U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 11:34 AM

6,307 posts, read 9,599,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Hot Dog Johnnys, Butzville, rt 46.
Hot Rods Hot dogs, Glen Gardner, rt 31
Do you really like the dogs at Johnny's or just the nostalgia? The dogs really aren't that good and they really don't have any fixins there. The do serve homemade birch beer and buttermilk though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 01:54 PM

267 posts, read 803,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Do you really like the dogs at Johnny's or just the nostalgia? The dogs really aren't that good and they really don't have any fixins there. The do serve homemade birch beer and buttermilk though.
I think the dogs with 'everything' (mustard, onion, big dill pickle) are pretty good at Johnny's. They seem just like they did 50 years ago. The french fries, birch beer, setting and nostalgia make for a great combination.

There are "better" hot dogs out there, but I usually stop at Johnny's when driving between NJ and PA.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:49 AM

316 posts, read 738,562 times
Im a ruts hut guy myself- - but dont eat nearly as many hotdoggies as in the ol days

Old 03-30-2010, 12:36 PM

417 posts, read 858,315 times
The Windmill by far...they have locations in Long Branch and Belmar, not sure where else...but they are delicious. They also have some of the best cheese fries. Max's in Long Branch is a close second.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:58 PM

1,173 posts, read 3,877,235 times
As a rule I don't eat hot dogs, they totally skeeve me out. Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle" anyone??

That being said there is a place called bubba's dog house in Lyndhurst, YUMMMM. I will totally eat those hot dogs and the fresh made sweet potato fries with some kind of amainz sweet dressing. Wow. I guess I know what i'm having for dinner now...

Old 03-30-2010, 11:46 PM

4,085 posts, read 7,320,138 times
Hot Grill in Clifton - "texas weiner"; I like Johnny and Hanges also, and I want to try the one in Paterson on Crooks
Hot Dog House in Carlstadt (?? or E. Rutherford?? it's on Rt. 17 south near Paterson Plank Rd.) - for "dirty water" sabrett's with awesome toppings
Hiram's in Fort Lee - for the "ripper" type deep-fried dogs

This won't be a popular opinion but I'm no fan of Rutt's - but I think I have good reason and I'll defend it: Rutt's has good hot dogs. They are a specially made Thumann's hot dog. Hiram's is the (only?) other place that sells the same exact specially made Thumann's and deep fries it to order (in-n-outer, weller, ripper, etc.) just like Rutt's Hut. The difference is that Hiram's has no pretense. I don't like that Rutt's acts like their hot dog is so holy that people who want ketchup or any condiment other than their mustrdy relish are "soiling" their pure, virginal hot dog. Now, their mustardy relish is good, but some people like other things. I don't like ketchup on a hot dog, but if someone does, why shouldn't they get to have it? It's a hot dog, Rutt's Hut people...it's not a communion wafer. It's supposed to be OK to put the typical condiments on it. So even though I agree Rutt's is good, their pretense is annoying to me, not quaint or charming. Since I can get the same hot dog at Hiram's and have it with (free) sauerkraut, I will always choose Hiram's over Rutt's. Always. I even spring for chili on the hot dog at Hiram's on occasion, and cheese. It's also on my way home from Church and since I fast before communion by the time I'm out of Church at 1:30 I'm pretty darn hungry and Hiram's is a great stop!

On a more positive note - had a friend from L.A. in the area on business last week and he had a night free, so I took him to both White Manna in Hackensack for burgers and to Hot Grill for texas weiners, and he was blown away by both! I owed him - he and another girl co-worker of mine introduced me to great fish tacos when I was in So. Cal years ago, so it felt good to repay the debt.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:19 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,228,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tceffo View Post
Im a ruts hut guy myself- - but dont eat nearly as many hotdoggies as in the ol days
Rutts Hut just got chosen as one of the best Hot Dog spots in the nation by MSN.

America’s Best Hot Dogs - 3 - MSN Local Edition

Old 04-01-2010, 05:01 AM

13,229 posts, read 14,077,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
..... Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle" anyone?? .
Great book but I belive that the food processing industry has come a ways since then, both in terms of food quality and labor relations.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,738 times
Hot Grill in Clifton is by far the best, especially the "all the way" sauce.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:04 PM

844 posts, read 2,543,721 times
Gus's hot dog truck in Red Bank is the best. He parks by the Galleria in Red Bank.

m
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey