Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 03:22 AM

390 posts, read 1,509,693 times

Advertisements

$60 of my property taxes goes toward the library. The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation bought the computers. Volunteers help with the day to day functions. My library holds fund drives and receives grants from various sources so the tax burden isnt large. However, if they do make it a membership/rental type system I wouldnt have a problem with it.

Although, the same thing could be said of the school system. Only pay for what you use. How do you determine which services to make privatize?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 05:17 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,511,210 times
I am a library nerd, I have been to everyone in Morris and Bergen Counties. I drive to the library that has the book I want by checking their catalog. So if its in Chester the book, I drive to Chester. So I think we can rid the intra library service, however I do use it and wil continue to be a nerd. Its ok to cut somethings at the library but not all things. Fair is fair and I can suck it up and go ahead and make the cuts, as long as there are still libraries open. The sad part I only see is if they cut the new books that they buy, that to me is the best part!! All the NEW information! I could care less about the computers and intra library service. Most people have cars and computers, but NOT THE NEW MATERIAL, that to me is valuable.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:39 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,440,056 times
i hear you.im a library nerd also. i love the library,i sometimes visit it 3 times a week.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:07 AM

342 posts, read 716,753 times
Was talking to our librarian last week and she commented on how library usage was way up. People trying to cut down expenses are taking out more books, videos, etc. Not every person using a computer is on facebook! Many are out of work, don't have a computer at home, and use library computers to send out resumes, etc. I for one will gladly pay the small portion of my taxes that go to run the libraries - I'm all about believing that an educated population is the best thing this nation has going for it. Libraries are also community meeting places, running programs as diverse as reading to pre-schoolers and senior citizen meetings.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:22 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,930,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Firstly, I didn't say the libraries should close. I said they should operate without taxpayer subsidy. That would mean they are no longer free, you'd have to pay a membership fee or a per book rental fee. That would be very fair, as the users would pay the freight, while the non-users would not. If they are a value to the community, the community will support the library and it will stay open and viable. If nobody cares, then they would close, and rightly so.

Secondly, eliminating taxpayer support of libraries saves millions of dollars. Those millions are returned to their rightful owners, the working stiffs who earned the money by getting up at 5AM and slogging to work to keep their families fed.
So let's cut the libraries to start and get in the swing of things so we can start cutting everything else and finally getting back to fiscal sanity. I don't care if it's 1% of the budget or whatever, it's definitely millions and it's definitely millions that the people need to have put back in their paychecks.
Yeah right. They are going to cut libraries, save millions and give it back to the working stiffs. That is NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN. You will not see a penny back to you in any form, I can promise you that.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:07 PM

272 posts, read 295,431 times
Do you not see this trend of cutting. It is only going to lead to your job being cut as well. Do you really think it will stop at the public sector. Adding to unemployment isn't going to help our state. What do all these people librarians etc etc do .... they are going to be looking at your jobs. The more people willing to do your jobs down goes your salary, or there goes your job or why should your boss keep you if he can hire someone new without benefits.

The middle class is getting pushed downward. Christie should be looking for ways to create jobs and businesses. Have you ever seen your taxes go down. NO

Old 03-29-2010, 04:35 PM

52 posts, read 196,069 times
His cuts will be impacting University libraries as well. For example, state schools like NJCU will lose access to most of their online databases such as EBSCO. These databases are ESSENTIAL to research for students. I'm seriously debating getting my MA in another state if this passes. I know others that feel the same.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:28 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,028,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canear View Post
Do you not see this trend of cutting. It is only going to lead to your job being cut as well. Do you really think it will stop at the public sector. Adding to unemployment isn't going to help our state. What do all these people librarians etc etc do .... they are going to be looking at your jobs. The more people willing to do your jobs down goes your salary, or there goes your job or why should your boss keep you if he can hire someone new without benefits.

The middle class is getting pushed downward. Christie should be looking for ways to create jobs and businesses. Have you ever seen your taxes go down. NO
You are correct: taxes will not go down and cuts will not be returned to the taxpayers.

But: The cuts will forestall or eliminate further tax increases. Money saved is money earned. If my taxes don't go up $100 next year to fund libraries, that's money that I earned that I can keep to spend on survival. Multiply those cuts to across the board and that's hundreds per year per taxpayer that will be saved and spent on the economy, keeping people in their homes.

If the cuts just keep taxes level for several years, we go from being the highest taxed state to just a high taxed state, and eventually to a fairly taxed state. Which brings back employers and home buyers.

And libraries do not need to close, they just need to stop being free. The people who use the library need to step up to the plate and keep their libraries going. Charge a buck a book per week, sell cookies and car washes, ask for donations, etc. You can't keep expecting free stuff paid for by people who are losing their homes. You just can't.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:58 AM

So we don't pay in taxes we pay in use. Same difference. Then we shouldn't pay for schools we should only pay if we use schools. I like that one I could save most of my property tax. Fireman, police we will have to have tolls on every road. What do we do with all the unemployed. Pay them to sit home instead of providing services do they enter the private sector where your job may be in jeopardy.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:00 AM

Just wanted to add the answer is JOBS JOBS JOBS. You can only cut back so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey