Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2010, 08:42 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,978,689 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
My husband and I just found out we're pregnant and need to look for a bigger apartment. We currently live in Harlem, but i've heard some great things about parts of New Jersey. The only place I've been is Hoboken which I liked a lot, but not sure we can afford it.

We both work in Manhattan, so we need to stay within a commutable distance. We don't have a car. Here's what we're looking for:

- a 1.5 or 2 bedroom
- like to stay under $1700/month
- Ideally a washer/dryer in the apartment, but definitely in the building
- In a nice neighborhood - we'd like to be able to walk to restaurants, parks, cafe's etc.

Is downtown Jersey city a good idea? I just saw an apartment listing on 2nd St between Coles St and Jersey Av - any opinions?

thanks so much for your help!
Kris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 09:41 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,369,890 times
JC would be an option - but it is not that safe. If you dont have any kids and dont wonder the streets late at night, you should be OK.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:44 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,978,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
JC would be an option - but it is not that safe. If you dont have any kids and dont wonder the streets late at night, you should be OK.
hm. well i don't have kids at the moment but I will in about 8 months THanks for the info! any other suggestions?

Old 04-01-2010, 03:14 PM

381 posts, read 1,309,064 times
It's block by block in that part of JC. I think I remember looking on that block and finding it pretty seedy. There's not a lot going on in Weehawken but you might give it a try. The commute's great and you can definitely find apartments in that price range. It's also very safe. (I saw some stats put together recently by someone who posts here, and Weehawken's crime rate was stunningly low!) If you both work in the city, maybe you can do your free-time activities there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey