Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 07:07 AM

18,409 posts, read 15,108,403 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't single out PA, but people from other states in general don't give the left lane the same respect that people from NJ do. Anyone who has ever ridden on the autobahn can tell you that the only reason people can drive 160KPH without a lot of people getting killed is because of the strict adherence to the left lane rule. It is a great safety rule, I just wish more people would follow it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 03:41 PM

259 posts, read 922,490 times
PA folks need to keep to the right on the highway. It's unreal! They are scared s-less on our highways, driving white knuckled in the fast lane! Meanwhile, they are causing more accidents because of this. My favorite example of a PA driver is when a NJ State Trooper is flying up the highway in the left lane. Now, normal drivers see a State Trooper and will get out of the way. Not a PA driver, no way. No, they sit in the fast lane and are tailgated by the State Trooper. They won't move out of the lane until the Trooper turns his lights on. This is one of many examples of the complete lack of commons sense that PA drivers possess. PA drivers, do yourselves a favor, either learn to drive in Jersey or start working from home. I have spoken!

Old 03-29-2010, 04:02 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,632,023 times
Wow, I really have to disagree. I moved from NJ to PA recently and cannot believe how nice the drivers are. They let you turn in front of them, change lanes without beeping, and no NJ left turn!

Old 03-30-2010, 08:03 AM

87,956 posts, read 83,773,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I don't a specific state is worse than others, drivers in general are terrible. I wonder at times since the driver's test is written in so many different languages how does a non-English speaking driver read signs and could something be lost in the translation? Maybe it's just people have become too self-centered.
Some people just don't read signs. A former friend of mine would always screw up by missing exits when I was a passenger in her car, going toward Exit in a parking garage instead of Park, getting on the wrong highway, etc. She was born and raised in Kearny where she ostensibly learned to read and write English at a young age.

Meanwhile, I'm the type that reads every sign there is, so I assumed everyone else was seeing the same thing I did and was always confused that she missed the exits. Finally one day I asked her why she missed something, didn't she see the enormous big green sign with the white letters a mile back?

She just sort of giggled (this is a woman in her forties) and said, "Oh I didn't see the sign."

"How can you not SEE the sign? Especially when you should be LOOKING for it since you need a particular exit?"

Giggles again. "I don't READ all the signs. I just didn't think it was time yet to start looking for the sign."

What an idiot.

But don't worry, folks. This was a woman with 7 years of recovery under her belt who decided she could have a drink or two again. She got a DWI and lost her license, plus her car was repo'd. So we are a little safer.

However, I once had another friend who apparently WOULD have read the signs, if she could see well enough to read them. I would mention that I saw a sign for the exit we wanted, and she would say in amazement, "you could READ that? I can't even see the letters."

There are possibly thousands of people on the road who have no idea that their eyesight has deteriorated since they were 17 and took the driver's test. They don't even know that they aren't seeing clearly anymore because the change has been gradual. Those of us who have needed glasses since grade school go to an eye doctor every year. Many others never go.

Be careful out there.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:44 AM

35 posts, read 81,564 times
The total kicker: Last time I saw a woman driving through town reading a book!!! And that was on a busy two lane street with plenty of traffic lights. So bad drivers are everywhere (she was from NJ, not PA). That really ticks me off, how easy can you injure or kill somebody like that?!?

And btw, I noticed that not only people from PA drive like crazy in NJ, but also the ones from NY! ;-)

Old 03-30-2010, 09:12 AM

7,212 posts, read 11,878,944 times
I too, am sick of the PA drivers that drive in the middle lane on 78 going 55-60 mph. Move to the right!!!!

Old 03-30-2010, 09:21 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,239,635 times
I've driven in probably 25 states, and it's true - nowhere else do drivers give the left lane (passing lane) the respect that they do in NJ. People in other states very blatantly just use the far left lane as just another lane.

That being said, in every state drivers think that drivers from the "state next door" are the worst drivers, ever. LOL. Ask ANY NYer, and they will tell you that NJ drivers are the worst drivers, that they have no idea how to drive. Ask any NJ driver, and they will tell you that NY drivers are the worst ever. Same with NJ/Pennsylvania. It's been happening for years, and you can bet your buttons it will always be the case.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:32 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,465,675 times
I think anyone who is from out of "your" state is instantly a bad driver. Most times people aren't really familiar with the area and are being extra cautious.

However...

I will agree that to me PA drivers are the worst that I see on a daily basis. They seem to do fine in their own state, but are completely lost in NJ. The issue is real apparent in South Jersey in the Cherry Hill area, particularly the Route 38 corridor. Everyone and their cousin comes from PA to go shopping at the malls and chain stores and they all seem to be pretty darn clueless.

My favorite is the PA drivers who lack any understanding of a jug handle or traffic circle. On an almost daily basis I always see someone with PA tags trying to make a left on Route 38 to go into the mall or a store. Inevitably there is traffic backed up behind them with irate Jereseyans screaming and leaning on their horns while the PA driver just looks around wondering why everyone is so angry at them.

The thing that gets me is that people from PA come over here to shop so often, you think they would have figured it out by now.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:51 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,776,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
I too, am sick of the PA drivers that drive in the middle lane on 78 going 55-60 mph. Move to the right!!!!
my old neighbor in Philly used to tell me that she is allowed to sit in any lane she wishes. And she will not speed.. In fact she drives under the speed limit cause she a safe driver.. honest. She actually believes this.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:12 PM

14 posts, read 34,603 times
One day going to work one of them passed me on the shoulder on the nj turnpike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey