Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 11:34 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,666,272 times

Advertisements

I took the 160/163/164 from Paterson Ave and Hackensack st in East Rutherford(The Pantry/old WahWah Stop) everyday for over 2 years rush hour both ways( we just moved last spring). It takes on average 35 minutes going in and 45 minutes coming out. I left at 8:30am and was in by 9am. The only way I could see it averaging longer is if you get on after the bus lanes close which I think is 10am. Sure, some days there is traffic and it can take an hour( this was maybe 2Xs per month max)...the most time it ever took was during that crazy snow stork last year when it was a white out and rt. 3 was covered in ice, that time it took 1.5 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 07:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,751 times
what bus travels from Ridge Road Lyndhurst to Union Avenue in Rutherford

Old 06-22-2011, 01:28 PM

169 posts, read 703,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoapie View Post
The 190 from Rutherford takes about 50min to an hour to get to port authority from the earlier stops in Rutherford, union and jackson aves on the way to NY. On the way home it takes about 40 min to get to the same stop and about 20-30 to get to the first stop on Orient Way. As you can see, it depends where you get on the bus as it usually takes 10-15 min to get through Rutherford if you are the earlier/last stop closer to route 21 on union ave.

This is on normal days as traffic accidents and unusally things slow things down but I would say they are pretty rare.
This post is the most accurate of the bunch on this thread...

You can bank on 45-50 minutes every morning from Union/Jackson in Rutherford. Now if you are getting on at the end of Orient Way you can shave 10 minutes from that and it's 35-40 minutes. Keep in mind there are usually NO SEATS many times after pickup at Station Square (where the train station is)... although this varies.

The biggest problem with the bus vs train debate from Rutherford is the AWFUL setup of the Gate in port authority. There just simply isn't enough room there. The gate has 3 doors, Rutherford being in the middle (#2) during rush hour. When you hit the top of the escalator during rush hour there is just people everywhere and usually screaming at each other for not being on the right line, etc. This is THE WORST after you just rushed there probably sweating and now you are shoulder to shoulder not knowing where to stand with people getting pissed off..... Absolute disaster...

NY Penn station you walk in, go to your track and change at Secaucus.... I take the train home all the time, it's a no brainer for +$20/month for a train pass over a bus pass.... absolute no brainer...

Keep in mind this only applies to the #190 bus gate, the #160 is way downstairs and much easier and no hassle to get to, but also runs much less frequent. I don't have experience with the other bus #'s mentioned.

Any questions contact me I'm the commuting master...

Old 06-22-2011, 01:32 PM

169 posts, read 703,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
I took the 160/163/164 from Paterson Ave and Hackensack st in East Rutherford(The Pantry/old WahWah Stop) everyday for over 2 years rush hour both ways( we just moved last spring). It takes on average 35 minutes going in and 45 minutes coming out. I left at 8:30am and was in by 9am. The only way I could see it averaging longer is if you get on after the bus lanes close which I think is 10am. Sure, some days there is traffic and it can take an hour( this was maybe 2Xs per month max)...the most time it ever took was during that crazy snow stork last year when it was a white out and rt. 3 was covered in ice, that time it took 1.5 hours.
35 minutes from there, sure... as that's one of the last stops before it goes express to NYC so that's why. If you are at the start of Paterson Ave you can easily add 15 minutes to that (say near the Shell station by Locust Ave) because it stops almost every other corner at that point.

Also seats are very limited by that point but the buses do come often so you don't have to wait long, the biggest problem would be getting to the Pantry/High School area in the AM if you don't live within walking distance.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:40 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,951,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itznin View Post
This post is the most accurate of the bunch on this thread...

You can bank on 45-50 minutes every morning from Union/Jackson in Rutherford. Now if you are getting on at the end of Orient Way you can shave 10 minutes from that and it's 35-40 minutes. Keep in mind there are usually NO SEATS many times after pickup at Station Square (where the train station is)... although this varies.

The biggest problem with the bus vs train debate from Rutherford is the AWFUL setup of the Gate in port authority. There just simply isn't enough room there. The gate has 3 doors, Rutherford being in the middle (#2) during rush hour. When you hit the top of the escalator during rush hour there is just people everywhere and usually screaming at each other for not being on the right line, etc. This is THE WORST after you just rushed there probably sweating and now you are shoulder to shoulder not knowing where to stand with people getting pissed off..... Absolute disaster...

NY Penn station you walk in, go to your track and change at Secaucus.... I take the train home all the time, it's a no brainer for +$20/month for a train pass over a bus pass.... absolute no brainer...

Keep in mind this only applies to the #190 bus gate, the #160 is way downstairs and much easier and no hassle to get to, but also runs much less frequent. I don't have experience with the other bus #'s mentioned.

Any questions contact me I'm the commuting master...
The rail pass works on buses also

Old 06-22-2011, 09:14 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itznin View Post

This is the most accurate and honest thing anyone has ever posted about bus commuting in and out of PABT on this entire board. Thank you, for finally being vocal about the hellish reality that is the PABT on the evening rush home. I did the reverse commute for years (Brooklyn/Queens to NJ and back) and upon arriving home in NYC I saw what I could only equate to legalized carnage.

Now that I've moved to NJ and my lady love commutes daily to and from the city via bus, well I don't take her out to nice meals often enough for surviving that hell-pit that is PABT.

I advocate mass transit, hugely. It is the best way to go, when it IS the best way to go. I could take an intrastate bus to work if I wanted to, but then I'm at the mercy of its horrifically limited schedule. If I finish work 10 minutes after office hours, I don't wanna wait another hour or more for the next bus...

But man, you gotta be prepared for the carnage that can be with interstate travel. PABT is one place I am glad to say I will never experience again unless I opt to.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:02 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,951,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
This is the most accurate and honest thing anyone has ever posted about bus commuting in and out of PABT on this entire board. Thank you, for finally being vocal about the hellish reality that is the PABT on the evening rush home. I did the reverse commute for years (Brooklyn/Queens to NJ and back) and upon arriving home in NYC I saw what I could only equate to legalized carnage.

Now that I've moved to NJ and my lady love commutes daily to and from the city via bus, well I don't take her out to nice meals often enough for surviving that hell-pit that is PABT.

I advocate mass transit, hugely. It is the best way to go, when it IS the best way to go. I could take an intrastate bus to work if I wanted to, but then I'm at the mercy of its horrifically limited schedule. If I finish work 10 minutes after office hours, I don't wanna wait another hour or more for the next bus...

But man, you gotta be prepared for the carnage that can be with interstate travel. PABT is one place I am glad to say I will never experience again unless I opt to.
you do realize those so called hourly buses only exist in central NJ and south jersey right??? here is a tip if the route is not an 800 series line then its probablt rediculously frequent inspite of being intrastate. FYI none are express either. Where do you commute to and from within NJ??? There are ways around the limited schedule ya know

Old 06-24-2011, 05:50 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
you do realize those so called hourly buses only exist in central NJ and south jersey right??? here is a tip if the route is not an 800 series line then its probablt rediculously frequent inspite of being intrastate. FYI none are express either. Where do you commute to and from within NJ??? There are ways around the limited schedule ya know
Dude, trust me, I've looked into it. I don't need your "tips", I may not be as in depth with my knowledge of the statewide bus systems, but I know the buses in my area and how they do/don't work for me.

The only halfway sensible bus option for me (no transfers) would be the 751 (live: Bogota, work: Edgewater) which runs on two alternating routes on a schedule that would not get me to work on time or lineup with when I usually leave the office. The 15 minute drive in my car (which affords me the chance to stop at QuickChek for an iced coffee!) is a much more attractive option.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:22 PM

2 posts, read 1,626 times
Hi all, any advice for a newbie who just moved to Rutherford and have to commute to NYC (M-F)? The closest bus stop to me is the 190 on Union and Chestnut. I have to get to 57th St., but don't mind walking from 42nd St.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey