Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 06:03 PM

35 posts, read 140,343 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be retiring this year. NJ is a very expensive state, and since we aren't seeking employment, we're headed to South Carolina.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:03 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,722,408 times
I know I'm speaking as an outsider when I say this, but I think Jersey has more going for it than people realize. I won't deny that the cost of living is insane and that there are plenty of drawbacks, but there's alot to appreciate - aside from being close to New York City and Philadelphia, they have beautiful beaches, the best diners, many towns (excuse me, townships) with nice, walkable neighborhoods, the schools in NJ rank as some of the best nationwide (again, I realize in some areas they may suck, but even in CT we're not exempt from this.) And from my own experiences, it seems to me the further you get from I-95 and the GSP, the more you get an understanding of why they call it the Garden State.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:08 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,976,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
New Jersey is once again ranked in the top 20 safest states in the nation:
Safest States - WalletPop

Here is a list of the most dangerous states:
Most Dangerous States - WalletPop

NJ is #16.....we're talking about "unmatched" here.....to be unmatched NJ would have to be #1......basic math tells us that there are 15 states that Nj doesn't measure up to......so despite the highest tax rate we're not even close to being the safest state.....I have no idea why you offered this clearly useless information in this debate ?

Old 03-28-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Im sorry you feel that way and that the answers numerous posters have given you are not good enough. But one lives where one can make the best life and where the culture and amenities meets ones desires. For me and many posters on this forum that place is NJ, and the property taxes are acceptable because we are living where we want to live and where we make the best life for ourselves and our family. It seems NJ does not meet your needs so maybe the best thing you can do is try out one of those southern states. I wish you the best.
This isn't a case of NJ meeting my needs....this is a case of posters stating that they don't mind being abused with taxes because NJ is "unmatched" in comparison to other states regarding amenities, etc and yet no one, including you, can seem to offer ONE concrete example where NJ is unmatched on any issue ? Theres no use in posting nonsense regarding the status of NJ on issues as if it were facts if you can't back up your statements with facts ?

Old 03-28-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
What other state can offer ALL of those things?

NONE....thats the point....theres no use in posting nonsense like NJ is unmatched when clearly NJ is outmatched on many issues but especially property taxes !!!

Old 03-28-2010, 07:26 PM

469 posts, read 1,640,415 times
I am not an NJ hater, in fact I keep discovering more and more of why everyone loves this state so much. But I have to say, people need to stop living in denial. Okay you are two-three hours away from some of the biggest cities and beaches - but that is not the point - the point is the cost of living and and crash the state is heading towards, and I understand why everyone is and wants to move. If you are able to secure yourself a good lifestyle outside of NJ, by all means I suggest you move because things now are very on edge all around. It's a shame that things became so expensive, so crime ridden, so industrialized. I can't help but think soon NJ is going to be either rich or poor (millionaires and migrant workers).

Old 03-28-2010, 07:27 PM

159 posts, read 393,575 times
Back to the originial question posted - I'm leaving this hell hole in July and moving to the Dallas metro area - I can't wait!

Old 03-28-2010, 07:36 PM

36 posts, read 85,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
People don't seem to grasp just how bad property taxes are in NJ compared to other states either that or they just don't want to face the reality of how bad it is........2K in taxes here is nothing.....you'd pay that much in property taxes to live in a cardboard box in the parking lot behind WalMart and if you painted it the taxes would double !!!
i know, and here in CO we are talking about ~3,000 sq. ft house in a nice area When I heard the 2k number the first time, my jaw just dropped. We paid 3 times that much in NJ. In addition, our HOA fees in NJ were 2 times higher for the house half the size. And we all know what the HOA fees look like in Manhattan (hint - it is a house pmt in Colorado)

Old 03-28-2010, 07:49 PM

36 posts, read 85,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Nope. I live in the northwestern part of the state. Plenty of parks, trails, and paths around. I recommend getting off of 287 or 80 sometime.
to live there would have been too far for a commute to the city for us we tried to get out on weekends, but eventually got sick of the fact that interesting things - beaches, parks, places to visit were within an hour+ commute (much worse when traffic is bad, and it is pretty much every time). I recall that trips to the shore took 2-3+hours in the summertime - literally the whole NNJ area was going in the same direction!

Quote:
Food is not the same. Pizza in New Jersey is probably not the same as pizza in Wyoming (I know that sounds ridiculous, but there really can be a regionally difference). The grocery stores also offer better quality, IMO. When grocery shopping in South Carolina, I noticed a difference in overall quality. It's little things like this that make a pretty significant difference.
i am not into pizza, so I won't know if you compare dining "out" there are great restaurants in every state. Particularly in Denver, there are a lot of very good Vietnamese restaurants.
the only difference with Stop&Shop and Shop&Rite we've noticed so far is that we can't buy sushi in the grocery store in Colorado - you can, but it just won't taste good (well, it is a small price to pay for us). Everything else is the same.

Quote:
I've been to Colorado. Beautiful state, with a high quality of life. I wouldn't mind living there myself, but I prefer the weather back east. Plus all my family lives here. Anywho, hope you love it out there!
I do love living in Colorado. NJ has some strong points, but weather is not one of them
And, unlike NJ, the state of Colorado has a balanced budget.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:18 PM

17 posts, read 27,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
NJ is #16.....we're talking about "unmatched" here.....to be unmatched NJ would have to be #1......basic math tells us that there are 15 states that Nj doesn't measure up to......so despite the highest tax rate we're not even close to being the safest state.....I have no idea why you offered this clearly useless information in this debate ?
Isn't NJ the #1 in corruption and property tax?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey