U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 04:23 PM

605 posts, read 1,759,605 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering how bad the crime and/or how safe the Jersey Gardens outlet mall is. I'm a youngish woman and want to go there alone during the day, during the week. I've only ever gone (maybe 3 times total) with my husband. The last time we were there (over a year ago), a man approached us in the mall, opened up his jacket, and tried to get us to buy fake gold watches. It was literally out of a movie.

So, what do people think of the mall and its safety? It is the closest outlet mall to my home; the rest are at least an hour away. I just wish I felt comfortable going there alone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 04:55 PM

478 posts, read 1,486,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
I'm wondering how bad the crime and/or how safe the Jersey Gardens outlet mall is. I'm a youngish woman and want to go there alone during the day, during the week. I've only ever gone (maybe 3 times total) with my husband. The last time we were there (over a year ago), a man approached us in the mall, opened up his jacket, and tried to get us to buy fake gold watches. It was literally out of a movie.

So, what do people think of the mall and its safety? It is the closest outlet mall to my home; the rest are at least an hour away. I just wish I felt comfortable going there alone!
Where is the Jersey Gardens Mall? Never heard of it.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:20 PM

12,381 posts, read 22,620,647 times
The Mall is in a very Safe area of Elizabeth , don't let one incident scare you away. In 7 Years the Elizabeth Light Rail will give you direct access to the Mall form Downtown Elizabeth Station & Newark Airport Station. This should give you idea where its located

Old 03-25-2010, 05:41 PM

478 posts, read 1,486,730 times
Been along time up there for me...I worked in Port Elizabeth (thats what it use to be called up there) as a welder for the ILA..mid 80's was last time in that area..guess built later Jersey Gardens.
I recall it took me more time to pay for the turnpike ticket waiting on line then the whole trip up to that exit. Hated everything up there and moved south..happy ever since!

Old 03-25-2010, 05:47 PM

8 posts, read 39,096 times
Default Don't have a problem with Jersey Gardens

I live in Morris county and go to Jersey Gardens few times a year on weekends and during the day alone - I try try to park in the back (side with movie theatre) because there usually is a police car or van at that entrance. I am quite comfortable walking around in there. I try to avoid going to the bathrooms as most of them appear to connect from 2 long hallways, and it's not so easy to figure out which way to turn to get back out of there. Might be just me, but thought I would mention it.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:05 PM

747 posts, read 2,209,252 times
I've been there a bunch of times and it never occurred to me that it might be unsafe.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:11 PM

249 posts, read 656,672 times
I go to the mall once every few months when I also visit IKEA. I've never felt unsafe, but I always go in the afternoon. I have heard that it's not the safest place to be at night, but a lot of malls are like that now. Especially when large groups of teens get together. If you find kids from rival high schools in close proximity to one another, many times things get out of control.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:34 AM

278 posts, read 898,467 times
Just an FYI, its not really an "outlet mall" where you see huge discount prices. I think it's just a marketing tool to get people to shop there. Its just a regular mall to me. I agree about parking in the movie theater lot....a lot of activity there so usually less prone to being approached.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:40 AM

5,079 posts, read 7,243,923 times
I have always gone during the day, by myself and haven't felt unsafe....

Old 03-26-2010, 06:19 AM

2,705 posts, read 7,096,552 times
Laughing at this thread. How, in any way shape or form, would a mall be UNSAFE?? It's a public space, with TONS of people, as well as security people all over the place. And you're asking about going during the daytime? Oh man.

A man tried to sell you watches? RUN FOR THE HILLS!!! Danger is imminent!

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but where do you people come from, the little house on the prairie?

Jersey Gardens may be chock full of trashy people, many of which are not white, but I promise you they will NOT try to mug you when you reach into your purse to buy an Auntie Anne's pretzel at the food court at 2pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or