Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2017, 05:44 AM

3 posts, read 1,817 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! My fiance and I have been living in more suburban NJ and commuting to midtown for several years now, and have decided to spend a year (or few) living across from Manhattan in one of the rental communities along the gold coast. We've spent a lot of time perusing the different areas along the water, but it's overwhelming trying to choose the right community or building... although they all tend to look nice externally, I'm starting to be concerned after reading negative reviews about particular buildings regarding poor/cheap construction, unresponsive management, etc. While I realize these are rental communities and as such the construction quality won't be *the best*, I'm also sure there must be some buildings that are higher quality than others...and also realize it will take intel from people living there/in the know to find out which these are.

Since we're trying to balance a nice area along the river with a decent commute to midtown, we've been focusing on either the Port Imperial area (to utilize the ferry) or further north near Edgewater/Ft. Lee (GWB -- he drives in now very early in the morning so misses traffic). I'd be open to other areas if there happens to be a really beautiful building we should add to our consideration.

Things that are important to us are a well-constructed community (peaceful inside the apartment, new, modern), river and nyc views, being right on the water, being able to walk to at least some shopping and dining, ample parking. Must be pet friendly as well. We tend to prefer the low to mid-rise building with balconies (feels less like an office building, which we spend all day in!), but would be open to a high rise if all other factors are right. We did look at The Modern in Ft. Lee but it feels like living on/in an island...

So here is my ask -- for anyone living in any of these towns/communities/buildings, I would so much appreciate any input on *specific* rentals we should be looking at. I'd like to know which are the best of the best! And should add.. we have no kids, can live in either a 1 or 2 BR, and would like to keep rent around 3K per month if possible.

TIA all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 05:15 AM

*Bump*
Not one person in this forum has any experience living on the water anywhere from Ft. Lee to Weehawkin? Sad face.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:54 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,584,927 times
Honestly when I first saw "Gold Coast" I'm thinking of the real coast along the ocean,,, starting down in Monmouth County.

Personally I have a decades old urban gritty view of the towns across the Hudson from Manmhattan. I know its been updated a lot recently, just my view of those places. Too dense for my vibes personally.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:11 AM

I hear you...I grew up in Jersey right outside of the city (but in another area) that was an urban and gritty place in itself, so I know what you mean. It's hard for me to refer to it as the Gold Coast (hence the quotes . In all honesty it's too dense for us too for the long term, but we thought it would be convenient and nice to try that lifestyle out for a year or two. Enjoy an easy commute to the city and have some nice views.

The trouble is there are about a zillion developments, and I have no way of knowing which are actually well run and livable. Most online reviews of ALL of them are terrible, but of course unhappy people tend to post the most.

We've pretty much narrowed it down to the area that's walkable to the Port Imperial Ferry. If anyone reads this, lives there, and happens to love (or hate) where they live...please let me know why!

Thanks again.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:37 AM

1,215 posts, read 3,290,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieGoldCoast View Post
Hi Everyone! My fiance and I have been living in more suburban NJ and commuting to midtown for several years now, and have decided to spend a year (or few) living across from Manhattan in one of the rental communities along the gold coast. We've spent a lot of time perusing the different areas along the water, but it's overwhelming trying to choose the right community or building... although they all tend to look nice externally, I'm starting to be concerned after reading negative reviews about particular buildings regarding poor/cheap construction, unresponsive management, etc. While I realize these are rental communities and as such the construction quality won't be *the best*, I'm also sure there must be some buildings that are higher quality than others...and also realize it will take intel from people living there/in the know to find out which these are.

Since we're trying to balance a nice area along the river with a decent commute to midtown, we've been focusing on either the Port Imperial area (to utilize the ferry) or further north near Edgewater/Ft. Lee (GWB -- he drives in now very early in the morning so misses traffic). I'd be open to other areas if there happens to be a really beautiful building we should add to our consideration.

Things that are important to us are a well-constructed community (peaceful inside the apartment, new, modern), river and nyc views, being right on the water, being able to walk to at least some shopping and dining, ample parking. Must be pet friendly as well. We tend to prefer the low to mid-rise building with balconies (feels less like an office building, which we spend all day in!), but would be open to a high rise if all other factors are right. We did look at The Modern in Ft. Lee but it feels like living on/in an island...

So here is my ask -- for anyone living in any of these towns/communities/buildings, I would so much appreciate any input on *specific* rentals we should be looking at. I'd like to know which are the best of the best! And should add.. we have no kids, can live in either a 1 or 2 BR, and would like to keep rent around 3K per month if possible.

TIA all!
Good morning...so, what do you mean by this? Living on/in an island? Can you elaborate? Is it high-rise living that struck you this way? In Fort Lee, you are looking at high-rises mostly. What about The Palisades (another high-rise building)? There's a couple of "town-house" developments so you can look there.

If you aren't opposed to the high-rise, then don't limit your search to just rental communities -- look at all the high-end buildings (those that allow rentals) -- the Carlyle for example (just over the Fort Lee border in Cliffside Park), or Buckingham Towners, or The Atrium (which is in Fort Lee, much closer to the GWB). I don't know if any/all allow rentals.

In Edgewater, you can look at a few high-rise type buildings, or the townhouse style. I think quality construction is more questionable here and I've had a couple of friends who have had issues with the developer of a complex. Anyway, are you working with a top broker?

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey