than actually living in NYC b/c i definately couldn't live in the 'hood. i want a very clean, safe area that i would i wouldnt be nervous about being shot in

no. The nicest neighborhoods in JC arnt as expensive as manhattan but they come very close. The cleanest neighborhood is Port Imperial and is very expensive and very sterile. You wouldnt get the NYC experience living there even though you can see the city that is only 1 mile infront of you. If your used to clean LA streets and dont want dirtyness first off NYC is not for you and JC is definatley not for you. NYC is the dirtiest city but you definatley wont get shot. Its for the most part very safe. JC is dirty and for the most part not to great. Parts like Hamilton Park and Paulas Hook are nice but still you have the chance of walking down the wrong block.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJerzyKidUNO View Post
no. The nicest neighborhoods in JC arnt as expensive as manhattan but they come very close. The cleanest neighborhood is Port Imperial and is very expensive and very sterile. You wouldnt get the NYC experience living there even though you can see the city that is only 1 mile infront of you. If your used to clean LA streets and dont want dirtyness first off NYC is not for you and JC is definatley not for you. NYC is the dirtiest city but you definatley wont get shot. Its for the most part very safe. JC is dirty and for the most part not to great. Parts like Hamilton Park and Paulas Hook are nice but still you have the chance of walking down the wrong block.
well i guess i said that wrong. i don't mind trash in the street b/c we have dirty streets here, but i dont want a city with dead plants and bland scenery all over. i wasn't sure how to say it then. so i want a place that is kinda clean, but i want a scenery that is nice to look at

Old 06-07-2007, 10:09 AM

Quote:
i am definitely thinking about getting a roommate because that way i can afford a nicer place. so are Brooklyn and JC very similar.

1500 is for me only so if i had a roommate, ours together could go higher, but me alone would be no higher than that.

yes. a studio is fine.

yes, i want something close to the river and near manhattan.

i may be coming to NYC this summer so i will check out those places.
What do you mean by "are brooklyn and jc very similar"...in what sense? Yes...both are very large with a lot of different sections...both good and bad.

"well i guess i said that wrong. i don't mind trash in the street b/c we have dirty streets here, but i dont want a city with dead plants and bland scenery all over. i wasn't sure how to say it then. so i want a place that is kinda clean, but i want a scenery that is nice to look at"

So it sounds like you want tree-lined strees, parks, etc in an urban setting...is that right?

Old 06-07-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishi View Post
What do you mean by "are brooklyn and jc very similar"...in what sense? Yes...both are very large with a lot of different sections...both good and bad.

"well i guess i said that wrong. i don't mind trash in the street b/c we have dirty streets here, but i dont want a city with dead plants and bland scenery all over. i wasn't sure how to say it then. so i want a place that is kinda clean, but i want a scenery that is nice to look at"

So it sounds like you want tree-lined strees, parks, etc in an urban setting...is that right?
yea, thats right. i dont know if it's possible there, i just know it is here.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
yea, thats right. i dont know if it's possible there, i just know it is here.
Yes it's possible...and I know it probably sounds like I keep repeating myself...since I am...but Hoboken is what you're looking for.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:27 PM

my mom is from Utica, NY and remembers Hoboken and JC and bad areas and when i told her about them, she said no. has it really changed that much?

Old 06-07-2007, 07:09 PM
bay

425 posts, read 2,921,673 times
JC definitely changed a lot in the past 10 years. I used to work in newport area so we rent a waterfront apt there for 2 years. The apt building is right behind PATH station and PATH is running 24 hours. The area is very nice and safe becuase I used to work at night shift and walk home by myself without any concern. However, the rent is getting more and more expensive. That's why we chose to move out and bought a condo.

check out jclist.com which is the JC downtown forum. you may get more info about JC there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey