Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 01:40 AM

315 posts, read 871,191 times

Advertisements

I use Verizon for the internet -TV-and cell- the ol triple play.

However, the wife was -lets say "commenting loudly"- on the customer service of verizons cable tv tech people, when the cable went out yesterday.- -We will send someone there between 9 am- to 5pm
Gee- thanks, can you narrow that down a bit??

Which gets me thinking- are all these servies in India?- I love the Indian people ,but the accent is brutal to understand *

Anyway, she wants to go back to comcast for the TV - but she,s happy enuff with the Internet .

The cell is a whole different story- -"I wanna go back to t-mobile"

Jeez- what services do you guys think are the best for each
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 02:10 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Many Customer Service offices except for Transit and a few others are done outside the US mainly in India due to the amount of English speaking ppl. The Accent varies state to state , just like here.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:29 AM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
I like Direct TV a lot more than I liked Comcast. The HD picture is so much clearer. I look at it like this:

If Comcast HD = DVD quality
Then Direct TV HD = Blue Ray quality

Before I switched, some people told me I would lose the signal when it rains. That turned out to be a bunch of BS. We just had the wettest March in recorded history and I never lost the signal. Not even once.

I use Comcast for internet because they have always done internet well.

And Verizon for my cell phone, because that is the only signal I get in most hospitals.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:36 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,632 times
Just got the Fios triple - phone (landline), TV, Internet - and I love it. I have so many more channels for the same amount and that amount also covers all the set-top boxes that I didn't get from Cablevision.

As for Verizon being "in India" - I guess they may have a line that is routed to India, but I know for a fact (having worked with them) that they have call centers in every state and the call centers handle those calls in their state only; if you call a different state's call center they will transfer you to a NJ center. That might explain the Indian accent - we have plenty of them in NJ you know...

Old 04-01-2010, 06:37 AM

1,184 posts, read 4,043,082 times
I agree about Direct TV. HD is great and signal strength is superb.

For Internet, check your speed against others. I use Speedtest.net. Below are my results this morning with an AirPort router and using a MacBook Pro wirelessly. If I have a chance, I'll show you what I get using a direct connection later on this morning.

Edit: Here are the results from a direct connection using same AirPort and now a MacPro.

As for cell service, I think it depends upon where you are using the cell phone most and what types of services you are looking for from the network. For me, I need cell service all the time, plus I need options for international service. I had Verizon for almost 15 years, going back to when it was Bell Atlantic. In all that time, two areas where I do a lot of work never had service. I finally gave up and switched over to AT&T now I have service in all the areas I do business in. The international calling options with AT&T are much, much better because I can continue to use my current phone without having to "rent" a new phone. And the current ad is correct. You can do both calls and surf the web at the same time on AT&T. Verizon won't let you do that.

AnesthesiaMD, your comment about service in hospitals is interesting. I've been in RWJUH, St. Peter's, Overlook, St. Barnabas, and CentraState in Freehold with no problems with AT&T. Interesting...

Last edited by RUNYYfan; 04-01-2010 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: Added speedtest results for hardwire connection

Old 04-01-2010, 06:39 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Many Customer Service offices except for Transit and a few others are done outside the US mainly in India due to the amount of English speaking ppl. The Accent varies state to state , just like here.
This trend has reversed in most cases - the only call centers operating out of India are mostly IT Help Desks, but customer service has drastically returned to the US, to less expensive states and to Canada (where people will surprisingly work for peanuts in places like Nova Scotia and Alberta).

Old 04-01-2010, 07:11 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,107 times
TV- DirecTV More channels than any cable service., More HD Channels, and best of all MLB/NFL!!
Internet - Cable - Faster than phone companies
Phone Land Line - MagicJack ($19 per year!)
Phone Cell - Sprint - $30/month -unlimited Data, unlimited text, Pick Any 3 Numbers, 500 Minutes

Old 04-01-2010, 05:03 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Free over the air digital TV. You can't beat the quality, don't watch it much anyway.
Sprint for cell phones and Verizon DSL. So so on Sprint, decent signal most places, they used to have a great deal on unlimited service at about $30 but the new CEO stopped that when he took over.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:00 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
I have the fios triple play, I VASTLY prefer it to cablevision. Better HD pic, better DVR, better channel guide and now the MSNBC is on fios its has the same channels plus some. My download is 12.43Mb down and 2.84 up (that seems really low??) over a wireless router with 4 laptops hooked to it.

Never tried direct TV.

I have ATT for cellular service and I will never switch. I am a total machead so I could never leave my iphone. I am a roadtripper every summer and travel to asia frequently as well. The only place my phone got no service was Ocracoke Island, NC they only have verizon. For 5 iphones my monthly service is $200, I get free tethering, unlimited texts and I have some ridiculous number (12k-ish) of minutes in rollover.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:49 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNYYfan View Post

AnesthesiaMD, your comment about service in hospitals is interesting. I've been in RWJUH, St. Peter's, Overlook, St. Barnabas, and CentraState in Freehold with no problems with AT&T. Interesting...
Operating rooms tend to be secluded areas with no windows nearby. In general, hospitals have spotty service at best, with some areas better than others. I work, or have worked in a couple of the hospitals you mentioned, and both had OR's that were/are Verizon only zones. Believe me. I used to have AT&T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey