U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 04:34 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,055,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCity View Post
The road conditions, public transit, libraries, parks, school systems, beaches, culture, amenities and entertainment is unmatched.
Lets all go back to the original post and term that started this debate.....since this post no one has been able to offer anything concrete in New Jersey thats "unmatched"....bottom line is that many states not only match New Jersey in the items listed but are superior and with less taxes. If even neighboring states with the "amenities" that you travel to from NJ can offer all these services at less taxes why can't NJ ?

Old 03-28-2010, 04:50 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,310,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Lets all go back to the original post and term that started this debate.....since this post no one has been able to offer anything concrete in New Jersey thats "unmatched"....bottom line is that many states not only match New Jersey in the items listed but are superior and with less taxes. If even neighboring states with the "amenities" that you travel to from NJ can offer all these services at less taxes why can't NJ ?
Im sorry you feel that way and that the answers numerous posters have given you are not good enough. But one lives where one can make the best life and where the culture and amenities meets ones desires. For me and many posters on this forum that place is NJ, and the property taxes are acceptable because we are living where we want to live and where we make the best life for ourselves and our family. It seems NJ does not meet your needs so maybe the best thing you can do is try out one of those southern states. I wish you the best.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:54 PM

15,358 posts, read 12,857,687 times
Quote:
What other state can offer ALL of those things?

Old 03-28-2010, 05:05 PM

324 posts, read 564,562 times
Quote:
North Jersey gives access to New York City, which is the most important city in the world. South Jersey gives access to Philadelphia, which has tons of history and is filled with amenities. New Jersey has Atlantic City, which is the closest spot to Las Vegas. The whole state of New Jersey is filled with beaches. Access to two major cities, beaches and gambling is expected to be expensive, entertainment comes at a price. Location, Location, Location.........

Actually, THREE people have given concrete evidence to prove New Jersey is "unmatched". I have highlighted certain parts and their posts are below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njchick View Post
I agree with you for the most part... the things you mentioned are why our taxes are so high. I really notice those things when I travel or visit relatives in other states. Just wish we could have more efficiently run services, so that our property taxes wouldn't increase so dramatically every year. NJ really has to work on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by njchick View Post
I think NJ is unmatched because of the location and sheer volume of things to do and places to go. Also, and this is a plus or minus regarding the tax issue, in NJ each municipality has their own little world, police force, school system, etc., so the quality is high, thus high taxes. But, I disagree with you about other states. I have many relatives down South (Florida) and even up north in Cape Cod, and NJ has a better road systems, schools, public trans, and yes, culture due to the diversity of the population and of course NYC. My relatives who live in other states have to bring their garbage to a dump for goodness sake, that's one example. Yeah, their taxes are lower, but I want my garbage picked up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Living in NJ gives you the ability to go from a broadway show on a Friday night to surfing some of the best waves on the EC (at Manasquan inlet) Saturday morning. All of the concerts and big events you can see at Giants stadium and then the underground music scene in Asbury Park. Skiing at hunter mountain after only a 2 hr drive from the normally relatively snow free winters to be found at the Jersey shore. The chaos at the boardwalk and the summer club scene only being a mornings drive away from the peace and quiet found camping at Bulls Island or High Point. All the history at Allaire Village and Twin lights ending with a ferry trip to the City. The wildlife and birding found at Sandy Hook is less than 19 miles away from some of the best natural history museums in the world. Add all of those with the lack of earthquakes, hurricanes, blizzards (usually) and the lack of crime in your own neighborhood and NJ can't be beat.

I am sure that you can individually find all of those things in other places but not with the ease and proximity with which you can find them if you are living in NJ. I am willing to pay more in taxes and not have to pay to take a vacation everytime I want to do some of those things apparently you are not.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:07 PM

153 posts, read 419,368 times
Quote:
A person doesn't have to make a ton of money to have a good quality of life. The last time I checked road conditions, public transit, libraries, parks and public school systems were free or close to being free.
I'm sure all of the people who pay big tolls on the highways or pay $300/mo for an NJT pass plus $100 NJT parking pass will be asking you where all those "free" commuting options are.

And from what I recall, Corzine actually proposed shutting down all the state parks are couple years back and only relented after a huge backlash. It costs A LOT to run all of this stuff.

Umm, and public school systems are certainly not free. Calculate 85% of your property tax bill - that's how much the "free" public school system costs you.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS37 View Post
I'm sure all of the people who pay big tolls on the highways or pay $300/mo for an NJT pass plus $100 NJT parking pass will be asking you where all those "free" commuting options are.
I never paid that much per month to ride the train now in South Jersey(PATCO) or when I lived in North Jersey (PATH).

Old 03-28-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I find the road conditions in New Jersey to be pleasant. Also, New Jersey ranks extremely low for wrecks and jughandles are provided throughout the state, which most other states don't have.
Yeah, it's great waiting through three traffic lights and making three rights to make a left turn I could've easily made in a matter of seconds if we had turning lanes and U-Turns like every other state in the union.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I never paid that much per month to ride the train now in South Jersey(PATCO) or when I lived in North Jersey (PATH).
I just looked up the fare for the nearest NJT train station (North Jersey Coast Line) to me to NY Penn. Monthly fare is $352. Then there are parking fees as well. So we're talking over $400/mo just to get to work.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
I just looked up the fare for the nearest NJT train station (North Jersey Coast Line) to me to NY Penn. Monthly fare is $352. Then there are parking fees as well. So we're talking over $400/mo just to get to work.
Well if you work in New York then maybe you should move to a location closer to the city. The monthly pass on the PATH is nowhere near that much.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:24 PM

324 posts, read 564,562 times
Quote:

And from what I recall, Corzine actually proposed shutting down all the state parks are couple years back and only relented after a huge backlash. It costs A LOT to run all of this stuff.

Umm, and public school systems are certainly not free. Calculate 85% of your property tax bill - that's how much the "free" public school system costs you.
NJ transit is offered and is cheaper than driving. There is a solution to the toll problem.

Did Corzine shut down all state parks? I don't believe so....

I never said the public school systems were free. I stated the highly ranked public school systems in New Jersey is one of the reasons for our high taxes.

Quote:
Yeah, it's great waiting through three traffic lights and making three rights to make a left turn I could've easily made in a matter of seconds if we had turning lanes and U-Turns like every other state in the union.
Yeah, jughandles are great! I am extremely greatful for having them in New Jersey.

I went to SC to visit my parents and almost died in a car accident about a month ago. Why? A guy decided to turn left into incoming traffic and cut me off. This accident could have been prevented if jughandles were present in SC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey