Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 09:48 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
I'm sure you attract a lot of businesses to your community with that type of progressive thinking in a struggling economy
Dude we had this law since the 60s , its not going away anytime soon......since people like it.....even the teens since they get the day off form work......or get to spend time with there friends......leave us alone in Bergen County ......we bring in alot to the states economy.......what does your county bring in? Southern Jerseyites are different then Northern Jerseyites , don't tell us how to run things up here or it was come back to bite you later....

Old 06-06-2010, 10:26 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
the bottom line is the RESIDENTS of that county don't want it, who are you and I to force our will on them? do you think we should force Chik Fil A to open on Sunday as well?

I never said that Christie should be able to force them to change their law. If you read my posts I said I thought it was a stupid law, then I had someone jump down my throat about my opinion, so I did the same to them and others that did the same thing to me or other people who shared my view. The name and main topic of this thread is "I think Christie should pass a law preventing people from Bergen County from shopping anywhere in NJ on Sundays". I know the two threads kind of blend together because they are based of similar topics, but this thread is NOT about if Christie should force the law to be overturned or not.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:48 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times
Quote:
I'm sure you attract a lot of businesses to your community with that type of progressive thinking in a struggling economy
Of course we do. Second only to NYC when it comes to retail. Far, far better business than your county does, and we don't even have to be open on Sunday to blow you out of the water.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:56 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
"Dude" ???? "Dude" ????? You watch too many western movies !!!
care to actually answer my question?

Old 06-07-2010, 05:55 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,976,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Of course we do. Second only to NYC when it comes to retail. Far, far better business than your county does, and we don't even have to be open on Sunday to blow you out of the water.

You seem to want to make this a county vs county issue and your barking up the wrong tree with me on that point.....I could care less what county this is.......in a state thats bleeding red budget ink and every revenue dollar counts its just plain dumb to insist upon living in the past. Considering your county has the 4th highest property taxes in the NATION most with common sense might do whats necessary and move into the 21st century to increase revenues but apparently not.......Its this type of dark ages moronic thinking thats driving financially responsible people out of this state !!!

Old 06-07-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
You seem to want to make this a county vs county issue and your barking up the wrong tree with me on that point.....I could care less what county this is.......in a state thats bleeding red budget ink and every revenue dollar counts its just plain dumb to insist upon living in the past. Considering your county has the 4th highest property taxes in the NATION most with common sense might do whats necessary and move into the 21st century to increase revenues but apparently not.......Its this type of dark ages moronic thinking thats driving financially responsible people out of this state !!!
again, stop the hysterics. this is a simple issue that you fail to comprehend. "should the governor have the right to impose something on the people of Bergen County that they have, time and time again, made clear they don't want?". please answer that question.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:02 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,976,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
again, stop the hysterics. this is a simple issue that you fail to comprehend. "should the governor have the right to impose something on the people of Bergen County that they have, time and time again, made clear they don't want?". please answer that question.
Hey....you guys elected him with a mandate to make the changes he feels the state needs to improve and prosper.......now, because hes suggesting changes you don't like you want to whine. Next time vote differently....either you want to give him control to run things or not ? You can't have it both ways. Hes just trying to bring your neanderthal thinking Bergen County of the state into the 21st century even though it might be kicking and screaming.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Where am I making this a "county vs. county issue"??? It's an issue of Bergen County - like ANY county - having the right to do what they want in their county when it comes to regulating business.

You talk about the state bleeding red budget ink, blah blah blah... what does ANY of that have to do with this??? Opening stores on Sunday will not increase revenue for the state. Only a flipping jackass would think it would. All that would happen is sales tax revenue from other parts of the state would be collected in Bergen County instead. That's all that would happen. If Bergen County brought in 61 million in tax revenue by being open Sunday, that means that other counties would be LOSING the sales that would have brought in that 61 million in tax revenue through them. Net gain for the state would be NOTHING.

So what does financial responsibility have to do with this?? Not a damn thing. Get a clue.

And if you don't like the taxes in NJ, MOVE. What's stopping you? You've been whining on this forum for years, go already.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Hey....you guys elected him with a mandate to make the changes he feels the state needs to improve and prosper.......now, because hes suggesting changes you don't like you want to whine. Next time vote differently....either you want to give him control to run things or not ? You can't have it both ways. Hes just trying to bring your neanderthal thinking Bergen County of the state into the 21st century even though it might be kicking and screaming.
He is trying to undo blue laws which our residents want. If he manages to do it, the next step would be for towns and the county to enact or re-enact ordinances to prohibit business on Sunday. At that time, we can make the laws stricter, too - and likely we will in many instances.

So, in the end, we will not lose our prohibition on business on Sunday.

What WOULD happen, which we don't want, is:
- we'd have to deal with traffic an extra day each week until ordinances are enacted or reinstituted
- we'd incur the costs involved in all the services necessary to accommodate that extra day of traffic, with no benefit from the state to help pay for it
- we'd incur the costs and time and effort of re-introducing legislation to limit or prohibit Sunday business
- our governor would be wasting his time and energy working on this which only pisses us off and in the long run won't stick, when he could have been working on something important instead

On top of all that, NJ would not make a single dime more in revenue from this. The state is bleeding money and stupid ass Christie just wants to bleed us some more.

So that's why people get pissed. But I'm not worried about there being Sunday shopping here; if it ever happens, it will be temporary.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
what makes you think i voted for him? why can't you answer a simple question? are you purposely being obtuse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey