U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2010, 02:27 PM

417 posts, read 873,667 times

Advertisements

I am currently looking for 1 bedroom apartments in the Princeton area. I will be moving in with my boyfriend, June 1 (we both currently live in Ewing and graduated from TCNJ last year so our leases will end May 31). We are looking for 1 bedroom apartments and our price range is up to about $1200. We have read such terrible reviews regarding almost all of the local complexes in Princeton, Plainsboro, East Windsor, etc. I know these should be taken with a grain of salt, so I would like to get others opinions. We are also both young professionals in our mid 20's, so we would like to live in an area with other young professionals and bars and restaurants close by. I work on Route 1 in Monmouth Junction, as does he, and we do not want a commute longer than 30 minutes. Any suggestions? Also would you suggest hiring a realtor? I noticed some of the local agencies advertise fees being paid by the landlord. Any advice would be much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 02:54 PM

17,579 posts, read 38,036,393 times
If you are looking for a bit of action (restaurants and bars) you better be in downtown Princeton or look further away. The other surrounding towns are almost all family oriented and don't have much of that going on.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:45 AM

30 posts, read 60,114 times
The apartment complexes are indeed pretty horrible, but they are cheap. The complexes in Plainsboro were so desperate a couple of months ago, they were renting out 1 bedrooms for $850/month (previously $1100/month). So you can try to get a deal there.

I would recommend getting a realtor, I made good experiences with them. You usually do not pay for that, the landlord pays them the first month's rent. For your budget, you may be able to get a nice privately owned 1 bedroom, or maybe even a cheap 2 bedroom. If you want something new and nicer, check out the Princeton Junction area (Avalon, the Muse, etc)... although they should be over your budget. Also check craigslist.

And regarding bars and restaurants, then you would need to live in downtown Princeton... more expensive.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:01 AM

Thanks for the advice! Has anyone personally lived in one of these complexes? And does anyone know of a realtor that specializes in rentals in the area? Also, when I say restaurants and bars, I am aware that there is nowhere around here that has a vibrant nightlife as seen in places like Hoboken and NYC. We are just looking for atleast one or two local bars in the area, as well as restaurants. I heard it was very difficult to find apartments in downtown Princeton, as you are competing with students and faculty of the University as well. Also, has anyone lived in Avalon Run in Lawrenceville? Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 03-30-2010, 09:06 AM

17,579 posts, read 38,036,393 times
I haven't lived in Avalon Run, but several of my co-workers do. They all seem to like it. I have seen the apartments and they are pretty nice as far as a big complex goes. There are 2 other Avalon complexes right around there as well.

I have lived in the Fox Run development in Plainsboro. It's not bad, but not great either. I don't think I would recommend it unless you were just looking for a cheaper place.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:47 AM

526 posts, read 2,471,929 times
My wife & I lived in Avalon Watch for about 6 months. Nice place, no problems. Extremely convenient to the West Windsor train station, with a bus stop to the train right out front. Wasn't exactly luxury living but it was fine for short term. I know others have had some problems there but it was fine for us.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:27 AM

Thanks for all your replies. My boyfriend just firmed up a job offer in Monmouth Junction so we have narrowed down our options since our offices are across the street from one another. We are now focusing on the following towns: Princeton, Dayton, Cranbury, and East Brunswick. We will still consider East Windsor, Plainsboro, Lawrenceville and Hamilton as well though but prefer the above areas. Again, budget is about $1200 for a one bedroom. We would like some amenities like pool, tennis courts, etc. but that will not be a deal breaker if they aren't offered. Most important is the apartment itself. New appliances and updated is a must, as I do love to cook. Let me know if you have any ideas. Again, we'd also like to be close to a bar or two, as well as restaurants. Has anyone heard anything about East Garden apartments in Dayton? Or Windsor Commons in Cranbury? Thanks!!

Old 04-03-2010, 07:31 AM

8 posts, read 17,555 times
Stay away from East Gardens in Dayton. Real low class now. It even has a sex offender living in the complex. You are about my age. I would not recommend Dayton then as their not much to do and very few Americans left. The closer to Princeton the better I feel as far as things to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey